Jan 17, 2009
Visit site
✟11,055.00
Faith
Christian
YouTube Channel Video Devo

“God Uses ANYTHING And EVERYTHING”
Romans 8:28 NIV
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

On Sunday, our pastor was preaching a sermon regarding having joy in the midst of trials in our lives. He spoke about how we God uses all things in our lives to bring about His glory, no matter how painful they might be. People often get mad at God for things He allows to happen in our lives and people often question the goodness of Him and His love since He allows certain things to happen. It can be very confusing at times and leave us wondering where God is.

As I was sitting there listening, a scene came to mind from the 2011 Movie “Soul Surfer”, which tells the true tragic story of Bethany Hamilton of how she lost her left arm in a shark attack in 2003. When Bethany comes back home from the shark attack, her youth pastor asks her how she is doing. Bethany responds with a quick, “I’m ok, yeah I’m doing ok”. Her youth pastor says, “Bethany, you don’t need to be like that with me. Tell me how you’re really doing”. Bethany then breaks into tears and shares how her family is trying to be helpful and encourage her, but she’s really struggling to understand why God would allow such a thing to happen. Her youth pastor then says to her that she doesn’t understand why this happened, but says somehow and in some way, God will use this in a great way.

That scene has stuck in my mind since I saw the movie and it explains well how so many people struggle to find value in what has happened in their lives when terrible things happen. However, we must realize that God does work in ALL things, good and bad, and He works in ways we’d never imagine and does absolutely incredible things beyond our imagination. Bethany goes on to touch people’s lives in ways she never dreamed because other girls and surfers look up to her for having the courage to go back out into the water after such a vicious attack.

Friends, some of you out there either hurting from an attack in the past or are currently hurting and questioning why God would allow something so horrific to happen. Whatever you might be hurting from, please do not turn your back on Him. As painful and frustrating as it may be, God has a plan through that pain and He will never waste it. He will use it somehow and in some way in the future. Just don’t give up. Trust in Him.

I had to learn this many years ago when I experienced a very deep and painful hurt in ministry. It’s been over 8 years since then and I’ve watched God walk me through a lot of emotional recovery and helping me to understand some things I experienced by sharing with others.

We all need to remember that God always works things out in some way for His glory.

Reactions: Joseph G