Sylacauga, Alabama
✟26,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God is 3 personalities. 3 persons would be 3 God's. The fullness of the Godhead manifests eternally as Father, son, and Holy Spirit. We should know he is one almighty God. There is no other. A example of confusion years ago is when Benny Hinn said God is 9-nine 3 of each of the 3. 3 Fathers etc. a example to get the picture---Jesus prays to the Father and the Holy Spirit performs the power or action. I am hopeful that I am clear and understood

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God is 3 personalities. 3 persons would be 3 God's. The fullness of the Godhead manifests eternally as Father, son, and Holy Spirit. We should know he is one almighty God. There is no other. A example of confusion years ago is when Benny Hinn said God is 9-nine 3 of each of the 3. 3 Fathers etc. a example to get the picture---Jesus prays to the Father and the Holy Spirit performs the power or action. I am hopeful that I am clear and understood
How do you differentiate "personality" from "person"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Emun

Aug 31, 2022
BW
✟23,341.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The traditional/orthodox Trinity does not say that the 3 persons are 1 God (in the sense of person), but that the 3 persons are 1 God (in the sense of nature). Unfortunately, many do not grasp this.

To understand this better I would like to take the human being as an example, but this example is of course not perfect. Let's take 3 humans. These 3 humans are 3 persons. These 3 persons are 3 humans but in their nature they are one and the same and that is human. This is how you have to think of the Trinity, they are 3 gods because they are 3 persons, but in their nature they are one and the same.

DraculKain
DraculKain
Close, but those three humans have three wills and so on. The Trinity shares the one Divine Will and are one in all things, except for hypostasis.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is all a matter of definitions and framing. Theology has introduced a lot of invented words, concepts, and frameworks into this discussion. First off, when you do this you are essentially admitting you are having difficulty both understanding the matter and communicating what you think. You have to make up words to describe your thoughts, words not in the scripture. The introduction of new words, phrases, and definitions serves to fog the actual evidence. We do not need this. Just read the words from scripture. The same have also introduced frameworks, that is preconceived contexts designed to lead the reader, it will, "lead you down the garden path" to where they want you to go. Step off that garden path, and their premise disappears and you are left with the simple evidence.
If I were a clone of my father, I would, essentially, be the same biological person. The Word came out of "the womb" of God. He is spiritually the same person.

From my book "A Revelation of Who Jesus Is".

The Womb Of God​

It sounds odd to say God has a “womb.” In this case, the concept is metaphorical. The concept is used in the context that the Son existed in the bosom of the Father and after that He “issued forth” from the Father. Therefore, the Word/Son is of the same substance and identity as the Father.

Traditionally, Christians have taken Psalm 110 to be the words of the Father to the Son. From verse 1:
“The Lord said to my lord…

The immediate, pre-creation relationship of the Word is described as a child in the womb of God.

Psalms 110:1 (Brenton - Septuagint)
"The Lord said to my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool. The Lord shall send out a rod of power for thee out of Sion: rule thou in the midst of thine enemies. With thee is dominion in the day of thy power, in the splendours of thy saints: I have begotten thee from the womb before the morning."

Psalms 110:3 (Lamsa translation)
"Thy people shall be glorious in the day of thy power; arrayed in the beauty of holiness from the womb, I have begotten thee as a child from the ages."

Psalms 110:3 Darby
3 With thee is the principality in the day of thy strength: in the brightness of the saints: from the womb before the day star, I begot thee.

This Was The Understanding Of The Early Church Fathers.

"From the womb, before the morning star, have I begotten thee." - Justin Martyr, Dialogue with Trypho

"In the splendors of Thy holiness have I begotten Thee from the womb, before the morning star." - Justin Martyr, Dialogue with Trypho

“One must believe that the Son is begotten and born not from nothing, nor from some other substance, but from the womb of the Father [de Patris uter], that is, from his substance.” - Church Council of Toledo 675
(In Latin, “de Patris utero” — literally, from the uterus of the Father.)

"…it is said, ‘He who is in the bosom of the Father hath declared Him’ (John 1:18). But that which is the womb, is the bosom also. What meaneth, 'from the womb'? (Ps 110:3) From what is secret, from what is hidden; from Myself, from My substance; this is the meaning of 'from the womb.' Let us then understand the Father saying unto the Son, 'From my womb before the morning star I have brought Thee forth." -Augustine of Hippo
“The term derives from John 1:18, ‘No one has ever seen God; the only Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, has made him known.” The Greek text here has kolpos, ‘bosom’, but the early Syriac translators chose to render the word, not by kenpa, ’lap bosom’, but by ‘ubba’, which has a much wider range of meaning than does kolpos and includes ‘womb’ as well as ‘lap’.- Sebastian Brock University of Oxford “The Luminous Eye
The earliest Syriac version of John 1:18 reads,
‘the only-begotten Son, which is from the womb of the Father,’

This wording was kept in the Peshitta version.

Let us reiterate that we are in no wise suggesting that God is female or that He has an actual womb such as a human woman; only that this term is used several times by the ancients to describe the “begetting” of the Son from the Father. In the beginning, the Word was within God and after that was born out of God. We will expound on this relationship further.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,621.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hmm. That sounds a bit like Modalism to my ears. It's probably better to use the categories commonly used by the Church to avoid confusion. "Person" has a specific meaning and is perhaps best defined in the Athenasian Creed.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The traditional/orthodox Trinity does not say that the 3 persons are 1 God (in the sense of person), but that
the 3 persons are 1 God (in the sense of nature). Unfortunately, many do not grasp this.

To understand this better I would like to take the human being as an example, but this example is of course not perfect. Let's take 3 humans. These 3 humans are 3 persons. These 3 persons are 3 humans but in their nature they are one and the same and that is human. This is how you have to think of the Trinity, they are 3 gods because they are 3 persons, but in their nature they are one and the same.
It's in the sense of being. Father, Son and Holy Spirit are three persons in one Being (God), as I am one being (Clare).

All humans have one and the same nature, but they are not all one being.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brodav9@thicket

Feb 2, 2022
Sylacauga, Alabama
✟26,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus did become a person, that was when His Holy Spirit placed him in Mary womb. In Rom. 8:9 The Spirit of God and the Spirit of Christ. Matt. 1:18 Mary was found of the child by the Holy Spirit. only a person could go to cross.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Three Persons, one God. Not "three personalities".

The word "Person" here emphasizes that the Three are distinct Someones. The Father is distinct from the Son and the Holy Spirit, for example; He is the Father, that is Who He is. He is called Father because He is Father of the Son.

The Father is Father of the Son, the Son is the Son of the Father, the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of the Father and the Son. It's about relationship, how the Three relate to One Another.

And at the same time, there is only one God. For the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God. Not three gods, but one God. The Father in begetting the Son has not begotten something else, but rather God begets God; the Son is God because He is of the same Being as the Father. Likewise, the Holy Spirit is God because He proceeds from the Father [and the Son], He has the same Being as the Father and the Son. What the Father is, the Son is and the Spirit is. So if the Father is God, then the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God. If the Father is the one and only God, then the Son is the one and only God, and the Holy Spirit is the one and only God.

So that there is one God and three Persons. The Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God: one God.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Jesus did become a person, that was when His Holy Spirit placed him in Mary womb. In Rom. 8:9 The Spirit of God and the Spirit of Christ. Matt. 1:18 Mary was found of the child by the Holy Spirit. only a person could go to cross.

Jesus was eternally a Person, the Divine Logos and only-begotten Son of the Father. Jesus is an Eternal and Divine Person, He's the Son.

When He was conceived in Mary's womb by the power of the Holy Spirit, He became man. But He has always been a Person, He has always been Himself: Only-begotten Son of the Father. He became, by the Incarnation, the offspring of Mary, that is why Mary is called Theotokos (literally: "Birth-giver of God") and mother of God, because Jesus, who has always been God, is conceived in her womb as a man.

So Jesus is one Person, He has always been one Person, a Divine Person, the Son of the Father; this one Divine Person of the Son who has always been God by His eternal generation from the Father has, in Mary's womb, become also human. So He is both fully human and fully God, without separation or confusion, in His one Undivided Person.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I noticed you failed to capitalize "son" when speaking of Christ, so already along with the rest of what you've said suggests to me you do not really... believe in 3 personalities in The Godhead either.

For Jesus Christ to be in... The Godhead, it means He is God The Son.

Isa 9:6
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
KJV

Like Jesus told Apostle Philip, "he that hath seen me hath seen The Father" (John 14:8-9).

As a matter of fact, Jesus' name "Immanuel" in Isaiah 7 means 'God with us' per Matthew 1:23.

So there should NEVER, EVER be any doubt by the faithful Christian that Jesus Christ is God also, one of 3 Persons in The Godhead. And there is a strong... reason why doubting this is very dangerous to one's soul...

If The Christ is not God, then it would mean Jesus was not God The Savior as per Old Testament prophecy, and that He would thus have NO POWER to forgive our sins! That is what it means to try and say Jesus of Nazareth is NOT GOD The Son. It would make His Salvation a joke, and that is exactly... what the devil wants to do! So doubting that Jesus Christ is God The Son should NEVER be an idea spewed out of ANY true Christian's mouth!

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
God is 3 personalities. 3 persons would be 3 God's.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God is three separate persons:

1) The Son is subject to the Father, for the Son is sent by the Father in the Father's name (Jn 5:23, 36, 43).

2) The Spirit is subject to the Father, for the Spirit is sent by the Father in the Son's name (Jn 14:26).

3) The Spirit is subject to the Son as well as the Father, for the Spirit is sent by the Son as well as the Father (Jn 15:26, 16:7, 14:26).

A person doesn't send himself, he sends another person.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe hypostasis is better than prosopon? "Personality" feels too much like modalism. A personality is a feature of a person. I wouldn't think of a personality as an accident (in the philosophical sense), strictly speaking, even though it adheres in a substance/person. At least, there is something central and unifying about a personality that distinguishes it from other accidentals a person might have, e.g., I don't think having a personality is on the same level as having red hair, but it's not far off. Whatever the case, since all persons are instances of the same essence (being human), and since personalities vary between persons so that we can't say they all share instances of the same essential personality, I think we can say a person is a hypostasis (a substance that "stands under" all other relevant features and in which those features adhere) and a personality is not. It should also be noted that the scriptures seem to present each person as having distinct agency. They each act in relation to and on behalf of each other so that the conclusion they are distinct hypostases is warranted.

One thing I have found helpful in thinking about the Trinity is making a distinction in terms of what we can know about God based on the distinction between the divine essence and the three persons. The three persons are the revelation of the divine essence to us; the divine essence being inscrutable (unknowable by us) in and of itself. It's common to refer to this distinction as the difference between the immanent Trinity (divine essence) and the economic Trinity (the divine essence revealed to us as three persons). If we accept that distinction, then I think Karl Rahner's famous line is instructive: The immanent Trinity is the economic Trinity, and the economic Trinity is the immanent Trinity. One issue that arises in talking about the persons as revelation is the temptation to think in terms of mere revelation (where the revelation is not the thing revealed). Rahner's line corrects that by ensuring the strict identification of the two so that there is a guarantee that what know via revelation has content and veracity, i.e. I really know God if I know the revelation. Rahner's main concern was that many Christian's conceptions of God were not really Trinitarian. I think he makes a helpful corrective.

That being said, and this is where I think Rahner is missing something, revelation is for the purpose of the understanding of intelligent creatures. Although we can say, pace Rahner, that we really know something about God via the revelation of the three persons who are God, we cannot identify the inscrutable divine essence with any intelligent creature's understanding. Why does that matter? There is no revelation outside that which is understood by some creature (God doesn't need revelation in that sense). So Rahner's corrective has to be understood in light of the understanding of intelligent creatures. Yes, the essence is the persons and the persons are the essence, but our understanding of the Trinity is primarily limited to one side of that identification. (We might think we can speculate about the divine essence, and that is true, but as far as the Trinity is concerned and our knowing God, the revelation is primary. This is where folks like Aquinas are mistaken, and it becomes obvious when you realize his doctrine of God and his doctrine of the Trinity are not really related, which is why they have their own sections. His inability to connect the conception of God as pure act in a coherent way with the three persons makes it glaring. At any rate, we wouldn't be speaking about the Trinity had there not been the revelation of three in the scriptures).

All that to say, I think most people balk at the orthodox Trinitarian formula because they want to resolve the logic tension it entails. Unfortunately, that logical tension is unavoidable because 1) the doctrine developed primarily by way of negation in that it is the result of a process of rejecting other positive statements, e.g. there was a time the Son was not, and 2) it wasn't so much developed to deliver positive cognitive content ( I don't think one can form a mental conception of the Trinity) but to keep one from falling into one of the positions that were rejected as heresy. The function of the Trinitarian formula is more about setting up boundaries than delivering positive cognitive content. So, instead of trying to resolve the logical tension by rejecting or adjusting either side of the identification, it is more helpful to understand the limitations of one's own ability to conceptualize God in light of what the formula is communicating. We know God as triune because that is how God has been revealed, and that revelation is for our sake, but there are limits. We can know who God is but we cannot know what God is. The divine essence will always transcend our ability to comprehend in any final way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

1) The Son is subject to the Father, for the Son is sent by the Father in the Father's name (Jn 5:23, 36, 43).

2) The Spirit is subject to the Father, for the Spirit is sent by the Father in the Son's name (Jn 14:26).

3) The Spirit is subject to the Son as well as the Father, for the Spirit is sent by the Son as well as the Father (Jn 15:26, 16:7, 14:26).

Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Amen

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for changing your post.

I don't know if God is three separate persons. But He is 3 distinguishable persons with distinguishable personalities but have only one will, only one “consciousness”. There are many explanations for the Trinity that fall into 3 general categories:

1) The economic Trinity described by @public hermit above.
2) The social Trinity usually taught in Evangelical circles. I dislike this explanation as it seems to me like 3 Gods.
3) The monarchial Trinity, which makes more sense to me. This is the Eastern Orthodox understanding.

The misunderstanding is complicated in the West by translating "ousia" into "substance", based on Tertullian.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.