Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You two sound like you're married.:pciuu:

Oh, we basically are. Me and quatona/klaus go back to the good old (or maybe not?) general apologetics days.

He's also my favorite poster, maybe of all time. Even though to him I don't understand (willfully or not) half of what he's saying. :)

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Oh, we basically are. Me and quatona/klaus go back to the good old (or maybe not?) general apologetics days.

He's also my favorite poster, maybe of all time. Even though to him I don't understand (willfully or not) half of what he's saying. :)

:) Sounds like its been a looooong dialogue for sure.

Upvote 0

Received

True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Received is, I´m not.

Bahahaha, so I'm the dude in love with you and only *thinks* the time we spend by the pool and that time you bought me an ice cream means we're in a relationship?

You cold killer you.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, because we all know what you mean by evidence and self-negating falsifiability.

And hidden in this statement is the absence of evidence is the evidence of absence. When you really properly consider the question of God, you're basically down to the old question of why there's something rather than nothing: God either created stuff or he didn't. This is a purely 50/50 bet here.

Considering the thousands of god concepts to pick from, it is hardly a 50-50 bet. Maybe 50% no god vs. 0.1% for any particular god, but in that case I know the safest bet.

Even without any evidence at all, to claim that evidence is "wanting" either presupposes some complicated scientifically biased projection onto the problem (e.g., you shouldn't believe in anything unless you have evidence -- which of course is self-negating) or that you're not metaphysically considering the 50/50 chance of God existing giving the dichotomy presented above.

Or it is just being reasonable and not believing in stuff when there's no reason to. No need for made up mumbo-jumbo metaphysical this or presupposes that to explain that approach to life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
I personally go the other route, I say, belief in God gives me truths to believe in (which in a roundabout way satisfies a need for the truth I have, I guess).

This sort of thing has been a bugbear for me for a while now though, I am even currently debating it with someone else - if God satisfies certain things that are good, how can you argue that the possibility of not believing in Him for less of a reason is somehow equally valid? (It just doesn't make sense)

Upvote 0

Nooj

Senior Veteran
Jan 9, 2005
Sydney
✟19,215.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
AU-Greens
It does appear that individuals get the feeling of security, being loved, meaning in life, guidelines for morality, etc from their belief in a god. No *actual* gods required.

i personally don't see how believing in a god gives individuals feelings of security, being loved, meaning in life, guidelines for morality etc.

since the opposite can clearly be true. (feeling on insecurity, feeling of being hated or hounded by god, uncertainty about life, destruction of moral guidelines)

and as a religious person, believing in god gives me very little, or nothing. not even a warm fuzzy feeling. the benefits i get from being a religious person don't come from my end, not my mental assent to the proposition that god exists, not going to church, not whatever. any benefits i get, come almost accidentally, incidentally (i think from god) and might just as well come to a non-believing person in a similar or completely different scenario.

so again, believing in god gives me very little or nothing, and i don't see why or by what mechanism, belief in a god could or would give a religious person 'feelings of security' or 'being loved' etc.

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
I personally go the other route, I say, belief in God gives me truths to believe in (which in a roundabout way satisfies a need for the truth I have, I guess).
How circular.
This sort of thing has been a bugbear for me for a while now though, I am even currently debating it with someone else - if God satisfies certain things that are good, how can you argue that the possibility of not believing in Him for less of a reason is somehow equally valid? (It just doesn't make sense)
You are thinking of disbelief as a belief. Disbelief is not a belief. It does not require justification.

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
i personally don't see how believing in a god gives individuals feelings of security, being loved, meaning in life, guidelines for morality etc.

since the opposite can clearly be true. (feeling on insecurity, feeling of being hated or hounded by god, uncertainty about life, destruction of moral guidelines)

and as a religious person, believing in god gives me very little, or nothing. not even a warm fuzzy feeling. the benefits i get from being a religious person don't come from my end, not my mental assent to the proposition that god exists, not going to church, not whatever. any benefits i get, come almost accidentally, incidentally (i think from god) and might just as well come to a non-believing person in a similar or completely different scenario.

so again, believing in god gives me very little or nothing, and i don't see why or by what mechanism, belief in a god could or would give a religious person 'feelings of security' or 'being loved' etc.
Perhaps you believe in a different god than the other individuals on this forum that do claim they derive meaning in life, guidelines for morality etc. from their religion.

Upvote 0

Nooj

Senior Veteran
Jan 9, 2005
Sydney
✟19,215.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
AU-Greens
Perhaps you believe in a different god than the other individuals on this forum that do claim they derive meaning in life, guidelines for morality etc. from their religion.
i believe in the christian god. i just don't think that purely believing has any benefits.

Upvote 0