• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Giving God the glory infront of your psychiatrist

T

trentlogain2

How goes the battle?

When you visit your doctor, and they ask you how you have been doing, and hypothetically you say "I'm doing great!"

Do you give credit to God for your health? If you don't or have never done it, I would encourage you to take the opportunity to give Him the praise. It's a witness. They might not believe in Jesus Christ, but they won't be able to say anything to you about it, especially if God is healing you and you are doing better.

"Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name."

-Psalms 103:1

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How goes the battle?

When you visit your doctor, and they ask you how you have been doing, and hypothetically you say "I'm doing great!"

Do you give credit to God for your health? If you don't or have never done it, I would encourage you to take the opportunity to give Him the praise. It's a witness. They might not believe in Jesus Christ, but they won't be able to say anything to you about it, especially if God is healing you and you are doing better.

How true - bless His Holy Name!!!

About talking with your doctor about your faith. Please beware, they'll try and number you and force you to conform to their ways, saying that faith doesn't work and that they have the numbers to prove it.

I gave God the glory all the time and they added that as a negative symptom to my list of labels. Just recently my Therapist sacked me, all because I challenged him challenging my faith.

In my case, though I have co-operated and honestly revealed what went on in my head, both pdoctors and therapists condemned me, and I have only a Christian GP left to assist me!

Many blessings your way.

:wave:

Upvote 0

lotuseskimo

Apr 12, 2008
U.S.
Visit site
✟17,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
lol! He doesn't giva hoot.

Thank you I had not done this, it was missing from my appointments.

I got blessed with my pychiatrist, fortuneately for patients who must go to county docters, the best place to have a job if you are a phyciatrist is with the government, I asked him if he was here merely to make enough money to own his own private practice but he laughed and said he had come here from his own practice (I get services through the county and for awhile my pyciatrist would literally change EVERY MONTH, they were working county till they could move on to their own practice), and told me he did not like having his own office it was to much of a hassele, ALSO, that the insureance companys are downgradeing their income, so, if they want a private practice, they must get more patients to keep the salery they had prevoisely had, but if you work for the state, the Government has been forced to up the wages of their phyciatrists, he explained why but I didn't understand. He also likes the pention plan (I don't know what that is). YAY for poor patients!!

It is so important to give God Glory, I'm ashamed I didn't know this.

Upvote 0

KatyAD

Dec 16, 2008
✟7,672.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
My therapist believes in God enough to pray for me. I got schitz about 6 years ago, and I have always had faith that Jesus will take it away. But a couple visits ago, she asked me who has helped you the most since you got sick? I told her treight out that it was Jesus. I explained to her about how I am going to be healed. She basicly said that she didn't believe that Jesus was going to heal me. She believes people get healed but she didn't think I would. She told me I should stop beleaving in that because its basicly a waste of time and energy. I'm telling you, if i had been able to think i would have told her off. But I am not good with words. And also standing up for myself or God is very hard for me.

-Katy

Upvote 0

blade_302

Jul 17, 2009
✟7,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i dont think its right for a doctor to question ones beleifs and say that it doesnt help.it always helps.in big ways and in suttle ways.but i find you have to find the right balance because you can become spiritually ill.as the old saying goes "too much of something is a bad thing" so keep it simple true pure.stay strong.keep hope.stay justified.thats all i can say really

Upvote 0
Jul 17, 2009
✟15,120.00
Faith
Mormon
I will glorify God the next time a doctor asks how I'm doing. He deserves it.

I was recently diagnosed with phsycophrenia and I don't think of it as a bad thing or some thing I need to be healed of. God has given me many other great abilities that allow me to spread the gospel of Christ to so many people. So while I may have phsycophrenia, I also have many other abilities.

God bless you all.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My therapist believes in God enough to pray for me. I got schitz about 6 years ago, and I have always had faith that Jesus will take it away. But a couple visits ago, she asked me who has helped you the most since you got sick? I told her treight out that it was Jesus. I explained to her about how I am going to be healed. She basicly said that she didn't believe that Jesus was going to heal me. She believes people get healed but she didn't think I would. She told me I should stop beleaving in that because its basicly a waste of time and energy. I'm telling you, if i had been able to think i would have told her off. But I am not good with words. And also standing up for myself or God is very hard for me.

-Katy

Never give in fellow battler, they tried to rob me of my faith as well, but though I almost gave in, the bottomless pit God used to redirect me to Him.

I love Him for saving me from my terror.

God heals us spiritually and this will lead to renewed psychical abilities to cope and deal with our mental illness as well.

The Test is do we love God with all our being and our neighbour as ourselves, this commandment heals us true.

This amounts to healing for me, for bad becomes good and hard becomes easy so what is the problem?

:wave:

Upvote 0

pinkputter

unending love, amazing grace
May 21, 2007
United States
✟10,504.00
Faith
Christian
Praise God for this thread :)

I was originally diagnosed with schizo. and now they are leaning toward bi polar. However, there's not a clear diagnosis any one can give me at this point. I had issues with this bc in the beginning I was more at the mercy of psychiatry than I am now. I surrendered to treatment, which is what anyone who has legitimate mental illness of any kind should do, however, I also thought of them as so well-trained and intelligent that I didn't think to question it.

At this point now, I am pretty sure my 1st psychiatrist i had for out patient is NOT a christian, in fact he has the spirit of the antichrist and did not have my best interest in mind.

as much as i would love to do what you all here have talked about, give Glory to God, i wasnt really in a poistion to at that point..i was heavily medicated in the beginning but eventually was off meds completely. Well soon after i had some traumatic experiences happen and i got angry (he saw it as a relapse). He kept asking if i had something "against" him...he knows i am a CHristian, and he probably was sensitive to that bc like i said im pretty sure he wasn't.

Long story short i have had some bad experiences with psych.docs.

I did say, so I hear the voice of God and Mother Mary, does that mean i have mental illness??

no, im not in denial of my illness but i did want him to know people with Faith can experience that and it does not neccessarily mean they r psycho..

I love my therapist though, he's a great person and therapist...havent had problems with him like those of my 2 psych.docs. i've gone through. hmm wonder why...oh yeah...he's a CHristian! amazing what a difference that can make!
we talk about our Faith and God a lot. I told him i believe in miracles, referring to the fact that i haven't heard voices since treatment. And before treatment God, said the worst is over...and i believe HIM...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ERice2nd

Oct 7, 2006
Michigan
✟16,346.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Praise God for this thread :)

I was originally diagnosed with schizo. and now they are leaning toward bi polar. However, there's not a clear diagnosis any one can give me at this point. I had issues with this bc in the beginning I was more at the mercy of psychiatry than I am now. I surrendered to treatment, which is what anyone who has legitimate mental illness of any kind should do, however, I also thought of them as so well-trained and intelligent that I didn't think to question it.

At this point now, I am pretty sure my 1st psychiatrist i had for out patient is NOT a christian, in fact he has the spirit of the antichrist and did not have my best interest in mind.

as much as i would love to do what you all here have talked about, give Glory to God, i wasnt really in a poistion to at that point..i was heavily medicated in the beginning but eventually was off meds completely. Well soon after i had some traumatic experiences happen and i got angry (he saw it as a relapse). He kept asking if i had something "against" him...he knows i am a CHristian, and he probably was sensitive to that bc like i said im pretty sure he wasn't.

Long story short i have had some bad experiences with psych.docs.

I did say, so I hear the voice of God and Mother Mary, does that mean i have mental illness??

no, im not in denial of my illness but i did want him to know people with Faith can experience that and it does not neccessarily mean they r psycho..

I love my therapist though, he's a great person and therapist...havent had problems with him like those of my 2 psych.docs. i've gone through. hmm wonder why...oh yeah...he's a CHristian! amazing what a difference that can make!
we talk about our Faith and God a lot. I told him i believe in miracles, referring to the fact that i haven't heard voices since treatment. And before treatment God, said the worst is over...and i believe HIM...

My therapist/counselor (whatever term you like :)) is a Christian too and that helps so much when she tries to explain mind reading to me and such things. Just today we talked about the only person who can hear thoughts and of course we all know who that is :). I am unsure about my current Psychiatrist though but it wouldnt surprise me if he is Christian. He has that passive loving nature that I see in many Christians. He really cares about my illness and even asks for my input on treatment. He doesnt just give me medicine and say "take this", no, he ask me which medicine I want to try first and then we discuss it together :).

I thank God every day for sending me to that place finally. So long in suffering and I didnt go to get the help that God readily provided. Well, God kept pushing and so finally, stubborn me made the choice to follow where God was directing me. I give God full credit for the help I am receiving.

Upvote 0

Fangtastic

plays with logs
Feb 7, 2005
Atomic Space Someplace
✟9,950.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How goes the battle?

I have never felt the way you do. Nobody and nothing is going to'heal' me. It is what it is man. It is what it is.....
My Doc is Jewish and we rarely have spoken on religious terms.

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2010
Pennsylvania.
✟7,957.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How goes the battle?

If you act delusional about it then there may be some grounds for concern with your psychiatrist, especially if your psychiatrist knows that your Schizos are related to delusional speak about God. Always be careful about what you say unless you are desperately reaching out for help and have no other way of expression, then speak your Schizos.

However, if you're just going to casually say God is good, praise Jesus then it is ok to in front of your psychiatrist. Just don't go on some sort of rant. Listen to the words of experience. Ranting your schizos off the wall will just get you a trip to the Psych ward. Unless that is where you need to be its best not to mix the pych visit with too much religion or else it may even go on your record.

Psychiatry and religion are not bedfellows. Many psychiatrists merely see religion as part of the problem with mental illness which is not unjust, seeing that many Schizophrenic delusions focus on religion. Always know what is acceptable behavior and what is not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

blueskies001

Apr 8, 2011
✟7,638.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
delusional speak about God.
Yeah I've heard about people having this.

But I'm 100% sure about this: delusions can well be on any topic that a person is interested in, scared of, annoyed with, obsessed with, wants to know more about, etc, etc. It all depends on the individual, what is occupying their mind at that instant, or what has been occupying their mind, that determines the content of delusions. If a person is a christian, then maybe, depending on their circumstance, when they are ill, they may have delusions about God. If a person is not a Christian, they may, for example, start thinking about spiritual things at that point in time, and therefore become delusional about God. If a person is a Christian, they may start avoiding God at that point, and their delusions might be about fluffy teddy bears and princesses. If a person is not a Christian, and have ignored God all their life, they may continue ignoring God when ill, and have delusions about pirates etc. Those are just random examples. My point is, the content of delusions depends purely on the individual, the individual's personality, and circumstances of their life, nothing to do with religion.

Many psychiatrists merely see religion as part of the problem with mental illness which is not unjust
It is unjust. Religion shouldn't be blamed for mental illness. I've had to defend my faith several times when 'therapists' believed religion should be blamed because of their experiences with some people. When two things appear together, ie. delusions and religious thoughts, it doesn't mean one causes the other. It just means that they are occuring at the same time.

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2010
Pennsylvania.
✟7,957.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yeah I've heard about people having this.

But I'm 100% sure about this: delusions can well be on any topic that a person is interested in, scared of, annoyed with, obsessed with, wants to know more about, etc, etc. It all depends on the individual, what is occupying their mind at that instant, or what has been occupying their mind, that determines the content of delusions. If a person is a christian, then maybe, depending on their circumstance, when they are ill, they may have delusions about God. If a person is not a Christian, they may, for example, start thinking about spiritual things at that point in time, and therefore become delusional about God. If a person is a Christian, they may start avoiding God at that point, and their delusions might be about fluffy teddy bears and princesses. If a person is not a Christian, and have ignored God all their life, they may continue ignoring God when ill, and have delusions about pirates etc. Those are just random examples. My point is, the content of delusions depends purely on the individual, the individual's personality, and circumstances of their life, nothing to do with religion.

It is unjust. Religion shouldn't be blamed for mental illness. I've had to defend my faith several times when 'therapists' believed religion should be blamed because of their experiences with some people. When two things appear together, ie. delusions and religious thoughts, it doesn't mean one causes the other. It just means that they are occuring at the same time.

When I said not unjust I meant not without cause. Sorry for not being clear.

The mention of religion is a known source of delusion. That is why it is important that one keeps ones remarks in the confines of the sane. Just think what a normal person would think and say to someone; and then act accordingly to your psychiatrist. My whole point is sanity. Be careful of what you say, make the correct impression when you are speaking to people. Sanity, make known your sanity. This way there will be no complications. I'm in no way saying not to praise God. I'm saying do it in a manner that is appropriate in conveying your own state of mind, of calm and stability, leaving the impression upon your psychiatrist that they are dealing with a stable person.

Upvote 0