Germany's Catholic Church Just Took An Amazing Step For LGBT And Remarried Catholics

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Hmm. Funny how you can know that when I didn't post my position,
Since I'm inferring from the dilemma, not from the position, I don't need to know the position. If you find yourself in the dilemma you describe, that raises the question I pose.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Christians are "damned if we do, and damned if we don't" in conversations like this that revolve around highly emotionally-driven political topics. We are told that you cannot condemn homosexual marriage if you do not also condemn heterosexual divorce, for instance. To do otherwise would be "hypocritical" (which is maybe the only real sin there is anymore). But then you look at a country like Chile -- they're overwhelmingly Catholic and didn't legalize divorce until 2004 (!), after a long and hard-fought campaign by the Church to block the law, and campaigners on the other side framing things in terms of "human rights". Hmm...sound familiar? And to be sure, there were many loopholes by which marriages were ended or just ignored under the old, no-divorce-allowing system (usually involving the tactic that should be familiar to Catholics -- the 'annulment by technicality' play), but at least we had a primarily Catholic population in a state that upheld the RC stance on this issue. But that's just it: Stand up against divorce and disallow it and you're taking away other peoples' "human rights" and/or forcing them to be hypocrites via other avenues to get what they want. Don't stand up against it and it's a never-ending chorus of "Geez...dang Christians can't stop obsessing over gayness to focus on their own failing marriages! What hypocrites!" Apparently you lose your right to be against anything if you're not against everything in equal measure all the time -- even if these other things are unrelated to the topic at hand, and even if the people you're talking to would hate that even more than your current "hypocritical" stance (because it would end up with more "human rights" being curtailed as you force more and more of your views on everyone else...you know, like they told you to, so as to avoid being a hypocrite).

You can't win because literally any move you make that isn't complete and uncritical acceptance of anything another human being does or defines themselves by* will be spun to make you a horrible, gay-bashing, inhuman monster/hypocrite. Stop playing.

(* "acceptance" which will not be returned in kind regarding how you choose to live or define yourself, mind you; you give that up always and forever unless you reform your view on whatever the issue is to match that of your interlocutor on the "pro" side of whatever you're against.)
There has been a steady erosion of bedrock Christian values with the relentless encroachment of leftist values throughout the Western world. This is not an argument that conservatives or traditionalists can win either, for indeed the leftist control the media to the extent that the only sin remaining for the media is the sin of conservatism, to be a Tea party kind of person, as it has been so succinctly put by the leftists in this very thread.

It is not a question of winning or losing any more, I don't think, but a question of how to handle the fallout that inevitably arises as the left ruins everything across the former lands of Christendom. People divorce all the time now because that is a victory that the left won generations ago.
So the question becomes, does the Church ostracize divorced and remarried people from all jobs that they have the skills to do in the Church, or do we find ways to be inclusive?
Likewise, is our solution going to be to gather into tight exclusive circles when gay members of our families and churches open up, or do we open ourselves up to their company too?
For Catholics, and for Orthodox folk too, the teaching and the values are the same as they ever were. Our churches and our families are our own ground. If gays and remarried do not want to include us on our own terms, I guess that is up to them.
But for those of us who are firm in our faith and firm in our own values, an open door policy is what Christianity has always been about. It has never been about winning or losing. It is about sharing. Of course for those who see being a conservative as being the sin, they have already closed the doors on us anyway. But for any who want to commune with us, accepting us as traditional and conservative Christians on our own terms, the door is always open, as far as I am concerned anyway.

It is not about winning or losing for Christians. It is about being there.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
When I address one, the other chips in and says "it's not about that, it's about.." address that and the other chips in with the reverse.

I am referring to the concerns of the Church. Whatever someone else thinks it might be is both wrong and irrelevant to me.

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
We seem to be saying that marriage should only be about reproduction, and that, therefore, the state should not allow any marriage whose primary purpose is not reproduction.

Further we seem to be saying that sexual activity that is not focused on reproduction is unnatural.

That is not what the Church is saying.

Homosexuals cannot get married.
People cannot get remarried unless their spouse is dead or with some very exceptional circumstances.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
There has been a steady erosion of bedrock Christian values with the relentless encroachment of leftist values throughout the Western world. This is not an argument that conservatives or traditionalists can win either, for indeed the leftist control the media to the extent that the only sin remaining for the media is the sin of conservatism, to be a Tea party kind of person, as it has been so succinctly put by the leftists in this very thread.

It is not a question of winning or losing any more, I don't think, but a question of how to handle the fallout that inevitably arises as the left ruins everything across the former lands of Christendom. People divorce all the time now because that is a victory that the left won generations ago.
So the question becomes, does the Church ostracize divorced and remarried people from all jobs that they have the skills to do in the Church, or do we find ways to be inclusive?
Likewise, is our solution going to be to gather into tight exclusive circles when gay members of our families and churches open up, or do we open ourselves up to their company too?
For Catholics, and for Orthodox folk too, the teaching and the values are the same as they ever were. Our churches and our families are our own ground. If gays and remarried do not want to include us on our own terms, I guess that is up to them.
But for those of us who are firm in our faith and firm in our own values, an open door policy is what Christianity has always been about. It has never been about winning or losing. It is about sharing. Of course for those who see being a conservative as being the sin, they have already closed the doors on us anyway. But for any who want to commune with us, accepting us as traditional and conservative Christians on our own terms, the door is always open, as far as I am concerned anyway.

It is not about winning or losing for Christians. It is about being there.

an interesting question indeed.
keeping the balance between having an open door on the one hand, and being overrun by those who hate what the church (still) stands for on the other hand, is a difficult problem to solve.

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
I fail to see why these types of silly arguments always come about, where pro-LGBT folks come in here and try to somehow name a list of sins that "outdo" sodomy in order to justify it and make it seem half normal while making the person who is plunging body parts into another man's hind end somehow on a par with a person not giving enough to charity. Ugh....

It's really not about the gravity of the sin - it's about the fact it is absolutely wrong without question and it's being made public.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I am referring to the concerns of the Church. Whatever someone else thinks it might be is both wrong and irrelevant to me.
What you say the church says is opposite to what they say the church says.

Unless someone has appointed you to speak on behalf of the church...

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where is Stray Bullet wrong? The catechism teaches homosexuality to be disordered and that gay sex is intrinsically wrong/against the natural order. The Church teaches it is sin. What do you claim they teach about it? To have same-sex temptations is one thing, to act on them another.

What you say the church says is opposite to what they say the church says.

Unless someone has appointed you to speak on behalf of the church...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Where is Stray Bullet wrong? The catechism teaches homosexuality to be disordered and that gay sex is intrinsically wrong/against the natural order. The Church teaches it is sin. What do you claim they teach about it? To have same-sex temptations is one thing, to act on them another.
I am not sure of where he was contradicting church teaching either.
From what I recall, he would be one that would know exactly what the teaching was on the matter of homosexuality.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It would be a mistake to allow gays to work in the institutions if they chose to marry or live with a partner and it causes scandals... etc
Just saying...
If you leave the door open - too much can blow in or out.

Upvote 0

IHOM

Jun 20, 2015
✟1,755.00
The church is under massive pressure from the new world order to conform to it... i am afraid this type of thing is going to get worse... the great ship is up against the rocks and getting bashed from all sides... there will be loses i am afraid... but we must keep the faith

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That is why it's good to pray this:

Holy Michael, the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do you, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God cast into hell Satan and all the evil spirits who wander through the world seeking the ruin of souls.

We say this prayer after every Mass in my Church

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It would be a mistake to allow gays to work in the institutions if they chose to marry or live with a partner and it causes scandals... etc
Just saying...
If you leave the door open - too much can blow in or out.
I do agree with you.

All people-regardless of their sexual orientation- are loved by God and deserve respect, dignity and compassion. period. HOWEVER, saying "You can still work here, it's ok if you are married to your same-sex partner, or cohabiting" etc is false compassion, not love".

Just my two cents.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have known lots of gay music ministers, including a real prodigy who was an organist and choir director in high school. The church lost someone who could have been an organist in the great cathedrals and who participates in international competitions. Our loss is a Protestant church's gain.

Upvote 0