German Bishop at Synod (“Walking Together”) says we must stop “clinging to habits and traditionalisms” including APOSTOLIC TRADITION

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am forced to wonder if… forced to hope that… what a thing to think… that this bishop doesn’t know what Apostolic Tradition is.

What did I just write?!?

Continued below.

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I predict Frankie will do absolutely nothing about this guy. He will probably, however, level anther salvo at American Catholics who cling bitterly to Holy Scripture and the Patristic Deposit of the Faith.

"When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”
----Luke 21:28

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Understand the difference between Sacred Tradition with a "capital T" and tradition with a small "t."

As an example, priestly celibacy is a small "t" tradition and can change. Abstaining from
meat on Fridays, was a small "t" tradition and it did in fact change to just being during
Lent.

An example of a Sacred Tradition is "Christ has come, Christ has Risen, Christ will Come Again.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am forced to wonder if… forced to hope that… what a thing to think… that this bishop doesn’t know what Apostolic Tradition is.

What did I just write?!?

Continued below.
This guy should not be a bishop in the Catholic Church, let alone a Catholic priest. He would fit right in as an Episcopalian or any number of liberal Protestant groups that have severed themselves from the Apostolic Tradition. But as a Catholic, no. I wonder if pope Francis or for that matter Tucho will correct him? Or promote him?

The occasion of this synod IS useful for allowing people to reveal themselves. The sides are getting very clear. There will apparently be a synod closing letter that will let us know more. It seems very much a bishop vs bishop, cardinal vs cardinal kind of thing almost unimaginable a generation ago.

I noticed that auxiliary bishop Athanasius Schneider has a new catechism coming out. It will be published by Sophia Institute Press.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I noticed that auxiliary bishop Athanasius Schneider has a new catechism coming out. It will be published by Sophia Institute Press.

I got it ... I like it! :blush:
(They announced it at the Catholic Identity Conference, just days after its release.)

The book is writen in 'question and answer' format, so it's easy to find the answers to one's questions.
It's called "Credo: Compendium of the Catholic Faith", available on Amazon.

(imo, it's worth the $$)

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I got it ... I like it! :blush:
(They announced it at the Catholic Identity Conference, just days after its release.)

The book is writen in 'question and answer' format, so it's easy to find the answers to one's questions.
It's called "Credo: Compendium of the Catholic Faith", available on Amazon.

(imo, it's worth the $$)
Michael Lofton, who I don't otherwise know anything about, pans it. I am thinking I want to read it. The book I really want is the post-resignation writings of pope Benedict. I think Ignatius has that.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Michael Lofton, who I don't otherwise know anything about, pans it. I am thinking I want to read it. The book I really want is the post-resignation writings of pope Benedict. I think Ignatius has that.

I think Credo is especially good for persons like me ... revert, traditionally minded, wanting clarity on things.

Other catechisms are good, I have others, but this one is done alittle differently and by Bishop Schneider, a man I've grown to respect in the more traditional Catholic world.

If you have, and have studied, other catechisms, there may not be much in this book that would be new to you ...
though it is packed with information and addresses current issues like transgenderism, etc.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I think Credo is especially good for persons like me ... revert, traditionally minded, wanting clarity on things.

Other catechisms are good, I have others, but this one is done alittle differently and by Bishop Schneider, a man I've grown to respect in the more traditional Catholic world.

If you have, and have studied, other catechisms, there may not be much in this book that would be new to you ...
though it is packed with information and addresses current issues like transgenderism, etc.
I think it's strength will be that it is current and from a believing perspective. I think it's weakness will be that it is from just one person. The Q and A might be a strength. Clarity is good.

John Hardon had an excellent catechism many years ago as did the German Bishop's conference (way back when - it really was very good). There were others that were less good. Hey, and way far back is the Catechism of the Council of Trent, an oldie but goodie.

• Informative
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0