Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
from a short blog entry i made today.

provoked by:
What about, say, The Phantom of the Opera? Gaston Leroux certainly appeared to be passing off everything as true, as something personally researched. He alludes to documents, to places, even claims to have found the skeleton of the Phantom. And yet his work was political fiction. Does that make him a liar?
from: http://www.christianforums.com/showpost.php?p=22716839&postcount=221

I'm actually a little disturbed by the pretty constant refrain of either literal or allegorical when people are discussing Gen 1-5 (or 1-11). Most of the discussion actually misses the big points entirely. It splits almost straight across party lines: liberals = allegorical, conservatives = literal, neither side really listens to the other and no one seems the wiser during the "exchange" of viewpoints, reminding me more of artillery exchange than a discussion with the purpose of understanding the mind of God on the matter. It is not simply a matter of dividing up the text (like J D E P) with two colors of markers.

I find the metaphor and comparision with the Phantom a useful one:

I've often used the example of "Boston" by Upton Sinclair because of the long thesis i wrote back at Westminster on the topic. The take home message is that there is a continuum between newspaper man's report, (or police report), both eyewitness accounts, to: historical analysis, to: historical novel. But this fragment of a posting interests me because this person is saying the same thing as i do about "Boston" only Phantom is more meaningful to most people. The audience to whom it is written and the author's intentions shape the narrative, much like those short text messages at the end of historical presentations in the movies. (a movie about a mine disaster will end with a black screen and words to the effect: on July 3rd 1948 the countries worse mine cave-in occurred and the following names are engraved on a stone in the town square, or like "The Perfect Storm" end up with a long lingering camera shot of the plaque on the town city hall wall) We come to expect it, i for one really enjoy those technics at the end to make it appear to us as history. Why? because we trust text, we are persuaded by the media, black on white, that the information is historical and we make this subconscious connnection: history is real, history is true.

When i watched the "The Phantom of the Opera" i was aware of these technics directed at me to persuade me that it was right on the line between history textbook and historical novel. It was genre with a purpose, directed at a very specific audience. Does that make him a liar?(as the quote above asks) Only if you insist that pretending to be history when you are not is a lie and not merely just good fictional technic.

But the interesting and the important things are: what are the author's intentions, what audience is he writing to, and this question of genre and audience expectations. And none of these things are really embedded in the novel or even the play, they are in the world surrounding the play, they are in the culture that the novel was written in. The clues that it is not history are in the comparison between the work and the real world it proports to be an accurate reporting of.

There are three distinct time periods that i need to study to understand "The Phantom of the Opera", the time it is talking about, the time it was written and my time. The time it is talking about gives me hints as to the accurateness of its history-->literature mapping. The time period it was written in gives me hints as to the purpose of the literature or as the posting above puts it "political fiction", literature with a purpose. That time period is also that of the audience it is written to, it is their expectations that matter, not the expectations of the time period it is about. Then there is us, our ways of interpreting the literature, and how the movie will modify the original novel to fit changes in expectation between the time it was written and now.

Now what does this have to do with Biblical genres and how we read Gen 1-5? It is much the same technic we need to use on Genesis as a good student will use on Phantom. The key element is not our ideas of what genre it is, nor what the details of that genre mean to us now, but the original first readers, to whom it was first addressed. It is their culture and their expectations that matter, not ours. What matters to ours is the remake, is the plays and movies made after the novel. In the case of Genesis, this is the interpretation, is the body of work written about Genesis in our time, for instance, _The Genesis Flood_ and the rise of modern YECism. They are the equivalent of the remake of Phantom, they form the body of a school of interpretive analysis. But they are not the Genesis account, nor are they the first writers. That is what makes the whole situation so complex, most of my interactions are not with the text, nor with the original hearers but with the YECist interpretation. Equivalent to criticising the screenplay in the metaphor.

anyhow, i like the metaphor with Phantom, thanks to the author of this posting for the fruitful thoughts. it really is a lot more complex then just assigning Gen 1 to either allegory or literal.

Reactions: Dannager

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
i'm interested in people's react to Phantom when they first saw it, and how this relates to modern ideas of history.

i for one, immediately got home, looked up the history of the novel on google and thought about ordering the novel from Amazon.
and of course i wrote a review for amazon and my blog

a window into our souls, May 8, 2005

The usual acclaim.
Absolutely beautiful, inspiring, uplifting music. I had tears in my eyes within the first 15 minutes. I've appreciated A.L.Webber's music since JC-SuperStar, this along with Evita are showcases for his technique. But i'm not really interested in music, i dwell on ideas.

From the top it is the battle of Good and Evil, Light and Darkness, Heaven and Hell. big deal, lots of movies and great amounts of literature are about this theme.
What is fascinating about PotO is how it leads into what we find persuasive and compelling.
Good has no character development, it seems almost absurd to think that Christine would choose the calvary officer. He is just a pretty boy from her pre-opera days.
It is only the character of evil that is developed, and he grows as he teaches and shapes his progeny, the beautiful young virginal white untouched untested unknown singer.

Evil is talented, busy (just lighting all those candles, to say nothing of moving the huge pipe organ into the catacombs and teaching himself how to play and write music for it) a genius with just a little baggage. Evil is seductive, Christine is forgiven for loving him since he goes to her at night, in her dreams. Evil is in control, dictating conditions to the owners of the opera house, demanding a weekly salary, possibly the real author of all the great pieces performed there. Evil is of course, defective, but it is not his fault, he was born that way and mistreated until he snapped. His outrage at mistreatment, his hatred of the world above is understandable and forgivable. Not a critical character fault, but a birth defect. His ugliness, his face is repulsive but people's response to it explains and excuses the stain of evil on his soul. His genius, his musical talent, his moody and provocative music is the good result of his brooding on evil and his alienation from the rest of mankind. It is not that evil chooses to wallow in sin, but that sin is unjustifiably forced on a young boy who just responses as we all would. He is excused.

As modern people we find this persuasive, we find it beautiful as the female voice intertwines and weaves just above the deeper male voice. The music's point and counterpoint dance just as
Evil wanted their bodies to dance and intertwine on his swan bed. But he wanted to seduce her, a willing mate, not to rape her. With his voice, with his talent, with his music he wanted to substitute for the face that repelled her, to attract her soul, her beautiful heavenly voice to his underground grotto leaving the naturally lighted world and her potential good lover on the roof. Neat stuff, things we identify with, things we see internally and would dearly love to be seduced by ourselves.

This is what i personally find so interesting, the compellingness of the vision, that evil is beautiful, that inspiring music is gorgous despite or even best of it's origin in pain. That talent, that genius no matter how twisted, no matter how murderous is a value to be sought after. It is not really a battle of Good and Evil, for good is simply palid and uninteresting compared to evil, is is a battle to yield to evil, be be allow to submit without loosing innocence. How to be that beautiful virgin in white after spending the night below, the morning after untouched by evil itself just wrapped up in the beauty of it's genius, and that is excusible. She pities evil, she overcomes her repulsion of his mask off, she recognizes not just the beauty of his music, the debt that her gifts owe to him, but most of all she knows that even though she outwardly chooses good (raises a family with him) evil will always return to her in her dreams. and in her music. for no one recognized or tried to develop her gifts but evil did, she owes him all her voice and her success.

nice, literary, complex, beautiful. the best of art.
it is a window into our souls and what we find persuasive as evil and the battles it plays in our lives

note: into what we find persuasive and compelling.

the purpose of the movie is to manipulate us, and one technique is to get pass modern intellectual filter, one of which is historical=true, things have to be presented to us embedded in this believable historical matrix or we just don't get it.....

i really like the idea of seeing genre through the eyes of the Phantom, thanks again to the author of that original post.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Does that make him a liar?

How do we decide?
What is the line between novel and historical novel?

It is the comparison with the real world.
Did the Phantom of the Opera exist or was he purely a product of the author's imagination?

Likewise our understanding of Genesis is dependent on looking at the real world. Our interpretation of Genesis can not stand on its own. Even the canon itself is not within Scripture but external to it, likewise the Bible does not have a dictionary, nor an atlas attached to the back. Where Jerusalem is located is not addressed to the Bible but to the real world. What the words "tohu va bohu' mean is not solely contained in the other places them occur in the Bible but with cognates in other Semetic languages etc.

But back to the question:
Gaston Leroux certainly appeared to be passing off everything as true, as something personally researched. He alludes to documents, to places, even claims to have found the skeleton of the Phantom. And yet his work was political fiction. Does that make him a liar?

there is something particular about the word liar, it implies deliberate deception, a desire to mislead. What was the author's intention?

Is it God's intention to mislead us with respect to how old is the earth (or universe)? That plants existed before the sun? That whales existed before land animals?

this comparison of Gen1-5 to a work of art like the Phantom of the Opera is a useful and productive effort.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
artybloke said:
Excellent analysis. Though it's "technique" not "technic" (is that American spelling?)

You must spread some reputation etc...

No, it's technique in the "American," too.

Nitpicking aside, I'll echo Artybloke's call to "You must spread some reputation etc..." ;) Excellent analysis.

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to rmwilliamsll again.

I can't imagine my little seed of an idea could have triggered such fruitful exploration.

The idea of the "fact-ion" is really gaining steam in modern writing circles. For example, what really caught my attention in Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code (not that I've read the rest of it :p) was the "pre-claimer" on the front cover to the effect that a lot of the things he describes "exists": the Opus Dei, etc etc. Obviously he is trying to elicit a "first impression" effect: because this is the first time I have heard of Opus Dei, I am more likely to believe everything I am told by the person who told me that Opus Dei exists. So the impression is that I am being suspended between fiction and fact ... I know I am reading a novel, and yet I am "learning" something about some people who really exist.

Or maybe closer to the mark, Adam Roberts' "Salt" and "Stone" are also modern examples of historico-novels. Stone in particular is very contrived; it takes the form of a prisoner speaking in "Glice" to a stone as part of his rehabilitation process after having destroyed a whole world. The text is littered with footnotes (just like a Bible - textual difficulties, difficult words, "this word is literally ... ") and there is even an appendix explaining words. Just as if this is something written from something that actually happened. That's more towards the SF side of things.

I can't believe I took this long to reach the obvious comparison ... the LoTR and Narnia "false-worlds". Note especially the extremely rich background given to LoTR, even the "creation stories". ... It's like God has programmed some sort of mythical template into our head with which we understand the universe. It's like every time we start thinking about how the world - any world - started we trip into mythic-understanding mode. Hmm.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
rmwilliamsll said:
I'm actually a little disturbed by the pretty constant refrain of either literal or allegorical when people are discussing Gen 1-5 (or 1-11). Most of the discussion actually misses the big points entirely. It splits almost straight across party lines: liberals = allegorical, conservatives = literal, neither side really listens to the other and no one seems the wiser during the "exchange" of viewpoints, reminding me more of artillery exchange than a discussion with the purpose of understanding the mind of God on the matter. It is not simply a matter of dividing up the text (like J D E P) with two colors of markers.

Genesis is both literal and allegorical. That makes a much richer experience.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
oldwiseguy said:
Genesis is both literal and allegorical. That makes a much richer experience.

Even if that's so, it doesn't necessarily lead to a better understanding. It only leads to a better understanding if this is the way it was intended.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
i picked up the novel last week. my wife has already read and thoroughly enjoyed it....

but the preface by John Flynn is excellent. if you can get to a bookstore or library just to read the preface.

the theme of the preface is also what i brought up here...

By making use of diaries, journal entries and alternating first=person narratives, Leroux was able to execute a chilling tale that cleverly walks the fine line between truth and fiction. A less experienced author might have produced a modest thriller, which would have been quicly dismissed as fantasy, but Monsieur Leroux's vivid, journalistic style provides the reader with a kind of verisimilitude that makes the characters and settings seem borrowed from the headlines of the daily post. Indeed, as Gaston Leroux contends in the intorduction, many of the events of the novel are real.

I think i'm going to use this metaphor of PoftOpera more often. It introduces several of the key points very naturally and with great force.

the first is that our exemplar for truthfulness is a newspaper account. factual, first hand, straight forward. short

second, only history has truthfulness as a integral part of it. everything else is only truthful as it successful anchors itself into our notions of history

third, the key element is social and cultural expectations. they are what authenticates and makes the common sense notions so real and overwhelming as to seem invincible. the strength of the common sense hermeneutic is being tied into the cultural matrix where historicism and scientism are major players. this is the reason that we can't make headway in the discussion with the term myth. despite Karen Armstrong heroic attempt to modify into a discussion of mythos and logos, the words fight some very deeply held ideas.......

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.