Genesis, Evolution, and God the Creator

Ariston

Nov 1, 2013
✟8,209.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are four basic models that can be held concerning the relation of the Book of Genesis and Evolutionary theory as far as I can tell:

1. Genesis is literal/Macro-Evolution is true. Conflict
2. Genesis is literal/Macro-Evolution is not true. No Conflict
3. Genesis is mythic/Macro-Evolution is true. No Conflict
4. Genesis is mythic/Macro-Evolution is not true. No Conflict

So only on (1) is there a conflict between Christian belief and the present consensus among the scientific community. In any case it is not clear that there is any actual conflict but, as I am a Christian and not changing my mind, I am interested in intelligible considerations as to which one of (2-4) is is the most reasonable to hold and what would be the main reasons for both positions (how to read Genesis and what is the the best evidence for or against macro-evolution). Thanks to any person who takes the time to provide a thoughtful response.

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ok, I'll play...

There are four basic models that can be held concerning the relation of the Book of Genesis and Evolutionary theory as far as I can tell:

Macro-Evolution could still hold true from a literal reading of Genesis. How many animals on the Ark, how many species exist today? I guess it depends on what you mean by Macro-Evoluiton.

I guess I could agree tentatively with some reservations.

So only on (1) is there a conflict between Christian belief and the present consensus among the scientific community. In any case it is not clear that there is any actual conflict but, as I am a Christian and not changing my mind, I am interested in intelligible considerations as to which one of (2-4) is is the most reasonable to hold and what would be the main reasons for both positions (how to read Genesis and what is the the best evidence for or against macro-evolution). Thanks to any person who takes the time to provide a thoughtful response.

First of all a handful of mammals, reptiles and birds repopulated to entire earth to the present level of diversity in all it vast array in less then 4,000 years. How could that not be Macro-evolution. Now if you mean mammals becoming reptiles then Darwinian evolution is the mythology while a literal reading of Genesis and the theory of evolution itself are still consistent with one another.

You have to understand, it's not evolution that is in conflict with a literal reading of Genesis. Evolution is a living theory regarding what happens after life has started, the question is whether or not the original cause was a natural phenomenon or God acting in time and space by way of a miraculous creation.

For me it's always been the human brain evolving from that of apes. We have a cranial capacity that is almost three times bigger and considerably different from a Chimpanzees. In order for this to happen there would have to be dramatic changes in brain related genes. My only real problem with this scenario is that it does not happen in nature, invariably a change in a brain related gene gets you disease, disorder or death not a bigger and better brain.

Hope that helps a little.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
My only problem is with 3: you may not take Genesis literally and you may take "macro-evolution" literally, but to say there will be no conflict is like saying you won't run into oncoming traffic heading down the wrong side of the highway.

People who believe in Evolution are looking for an easy out that will silence their conscience, that means they are going to be tempted by all kinds of things that someone who believes in the Bible - mythic or otherwise - is not going to be tempted by. Added to this is the damage that laughing at a false history of descent from apes does to your psyche - if you laugh at your kids that way are they still going to obey you? A fool would say "yes".

Do a quick little calculation and ask yourself "when I say the righteous monkey inherits the bananna and the wicked monkey falls from the tree, is it more evolved if I say the righteous shall inherit life and the wicked shall perish?" If the answer is no, then you obviously have Wisdom that someone who believes in macro-evolution does not: they think the Wisdom has evolved, when really all that has happened is that the context has changed. This is just the tip of the iceberg of problems belief in macro-evolution creates.

Of course, that does not mean that because you believe in God you will find proof of God that does not require faith. Or even disproof of Evolution that does not require faith. That is the problem: and only people who believe in God and not macro-Evolution are doing anything about the fact that you have to live by faith. Name one Evolutionist that is preparing for their future as a new species, there isn't a single one, not even Darwin.

So you see, it is an illusion, if believing in macro-evolution meant that there was a change in your lifestyle required and you would be hated by people that couldn't evolve, you would know that it was from God, because it would create character in your that would please God, but macro-evolution has none of that. That is my argument.

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I believe the Genesis creation accounts are "true myth". I think that God uses those passages to explain our relationship with Him and to foreshadow our redemption through Christ. In other words, Genesis gives the "why", and sciences tells us "how". I see no contradiction whatsoever, therefore, between whatever science discovers about origins, and what God says about why man has fallen and what to do about it. Science rocks, so does God.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe the Genesis creation accounts are "true myth". I think that God uses those passages to explain our relationship with Him and to foreshadow our redemption through Christ. In other words, Genesis gives the "why", and sciences tells us "how". I see no contradiction whatsoever, therefore, between whatever science discovers about origins, and what God says about why man has fallen and what to do about it. Science rocks, so does God.

Is this a true myth?

...the son of Enosh, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God.(Luke 3:38)

Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come. (Romans 5:14)

God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things; And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation (Acts 17:24–26);

But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. (2 Corinthians 11:3)

For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. (1 Timothy 2:13–14)​

Do you choose to deprecate the New Testament witness regarding creation along with the testimony of Moses, clearly written to be an historical narrative. What are the hermeneutic principles that justifies calling the Old Testament a myth?

We are admonished to have nothing to do with myths in the New Testament:

nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. These promote controversies rather than God's work--which is by faith. (1 Timothy 1:4)

Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. (1 Timothy 4:7)​

In between these two dire warnings to avoid godless myths Timothy teaches us from the Genesis account, specifically mentioning the order of creation. It hardly seems likely that Timothy regarded the Genesis account of creation as a myth. Luke calls Adam 'son of God', that is because he was created and had no earthly ancestry.

So I ask you, do you deprecate the testimony of the New Testimony along with the Genesis account of creation?

Is this a 'true myth'?

Now when He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up, and a cloud received Him out of their sight. (Acts 1:9)​

Make no mistake, the worldly philosophies which are 'arguments of science, falsely so called' (1 Timothy 6:20), have produced a mythology that rivals that of any from the ancient world. Is this a 'true myth'?

BY firm immutable immortal laws
Impress'd on Nature by the GREAT FIRST CAUSE,
Say, MUSE! how rose from elemental strife
Organic forms, and kindled into life...

..."ORGANIC LIFE beneath the shoreless waves
Was born and nurs'd in Ocean's pearly caves;
First forms minute, unseen by spheric glass,
Move on the mud, or pierce the watery mass;
These, as successive generations bloom
New powers acquire, and larger limbs assume;
Whence countless groups of vegetation spring,
And breathing realms of fin, and feet, and wing.​

(The Temple of Nature, By Erasmus Darwin)
Have a nice day :wave:
Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic

There is a conflict how ever.

Jesus said "Woe unto you who laugh now, for you shall mourn" (luke)

Evolutionists on the other hand, say "we came from monkeys, we can just mutate, we don't sin, our future is infinite, we can do what we like" which is just one joke after another.

Surely you see it is foolish to hang around with the latter, if you believe the former.

They plainly do not believe in God, no matter how you hold on to their foolishness.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Evolutionists on the other hand, say "we came from monkeys, we can just mutate, we don't sin, our future is infinite, we can do what we like" which is just one joke after another.

This is false testimony on all five points.

Evolutionists do not say "we came from monkeys". They say we share a remote ancestor with monkeys.

Evolutionists do not say "we can just mutate". They say we do mutate without our volition or knowledge.

Evolutionists do not say "we don't sin". They make no statement about sin at all. They neither confirm nor deny that we sin.

Evolutionists do not say "our future is infinite". They recognize the possibility that the human species, like so many before it, may become extinct. They also recognize that all future evolution is constrained by past evolution and we cannot evolve out of our history.

Evolutionists do not say "we can do what we like". They do not set out moral boundaries nor say there are none.

When will you stop slandering evolution and evolutionists by claiming they make these statements when they do not?

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP

My personal choice is #3, but before I would recommend it to you, I would want to know what you mean by "mythic" and what you mean by "macro-evolution"

"myth" is often equated with "falsehood" and that is a recognized meaning in dictionaries and many contexts. So what do you make of the concept of "true myth"? Is that an oxymoron or does it have some rational meaning?

And "macro-evolution" has been so often mis-defined and mis-represented and mis-understood in anti-science literature, it is impossible to present evidence to someone who has a false idea of what macro-evolution is to a scientist. When someone asks for evidence of macro-evolution and means by that "I want to see a chicken hatch from a duck egg" there is no possible evidence one can provide since that is not macro-evolution. But as long as the questioner thinks this is what it is, no evidence will satisfy. The first step is to be sure one knows what macro-evolution is. Then the evidence will be pertinent. As someone once said, the problem is less what we do not know, than what we think we know that is not so.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi ariston,

Well, for the born again believer, that would be the one who has the Spirit of the living God doing within him what Jesus said he would be doing, we know that Genesis is not mythic. So, that really only leaves one option without conflict and that's the one I'm going with.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ariston

Nov 1, 2013
✟8,209.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let us relax brothers and sisters. It is not in the best interest of the Church to have sharp divisive quarrels over how to interpret the Law (so says Paul in one of the Pastoral Letters). For us there is One God, One Lord, One Spirit, one Faith, one Baptism, one Thanksgiving, and one Universal Church through our Lord and God, Jesus Christ, who became incarnate for our salvation, who died on the Cross for our sins, who was raised for our justification, who will come again in glory, who will raise us up in his likeness, and judge each person according to their works. Let us reason and not tear one another down over difficult questions over how to interpret difficult texts and the natural sciences (or what is so called).

I just want to get the best answers to two distinct questions. What do the sciences say and how should we read the Genesis narrative? Neither are very clear to me but I think what is clear to me is that there is only a conflict if (1) is correct. That would create a problem for Christian belief (although not necessarily a defeater). Certainly, the text appears to be written in a mythic genre (not to say there is not a historical backdrop). It is not clear that this would be problematic to the New Testament usage of the stories (though there would be admittedly some difficulty for example with Heb. 11). In my view, if evolution occurred on the macro-scale and there is good evidence for it, as Christians, we have a obligation out of our call to intellectual integrity to believe in it. However, that grand story of the single-cell to humans, though non-problematic for theism in general (but perhaps to Christian Theology), seem pretty shaky and bloated by its proponents being driven philosophically rather than scientific. Presently, I lean towards option (4) but not so dogmatically. So, it is not clear that the sciences and Scripture requires harmony (or are in discord), that the present scientific consensus is correct (it seems very philosophically driven and dogmatic to me), nor does it seem necessary to read Genesis literally. Still, Genesis does seem to be concerned with the telling of historical events in a mythic genre. Perhaps a helpful consideration is provided by the Swiss theologian, Karl Barth, would be worth considering. When he was asked by a woman if he really believed in a talking snake, he replied, "Woman, I do not know if there was a talking snake. As a theologian, I am concerned with what the snake said." On the other hand we have no less than 11 ancient accounts from all over the world recording an ancient flood from the past. Importantly Myth does not mean ahistorical either. Rather it is a particular style of composition through which stories are told to make particular points about who we are and who God is. In the Noah story, the writer gives precise dimensions as to how the ship ought to be built and the vessel is entirely sea worthy. It sounds like an intended historical account. If Genesis is mythic in nature (as it appears to me), it seems to be concerned with a telling of some actual concrete events in the genre of myth. And so the position of a true myth (in regards to Genesis particularly) to tell a grander story, and presently grave doubts about evolutionary theory place me, perhaps tentatively in the lonely camp of (4). In any case I am entirely perplexed. Let us, if you would be so kind, stay on task, and address the questions (Genesis and the sciences) distinctly with the integrity to which we are called, and accept the conclusions whether we like them or not. So, how should we proceed? Let us offer reasons for our positions.

A literal reading of the texts was offered but this doesn't seem right. Take Genesis 1 for example. Day 1 corresponds to day 4, 2 to 5, 3 to 6. This is apparently a framework. The first three days concerned about the functions or forming of creation. The next three days concerned about the filling of creation and correlate accordingly. And the theme is that, so it seems to me, that God ordered a non-functional world (that already existed) and made it functional and placed man and woman (both made in the image of God) to rule over (be could stewards of) his creation. Yahweh (in an anthropomorphic metaphor) walks with the humans that he created. The world was made for Yahweh to dwell in unity with his creation. In Chapter 2, man is created prior to any shrub of the field which on a literal reading would be in conflict with chapter 1. But if the emphasis is on ontological priority (perhaps the order implies importance) or emphasizing Adam's (which means man) role in tending the garden, then it could be read to teach that Yahweh made humans in God's image to reflect God and care for creation. In this case, it seems that the mythic genre brings out a richer and fuller significance of the text than does a literal one (which it is apparently not). Again, what do you guys think and why? There are no easy answers. The earliest existing Christian commentary on the text was offered up by Theopholis of Antioch in c. 170-180 in which he wrote,

"Of this six days' work no man can give a worthy explanation and description of all of its parts, not though he had ten thousand tongues and ten thousand mouths; nay though he were to live ten thousand years, sojourning in this life, not even though could he utter anything worthy of these things, on the account of the exceeding greatness and the riches of the wisdom of God which there is in the six days' work above narrated. Many writers have indeed imitated [the narration] and essayed to give an explanation of these things; yet though they thus derived some suggestions, both concerning the creation of the world and the nature of man, they have emitted no slightest spark of truth."

(From the Apology, Theopholis to Autolycus)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Mark, I'm on my phone at the moment so I'll have to make s full reply later.

But in short, no. Not all of the OT is "true myth" (a term I've borrowed from CS Lewis). I generally take NT references to OT "true myth" passages to be making didactic points. I'll return after work :)

I'm aware of C.S. Lewis' using the expression.

Now as myth transcends thought, Incarnation transcends myth. The heart of Christianity is a myth which is also a fact. The old myth of the Dying God, without ceasing to be myth, comes down from the heaven of legend and imagination to the earth of history. It happens – at a particular date, in a particular place, followed by definable historical consequences. (C.S. Lewis)​

The virgin birth crucifixion and resurrection were 'true myth' to C.S. Lewis.

“Now the story of Christ is simply a true myth: a myth working on us the same way as the others, but with this tremendous difference that it really happened: and one must be content to accept it in the same way, remembering that it is God’s myth where the others are men’s myths: i.e., the Pagan stories are God expressing Himself through the minds of poets, using such images as He found there, while Christianity is God expressing Himself through what we call 'real things'.” (C.S Lewis)​

If creation week never happened it wouldn't be a true myth in this sense, it would be just another myth.

Anyway, take all the time you need responding, there's no rush.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm aware of C.S. Lewis' using the expression.

Now as myth transcends thought, Incarnation transcends myth. The heart of Christianity is a myth which is also a fact. The old myth of the Dying God, without ceasing to be myth, comes down from the heaven of legend and imagination to the earth of history. It happens – at a particular date, in a particular place, followed by definable historical consequences. (C.S. Lewis)​

The virgin birth crucifixion and resurrection were 'true myth' to C.S. Lewis.

“Now the story of Christ is simply a true myth: a myth working on us the same way as the others, but with this tremendous difference that it really happened: and one must be content to accept it in the same way, remembering that it is God’s myth where the others are men’s myths: i.e., the Pagan stories are God expressing Himself through the minds of poets, using such images as He found there, while Christianity is God expressing Himself through what we call 'real things'.” (C.S Lewis)​

If creation week never happened it wouldn't be a true myth in this sense, it would be just another myth.

Anyway, take all the time you need responding, there's no rush.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Hi Mark,

I think we may have our wires crossed somewhere. I do not believe that the crucifixion and resurrection are "true myth". I think they are historical events.

The virgin birth I don't believe in but is a long way off topic for this thread. I think that topic is forbidden here anyway.

Upvote 0

Ariston

Nov 1, 2013
✟8,209.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lewis in "Is Theology Poetry" seems to have held that the majority of the Old Testament stories were myth (non-literal) but that the New Testament all the shadows are given substance in the concrete historical events. The Old Testament offers types and shadows in mythic stories which become concrete historical events in Jesus Christ. Thus the Virgin birth, the Incarnation, Atonement, and Resurrection are true myths in that the mythic genre becomes true (historical and concrete). I think the approach is too minimalist in that it rejects the concrete acting of Yahweh in the history of Israel at certain points (in for example the Exodus) which seems for Israel to be widely understood as historical and preserved in numerous Hebrew texts both in the Old Testament and outside the Old Testament. I think that it is true to say, for example, that the lambs being offered up by the Levitical priests found their fulfillment in Jesus the True Priest and True Lamb who offers himself up for us. This is the case elsewhere: (David was the son of God and king), Jesus is the True Son of God and King Issac being the only son who would be offered up to sacrifice, Jesus was God's only Son who offered himself up in conformity with the will of God for us. The Hebrews sacrificed a Passover lamb by which Yahweh would free a people from slavery. Jesus (our Passover Lamb) gave himself a ransom (payment) to redeem us from our slavery to sin and death. The payment or substitute is first typified (though historical) in the Passover and then actualized in Jesus "giving himself a ransom for many." So these stories find their constituitive effectual substance in the True Son of God, Jesus, not since these old stories are myth (non-literal), but because these stories are shadows and types of the Substantial Eternal Covenant inaugurated when in history, the Incarnate Son of God died on the cross for our sins, and was raised by God from the dead for us. This is not to say Old Testament stories are not sometimes told through incorporating mythic (non-literal) elements into the story-telling. I think we need to avoid a black and white reading of the Old Testament that ether holds entirely historical and literal (this is not what the text is saying at times: see my above post), or entirely ahistorical and non-literal. I cannot see either side being correct. The creation story (Gen. 1) is not literal but is no less important for communicating that God is the sole creator of the entire universe (nothing in creation should be worshiped since it is all made by God). Any thoughts on my previous post. I would like to move the discussion forward in a way that is productive for bringing clarity to how to read the texts, how to understand the natural sciences, and how they might relate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Arisston wrote:

Let us relax brothers and sisters. It is not in the best interest of the Church to have sharp divisive quarrels....

Thank you. Yes, we need to reason together in fellowship, regardless of what is discussed.

I just want to get the best answers to two distinct questions.
What do the sciences say....

Practically all scientists agree that macroevolution is reality. That includes millions who are Christians, and importantly, includes scientists from many different fields, cultures, and backgrounds. The evidence grows literally every day, as more and more journal articles are published - to the tune of thousands a year.

Here is a useful overview of the evidence, which is now not only too much for any one person to know, but is too much for one person to even keep up with. All these different fields all come back to the table with the same conclusion: That their field has confirmed macroevolution.

29+ Evidences for Macroevolution: The Scientific Case for Common Descent

So I think that denying macroevolution only makes Christians look like reality deniers, and hence hurts our witness.

Pope Em. Benedict also has voiced clear support for evolution, as can be seen here: Cardinal Ratzinger and International Theological Commission on Creation and Evolution (especially read paragraph #63).

and how should we read the Genesis narrative? .......
Certainly, the text appears to be written in a mythic genre (not to say there is not a historical backdrop). It is not clear that this would be problematic to the New Testament usage of the stories (though there would be admittedly some difficulty for example with Heb. 11).

Sounds like we are in a similar place, though I don't see any problems in the New Testament or anywhere else with seeing Genesis as a poetic, non-literal, hymn to creation. It looks like I have Papal suppport on that too (See above).

However, that grand story of the single-cell to humans, though non-problematic for theism in general (but perhaps to Christian Theology), seem pretty shaky and bloated by its proponents being driven philosophically rather than scientific.

The science behind the single-cell to human transition seems extremely solid (as Pope em. Benedict said), and fine from a Christian theistic standpoint as far as I can tell.

in for example the Exodus) which seems for Israel to be widely understood as historical and preserved in numerous Hebrew texts both in the Old Testament and outside the Old Testament.

Perhaps a look at the Exodus situation can help your reading of our 73 books of Holy Scripture? The Exodus itself could contian mythic components, thus fitting your framing of the OT as mytically foreshadowing the New Testament. Specifically, a literal reading of the Exodus doesn't appear to be correct in all places, since archeology suggests that the Exodus didn't happen on the scale described by a literal reading. I'm also not aware of other (extra-Jewish) sources confirming it as a real event as described literally in Exodus.

Most Historians seem to regard it as mythic, based on archeology and especially on the lack of any real mention of it in Egyptian records.

Either way with that though, I hope the earlier feedback is useful for your two main questions.

In Christ Jesus-

Papias

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Lewis in "Is Theology Poetry" seems to have held that the majority of the Old Testament stories were myth (non-literal) but that the New Testament all the shadows are given substance in the concrete historical events. The Old Testament offers types and shadows in mythic stories which become concrete historical events in Jesus Christ. Thus the Virgin birth, the Incarnation, Atonement, and Resurrection are true myths in that the mythic genre becomes true (historical and concrete). I think the approach is too minimalist in that it rejects the concrete acting of Yahweh in the history of Israel at certain points (in for example the Exodus) which seems for Israel to be widely understood as historical and preserved in numerous Hebrew texts both in the Old Testament and outside the Old Testament. I think that it is true to say, for example, that the lambs being offered up by the Levitical priests found their fulfillment in Jesus the True Priest and True Lamb who offers himself up for us. This is the case elsewhere: (David was the son of God and king), Jesus is the True Son of God and King Issac being the only son who would be offered up to sacrifice, Jesus was God's only Son who offered himself up in conformity with the will of God for us. The Hebrews sacrificed a Passover lamb by which Yahweh would free a people from slavery. Jesus (our Passover Lamb) gave himself a ransom (payment) to redeem us from our slavery to sin and death. The payment or substitute is first typified (though historical) in the Passover and then actualized in Jesus "giving himself a ransom for many." So these stories find their constituitive effectual substance in the True Son of God, Jesus, not since these old stories are myth (non-literal), but because these stories are shadows and types of the Substantial Eternal Covenant inaugurated when in history, the Incarnate Son of God died on the cross for our sins, and was raised by God from the dead for us. This is not to say Old Testament stories are not sometimes told through incorporating mythic (non-literal) elements into the story-telling. I think we need to avoid a black and white reading of the Old Testament that ether holds entirely historical and literal (this is not what the text is saying at times: see my above post), or entirely ahistorical and non-literal. I cannot see either side being correct. The creation story (Gen. 1) is not literal but is no less important for communicating that God is the sole creator of the entire universe (nothing in creation should be worshiped since it is all made by God). Any thoughts on my previous post. I would like to move the discussion forward in a way that is productive for bringing clarity to how to read the texts, how to understand the natural sciences, and how they might relate.

I agree with the bolded part. It is not black and white. Seems I should return to my CS Lewis library again :).

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Ariston - a question for you. In your understanding of how to interpret Genesis, would you agree that the interpretation we arrive at should be the interpretation that the original audience (depending on when the oral tradition started, either the ancient Hebrews, or if the oral tradition started later, Israel, or maybe even only the Kingdom of Judah) would have understood? Genesis seems to contain two creation accounts stemming from two different traditions, if you follow source criticism.

I see that Genesis, and most of the bible, is like an onion with many layers. Perhaps the ancients understood only the surface level and there were deeper truths they missed? I'm not sure.

But the question is - are we to gleen from the text only the interpretation the ancients had, or, can we peel back the onion? And if we can peel back layers of the onion, are we able to (in a post enlightenment world) discard that outer layer?

I've asked this question of Christians before with a mixture of responses. Some have pointed to the original audience of Paul's writings on eschatology, and said that because they interpretted in error (they thought He would return in their lifetime) but were wrong in that interpretation, that any solid hermeneutic should not be wedded to the original audience's understanding.

As you can see, I'm a bit confused about what to do here.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
I just want to get the best answers to two distinct questions. What do the sciences say and how should we read the Genesis narrative? Neither are very clear to me but I think what is clear to me is that there is only a conflict if (1) is correct. That would create a problem for Christian belief (although not necessarily a defeater). Certainly, the text appears to be written in a mythic genre (not to say there is not a historical backdrop). It is not clear that this would be problematic to the New Testament usage of the stories (though there would be admittedly some difficulty for example with Heb. 11).

I think this is an important rider and one reason I would like to deal with the meaning of "myth".

Clearly there are two contemporary meanings of "myth".

One, the most popular and well-known, is "a belief about reality which is not true". Check out how often in modern newspapers, magazines, (in print or on-line) you find a headline that reads "N myths about....." followed by "the facts". It is assumed in such articles that "myth" and "fact" are opposites.

It has to be emphasized that when Christians speak of any biblical story as "myth" this is NOT the intended meaning.

The second, less well known meaning comes from the study of literature and refers to a genre of literature--most often a genre which depicts the acts of God/gods--and archetypal events which are presented as the origin of historical realities. This is the meaning intended when it is a question of interpreting the texts.

And I am glad you raised the possibility of historical backdrop. This is especially applicable to the story of the flood and of the tower of Babel as well as to a number of other OT stories. The fact that the genre used by the biblical author is mythic does not, in and of itself, imply that the events are not historical. Or that actual historical events--now presented archetypically--are not the inspiration for the story.

Why recount a historical event mythically? I can think of two reasons: one is to give the meaning of the event--to show God's purposes in the event itself. The obvious physical facts of history don't tell us where and when and why God is present. A historian dealing only with material facts could only say: some Hebrew slaves once escaped from Egypt and when the chariots pursued them, the wheels got bogged down in the muddy waters of the Sea of Reeds, so the slaves made good their escape. But the Spirit-inspired historian sees not only the material facts, but the hand of God leading the people and protecting them from pursuit. The second reason is to move from the particularity of history to the universality of archetype. Very likely in the particularity of history, there was a local, though very destructive flood. But in scripture, the flood is presented as archetypal, universal, a pattern of God's judgment on unrighteousness and the salvation of the righteous. The story is now an extended parable or metaphor for something much larger than a particular, historical flood, however devastating.

What comes out of this understanding for me are certain conclusions, which I think those opposed to the word "mythic" do not understand:
  • "myth" used in this context, does not mean "false".
  • "myth" used in this context, does not necessarily mean "not historical"--though the historical elements may be reworked to bring out the full spiritual meaning of the event.
  • "myth" used in this context, does not mean "not inspired".
  • "myth" used in this context, does not mean "may be dismissed or rejected as meaningful scripture". On the contrary, if the very purpose of a mythic retelling of history is to bring out the full spiritual meaning of the events, one has to be particularly conscious of what the Spirit is saying here, and why the mythic genre is important to the message.

In short, myth in scripture demands belief just as much as history and is not contrary to history.

Something not raised in your questions is the issue of Ancient Near East worldview, which is a bit of a different matter than mythic storytelling. I do think it is essential to recognize that all scripture is written against the backdrop of a pre-scientific worldview that is inconsistent with what we deem to be a factual, scientific understanding of the cosmos. The most obvious example is the in the ancient (and medieval) view, the earth rested under the sun while the sun moved (actually, not just apparently) across the sky each day and returned at night to the eastern horizon to begin the next day. I agree with Calvin on this subject, that we should view such references not as false or mistaken, but as the Spirit making accommodation to what the people of the time could know and believe and not presenting to them truths they were not yet able to bear, but would come to know in due time.

In my view, if evolution occurred on the macro-scale and there is good evidence for it, as Christians, we have a obligation out of our call to intellectual integrity to believe in it. However, that grand story of the single-cell to humans, though non-problematic for theism in general (but perhaps to Christian Theology), seem pretty shaky and bloated by its proponents being driven philosophically rather than scientific.

You are actually conflating two separate issues here: science and philosophy. You are making an accusation that evolutionary science in general, including that supported by Christians working in the field, is driven by a philosophy incompatible with Christian faith. In essence this is a slander against Christian (and other theistic) biologists. But what basis do you have for making this accusation?

Is there anything other than conclusions you are uncomfortable with that would lead you to suspect a philosophical taint on the data relative to macro-evolution? Do you have any case for a thesis that biologists, including Christians, are not using scientific methods of investigation and reason properly? Or are you merely masking an unwillingness to look at the evidential case for macro-evolution behind an a priori assumption that the evidence is tainted in any case?

You refer to the science as "shaky" a term that is never used by those familiar with the evidence. It is very far from shaky and I can only assume you have not given yourself the opportunity to get to know it.

So far, you have not defined what you mean by "macro-evolution". May I ask again that you do so. I wonder, in particular, if you are confusing "macro-evolution" with common descent. Although related, they are not the same thing.

Importantly Myth does not mean ahistorical either. Rather it is a particular style of composition through which stories are told to make particular points about who we are and who God is. In the Noah story, the writer gives precise dimensions as to how the ship ought to be built and the vessel is entirely sea worthy. It sounds like an intended historical account. If Genesis is mythic in nature (as it appears to me), it seems to be concerned with a telling of some actual concrete events in the genre of myth. And so the position of a true myth (in regards to Genesis particularly) to tell a grander story,

This is pretty consistent with what I said above, and I think we are on the same page in regard to interpreting scripture.

and presently grave doubts about evolutionary theory place me, perhaps tentatively in the lonely camp of (4). In any case I am entirely perplexed.

I think if you query the sources of your perplexity, you will find they disappear. In particular, ask yourself if the problem is really scientific evidence. Or is it some assumptions about philosophy that you associate (possibly erroneously) with science and scientific method.

Definition again is important. When dealing with science, it is as important to know how to interpret scientific texts as it is to know how to interpret scriptural texts when studying scripture. Over and over I see that difficulties with science turn out not to be about what scientists are actually saying but with what people mistakenly think they are saying. It is often with what people think they know about science--especially evolutionary science--that really isn't so.

So, evidence aside, (it will mean nothing to you until other perplexities have been dealt with) what is your deepest problem with macro-evolution?

Let us, if you would be so kind, stay on task, and address the questions (Genesis and the sciences) distinctly with the integrity to which we are called, and accept the conclusions whether we like them or not. So, how should we proceed? Let us offer reasons for our positions.

A literal reading of the texts was offered but this doesn't seem right. Take Genesis 1 for example. Day 1 corresponds to day 4, 2 to 5, 3 to 6. This is apparently a framework. The first three days concerned about the functions or forming of creation. The next three days concerned about the filling of creation and correlate accordingly. And the theme is that, so it seems to me, that God ordered a non-functional world (that already existed) and made it functional and placed man and woman (both made in the image of God) to rule over (be could stewards of) his creation. Yahweh (in an anthropomorphic metaphor) walks with the humans that he created. The world was made for Yahweh to dwell in unity with his creation. In Chapter 2, man is created prior to any shrub of the field which on a literal reading would be in conflict with chapter 1. But if the emphasis is on ontological priority (perhaps the order implies importance) or emphasizing Adam's (which means man) role in tending the garden, then it could be read to teach that Yahweh made humans in God's image to reflect God and care for creation. In this case, it seems that the mythic genre brings out a richer and fuller significance of the text than does a literal one (which it is apparently not). Again, what do you guys think and why? There are no easy answers. The earliest existing Christian commentary on the text was offered up by Theopholis of Antioch in c. 170-180 in which he wrote,

"Of this six days' work no man can give a worthy explanation and description of all of its parts, not though he had ten thousand tongues and ten thousand mouths; nay though he were to live ten thousand years, sojourning in this life, not even though could he utter anything worthy of these things, on the account of the exceeding greatness and the riches of the wisdom of God which there is in the six days' work above narrated. Many writers have indeed imitated [the narration] and essayed to give an explanation of these things; yet though they thus derived some suggestions, both concerning the creation of the world and the nature of man, they have emitted no slightest spark of truth."

(From the Apology, Theopholis to Autolycus)

Thank you for this. So many people think modern proponents of non-literal interpretations of scripture are merely reacting to modern science. But in fact, such options have been part of Christian history since they first began studying the scriptures. Modern knowledge merely re-affirms the worth of such an approach.

Upvote 0