small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Mosaic authorship of the Pentateuch went out the window in the latter part of the 19th century, in modern biblical studies.

We know that Moses did not write the Torah. At least five authors (J,E,P,D and R) have been tentatively identified based on their quite different writing styles and use of vocabulary. "J" used Jehovah exclusively for God and may have been a person in the court of Solomon about 950 BC. "E" used Elohim for God and wrote in the Northern Kingdom about 200 years later. "P" was concerned primarily with ritual and were probably priests writing during the Exile. "D" wrote the entire book of Deuteronomy about 600 BC. "R" were the redactors or editors who cobbled it all together. This whole process took place over some 500 years.

Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The Bible itself never stated who wrote what, when it comes to the Pentateuch. Modern biblical studies finds at least four major sources for the Pentateuch. This is based on a very fine-point, detailed analysis of teh texts in Hebrew. If you want to reject this, you can. However, that would simply be seen as you jumping the gun, as you have not studied Hebrew or any of teh literature in biblical studies. I also don't think you quite understand the situation with the two Genesis accounts, Npmadictheist. Here is my critique of the situation.

When we approach the study of Scripture, I think we should be willing to step outside the small box of narration presented within the narrow confines of fundamentalist thinking about the Bible. In so doing, we must cast aside the preexisting bias that everything in Scripture has to be true, that everything happened just the way the Bible says it happened. We should approach Scripture, with an open mind. Maybe it is all dictated by God and inerrant , maybe it isn't. Let us see.

Bearing the above in mind, let us proceed on to the Genesis account of creation. It is readily apparent that it stands in stark contradiction to modern scientific accounts. If we stay within the confines of the fundamentalist box, science is clearly a thing of the Devil, and that's the end of it. But is it? Perhaps there are other possibilities. Let us also explore those. For centuries, solid Bible-believing Christians have had no problem in recognizing the Bible is not an accurate geophysical witness. After all, who believes that the earth is really flat, that everything revolves around the earth, etc.? So I don't see why Genesis should be any exception. Bur wait a sec. Just how did traditional Christianity manage to step out of the fundamentalist box here? Here it is important to consider the writings of the Protestant Reformers, who lived right on the scene, right at the time when science was beginning to serious question the flat earth, etc. Let's take a peak at Calvin, for example. He followed what is called the doctrine of accommodations. Accordingly, our minds are so puny that God often has to talk “baby talk” (Calvin's term) to us, to accommodate his message to our infirmities. He wrote a major commentary on Genesis, and, in his remarks on Gen. 1:6, he emphasized that God is here to accommodate to our weaknesses and therefore, most emphatically, is not here to teach us actual astronomy.

Now, about the to contradictory accounts. It is my position that we must step outside the fundamentalist box and come to the text open-minded. It is my position that there are two contradictory accounts. It is my position we must resist all the fiendish effects created within the narrow confines of the fundamentalist box to unduly smash them together and bludgeon them into one account. The best way to approach a text is to go on the plain reading. Hence, in Gen . 1, first animals are created, the man and woman together. In Gen. 2, first man, then animals, then woman. What may or may not be apparent in English translations is that there are two very different literary styles here. Gen. 1, fr example, is sing-songy, very sing-songy. Hence, Haydn wrote a major work titled

“The Creation,” based solely on Gen. 1. Gen,. 2 is narrative and not very singable. If you study the Hebrew here in more detail, we are also dealing with to different authors coming from tow different time periods.

Let's turn to the stated content of the chronologies. As I said, a plain reading shows an obvious contradiction here. And as I said, many a fiendish attempt has been made within the fundamentalist box to smash these together. That is a favorite tactic of mode than one online self-styled apologists and also certain members in this group, no personal insult intended. So let us now go down through a list of the major devious attempts to smash the texts together and why they don't work.

There is the pluperfect theory. Accordingly, all apparent contradictions can be easily explained simply by recognizing that everything in Gen. 2 should be translated in the pluperfect tense, thereby referring right back to one. So the line should read,...So God HAD created the animals,,,” So the problem is simply generated in the reader's mind simply because the English Bible has been mistranslated here. To a lay person, this might look impressive. However, if you know anything at all about Hebrew, this solution immediately falls on its face. There is no, repeat no, pluperfect tense in Hebrew.

There is the two-creation theory. Accordingly, Gen. 1 and 2 refer to two different creations. Gen. 1 describes the total overall creation of the universe. Gen. 2 is purely concerned with what happened in the garden of Eden, with events that happened after the total overall creation. Looks promising. However, what is snot shown or addressed in the fundamentalist box is the fact fact this theory generates treffic problems in accounting for all the personnel involved and, in so doing g, has led to ridiculous results. A good example is the Lilith theory that was widespread among Medieval Christians and Jews. The problem was this: If we are fusing these accounts together, then there is a woman created in Gen. 1, and at the same time as Adam, who is not named, and who obviously exists in addition to Eve. Who is she? Her name is Lilith and she is Adam's first wife. She was domineering and liked riding on top of Adam when they had sex. Adam didn't like this and neither did God, as women are to be submissive. So God gave Adam a second wife, Eve, who at least stayed underneath during sex. Lilith then got mad, ran away, became a witch, and goes around terrorizing children, so that it was common to find a crib with “God save up from Lilith” written on it. Now, unless you believe in the existence of preAdamites, and the fundamentalist box does not and most Christians do not either, then this whole situation is absolutely ridiculous.

There is the latent-chronology theory. Accordingly, the account is written by one author, never mind the literary differences. What he takes as the real chronology is that which is presented in Gen. 1. However, when he gets to Gen. 2, he for some reason, does not work through or explicate that chronology in its true order. Well, by that same token, why not assume his rue chronology is gen. 1 and that Gen. I is just his idea of explicating it out of order, for some reason? See, that strategy backfires. In addition, one wonders why an author would set up his chronology on one page and then on the next explicate it out of order. That sure is an awkward, messy way of explaining yourself.

Now if any of you readers have in mind a better solution, I and other biblical scholars would like to hear it.

Another problem with the Genesis account is that it does not make it clear how God creates. Some will say it definitely means creatio ex nihilo. But God created Adam out of dust, not out of nothing. God created Eve out of Adam's rib, not out of nothing. God creates the adult out of the child, not our of nothing. The opening of the Genesis account is ambiguous here. Maybe god creates out of nothing, but maybe out of some preexistence chaos.

Upvote 0

Mark51

Site Supporter
Nov 11, 2014
✟89,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible does not specify the length of each of the creative periods. Yet all six of them have ended, it being said with respect to the sixth day. (Genesis 1:31) However, this statement is not made regarding the seventh day, on which God proceeded to rest, indicating that it continued. (Genesis 2:1-3) Also, Paul indicated that the seventh day, or God’s rest day was still in progress. At Hebrews 4:1-11 he referred to the earlier words of David (Psalms 95:7, 8, 11) and to Genesis 2:2 and urged: “Let us therefore do our utmost to enter into that rest.”

Other cases where the word “day” is used in a flexible or figurative sense are: “the day of God’s creating Adam” (Genesis 5:1), “the day of Jehovah” (Zephaniah 1:7), the “day of fury” (Zephaniah 1:15), “the day of salvation” (2 Corinthians 6:2), “the day of judgment” (2 Peter 3:7), “the great day of God the Almighty” (Revelation 16:14), and others. Similarly, is it not common to hear a person to say: “I my day”….

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
The first few chapters of Genesis are a myth...a way for the ancient Israelites to explain how a monotheistic religion grew in the midst of the polytheistic religions around them. Every single culture has a creation myth. There are truths there to be sure, but the idea of a literal six day creation 6000 years ago is not backed up by anything other than an unwillingness to understand that science, the big bang theory and evolution are NOT opposed to God. Something came from nothing...how did that happen? That seems to point to some exterior force to set that all in motion, making the idea that God started it all reasonable. God exists out of time so the 13+ billion years that our universe has existed is not unreasonable. Clinging to a notion that is not, in any way, shape, or form, reasonable makes people look rather...well...goofy. It's one reason of many that Fundamentalist Christians are often not taken seriously by a more educated culture.

The creation/evolution "debate" (I don't see it as a debate because I don't take the first few chapters of Genesis as a science textbook) is not a salvational issue. The New Testament lays out exactly what one must believe to be saved...and I don't see anything in there about taking a myth as truth.

Reactions: Jadis40
Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum!

There seems to be a lot of argument amongst Christians as to whether Genesis, especially the first two chapters, should be taken as literal history or whether it should just be regarded allegorically.

Personally, I cannot see from a straight reading of the English translations, that there is any doubt that Genesis is referring to six literal days for creation; that creation being just a few thousand years ago if you add up the genealogies from other parts of the Bible.

Now, ignoring any claims to the contrary from secular scientists, could someone explain to me what evidence there is to support the idea that Genesis was not meant to be taken literally? I do have other questions for those who do not accept a literal Genesis, but I'll start another thread about that later on. For the moment, I'd just like to concentrate on the above question.

I believe that every word of Genesis is fact, just as I believe the other 65 books of the Bible are fact as well. When we begin to cherry-pick what we want to believe and doubt what God says then it's a very slippery slope. I take it as six literal days but in the end the big takeaway is that God has always existed, is the Creator of all things, and is in complete control.

Right from the outset we see that God created everything (including man His own image), that man was given a woman to be his wife and helpmate, that man was to work and govern over nature, and that everything was created to bring glory to God.

Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
That being the case, ThunderPeel, how do you explain the many contradictions in teh Bible? Here's a rundown on Genesis.

1. \

As I have said before, and will say again, I do not think Genesis can be taken as literal, scientific, or historical.
    When we approach the study of Scripture, I think we should be willing to step outside the small box of narration presented within the narrow confines of fundamentalist thinking about the Bible. In so doing, we must cast aside the preexisting bias that everything in Scripture has to be true, that everything happened just the way the Bible says it happened. We should approach Scripture, with an open mind. Maybe it is all dictated by God and inerrant , maybe it isn't. Let us see.

Bearing the above in mind, let us proceed on to the Genesis account of creation. It is readily apparent that it stands in stark contradiction to modern scientific accounts. If we stay within the confines of the fundamentalist box, science is clearly a thing of the Devil, and that's the end of it. But is it? Perhaps there are other possibilities. Let us also explore those. For centuries, solid Bible-believing Christians have had no problem in recognizing the Bible is not an accurate geophysical witness. After all, who believes that the earth is really flat, that everything revolves around the earth, etc.? So I don't see why Genesis should be any exception. Bur wait a sec. Just how did traditional Christianity manage to step out of the fundamentalist box here? Here it is important to consider the writings of the Protestant Reformers, who lived right on the scence, right at the time when science was beginning to serious question the flat earth, etc. Let's take a peak at Calvin, for example. He followed what is called the doctrine of accommodations. Accordingly, our minds are so puny that God often has to talk “baby talk” (Calvin's term) to us, to accommodate his message to our infirmities. He wrote a major commentary on Genesis, and, in his remarks on Gen. 1:6, he emphasized that God is here to accommodate to our weaknesses and therefore, most emphatically, is not here to teach us actual astronomy.

Now, about the to contradictory accounts. It is my position that we must step outside the fundamentalist box and come to the text open-minded. It is my position that there are two contradictory accounts. It is my position we must resist all the fiendish effects created within the narrow confines of the fundamentalist box to unduly smash them together and bludgeon them into one account. The best way to approach a text is to go on the plain reading. Hence, in Gen . 1, first animals are created, the man and woman together. In Gen. 2, first man, then animals, then woman. What may or may not be apparent in English translations is that there are two very different literary styles here. Gen. 1, fr example, is sing-songy, very sing-songy. Hence, Haydn wrote a major work titled

“The Creation,” based solely on Gen. 1. Gen,. 2 is narrative and not very singable. If you study the Hebrew here in more detail, we are also dealing with to different authors coming from tow different time periods.

Let's turn to the stated content of the chronologies. As I said, a plain reading shows an obvious contradiction here. And as I said, many a fiendish attempt has been made within the fundamentalist box to smash these together. That is a favorite tactic of mode than one online self-styled apologists and also certain members in this group, no personal insult intended. So let us now go down through a list of the major devious attempts to smash the texts together and why they don't work.

There is the pluperfect theory. Accordingly, all apparent contradictions can be easily explained simply by recognizing that everything in Gen. 2 should be translated in the pluperfect tense, thereby referring right back to one. So the line should read,...So God HAD created the animals,,,” So the problem is simply generated in the reader's mind simply because the English Bible has been mistranslated here. To a lay person, this might look impressive. However, if you know anything at all about Hebrew, this solution immediately falls on its face. There is no, repeat no, pluperfect tense in Hebrew.

There is the two-creation theory. Accordingly, Gen. 1 and 2 refer to two different creations. Gen. 1 describes the total overall creation of the universe. Gen. 2 is purely concerned with what happened in the garden of Eden, with events that happened after the total overall creation. Looks promising. However, what is snot shown or addressed in the fundamentalist box is the fact fact this theory generates treffic problems in accounting for all the personnel involved and, in so doing g, has led to ridiculous results. A good example is the Lilith theory that was widespread among Medieval Christians and Jews. The problem was this: If we are fusing these accounts together, then there is a woman created in Gen. 1, and at the same time as Adam, who is not named, and who obviously exists in addition to Eve. Who is she? Her name is Lilith and she is Adam's first wife. She was domineering and liked riding on top of Adam when they had sex. Adam didn't like this and neither did God, as women are to be submissive. So God gave Adam a second wife, Eve, who at least stayed underneath during sex. Lilith then got mad, ran away, became a witch, and goes around terrorizing children, so that it was common to find a crib with “God save up from Lilith” written on it. Now, unless you believe in the existence of preAdamites, and the fundamentalist box does not and most Christians do not either, then this whole situation is absolutely ridiculous.

There is the latent-chronology theory. Accordingly, the account is written by one author, never mind the literary differences. What he takes as the real chronology is that which is presented in Gen. 1. However, when he gets to Gen. 2, he for some reason, does not work through or explicate that chronology in its true order. Well, by that same token, why not assume his rue chronology is gen. 1 and that Gen. I is just his idea of explicating it out of order, for some reason? See, that strategy backfires. In addition, one wonders why an author would set up his chronology on one page and then on the next explicate it out of order. That sure is an awkward, messy way of explaining yourself.

Now if any of you readers have in mind a better solution, I and other biblical scholars would like to hear it.

P.S. Another problem with the Genesis account is that it does not make it clear how God creates. Some will say it definitely means creatio ex nihilo. But God created Adam out of dust, not out of nothing. God created Eve out of Adam's rib, not out of nothing. God creates the adult out of the child, not our of nothing. The opening of the Genesis account is ambiguous here. Maybe god creates out of nothing, but maybe out of some preexistence chaos.

Upvote 0

kmrichard7

May 20, 2015
✟10,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I take it literally and i hold the typical "the first seven days were not by our time clock but by His.
The sun and moon were not created until the fourth day (1:14-19) Yet every prior day it mentions evening passing and morning coming from the first day. We mark evening and morning by the suns location in the sky, making it impossible to have earthly days up until this point.
When Adam was created he was created to rule over all of the creatures which leads me to believe that he was created after the dinosaurs (just to add a little more controvercy haha) and in turn confirms (to me) my belief that the first seven days were not our days but His.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum!

There seems to be a lot of argument amongst Christians as to whether Genesis, especially the first two chapters, should be taken as literal history or whether it should just be regarded allegorically.
They'reconfused by naturalistic thinking, which is the mandatory belief nowadays...
Personally, I cannot see from a straight reading of the English translations, that there is any doubt that Genesis is referring to six literal days for creation; that creation being just a few thousand years ago if you add up the genealogies from other parts of the Bible.
Neither can i.
How much more emphasis would be needed in the text to point out it's about 6 literal days?
Now, ignoring any claims to the contrary from secular scientists, could someone explain to me what evidence there is to support the idea that Genesis was not meant to be taken literally?
It's even repeated in the 4 commandment, and by later Bible texts, even by Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Imagican

old dude
Jan 14, 2006
Orlando, Florida
✟45,021.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When we consider that the people of the time of Moses were quite a bit more primitive than we have grown in understanding today, it is pretty presumptuous to accept Genesis as 'literal'. God explained His order of creation in a manner that 'they' could understand.

And it still holds true today. The order of creation in Genesis matches everything we have learned since.

But six literal 'days'? Really? The NT tells us that a day to God can be as 1,000 years or 1,000 years to a day. That alone ought to spark some reality into the Genesis 'story'.

While science hasn't answered 'everything', we have learned quite a bit about the world in which we live. And we now 'know' that life on this planet is millions of years old. Hundreds of millions of years in fact. If a day to God can be like 1,000 years to us, then it only stands to reason that this too is allegory. It would be just as true to say that a day to God can be as 10 million years to us. God is 'outside' of time. Time only exists to us because we are mortal. God being immortal is 'timeless'.

And why is it so difficult to fathom that a 'timeless God' might well enjoy watching His creation 'evolve' over millions of years according to our 'days'? And like any 'creator', what reason do we have to believe that 'evolution' wasn't the manner in which God made 'changes' in the things that He created? Aided, allowed, or took direct action in turning one form of 'creature' into another?

I'm not talking about humanity. I'm referring to the myriad fossil evidence we have of creatures that once existed in abundance that do so no longer. We can see through the evidence that many 'creatures' evolved into something different than how they 'began'.

And if God is a 'loving God' as we are informed through the Word, why would it be surprising that He took hundreds of millions of years to prepare a 'place' for His 'ultimate creation': mankind?

To believe in a literal six days of creation forces men to believe that all that exists on and in this planet took place in six literal days. Gold, diamonds, oil, and heck, the entire fossil record, all took place just a few thousand years ago in 'six literal days'? Sounds beyond 'sketchy' to me. Sounds exactly like what the 'story' is: a 'child's tale'. Offered simply as a basic 'guide' in revealing the 'order' in which creation was accomplished. And using words that could be understood by those at the time it was revealed. Are we to 'really' believe that God 'needed' to rest? And for 'one day'? These things are offered as symbolic, not literal. And refusing to accept the account as literal in no way shape or form gets in the way of faith.

For I am a firm believer that God is our 'Creator'. But I find the concept of 'six days of creation' to be nothing other than symbolic. Six: time periods perhaps. But each of those 'days' or time periods could have been tens of millions of years or MORE.

Let me ask this: what else was God 'doing' for 'eternity'? Even hundreds of millions of years has no bearing on an entity that is immortal or eternal. I mean, 'really', how 'old' is God? See. And how do we know that He didn't find 'creation' capable of amusing Himself for a few BILLION years? Hey, what else did He have to 'do' for eternity?

But on a more serious note, science is proving more and more all the time. The simple fact that light from other stars has taken millions of years to 'get here' is a pretty good indication that God is not a 'magician'. The light has been traveling through space for millions of years for us to be able to 'see it'. That's truth through science, not voodoo or magic.

2 Peter 3:8
But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Blessings,

MEC

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I think the intent of the P source, author of Gen. 1 was six twenty-four hour days. I say that, because he is working through a week here. Reading in millions of years, etc., is way too allegorical, too far from the plain meaning of the text. Also, bear in mind we are dealing with two different, contradictory accounts in Genesis.

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What did Cain say when God chased him out of the land of his father? Who were these other people that Cain was afraid of? Remember there were only Adam, Eve, Cain and Able. And Able was dead, that only left Mom and Dad. Who were these other people? How does this figure in with your two-author theory?

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe they are from Gen.1, where God CREATED MAN AND WOMAN in His image. At the same time. If we read Gen.2 we find that God FORMED Adam from the dust of the earth. And He MADE Eve form the rib of Adam. IMO, there is something to be said about the differences of being created, formed and made. These things need to be taken into consideration also.

I still would like to know how the scholars determined the two-authors of Gen.1&2, especially when the original autographs can't be found.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I don't follow you here, IMO. What differences are you seeing between being created, formed, and made?
OK, how do we know there are two authors here. For one thing the chronologies are very different. In Gen. 1, first animals, then man and woman together. In Gen. 2, first man, then animals, then woman. Next, there is a major difference in literary style. This is far more apparent in Hebrew than in English. However, I think you can see that Gen. 1 is sort of sing-songy, like a chant, something for a worship service. Gen. 2 is a narrative style. The narrative style is generally assumed to have come long before the liturgical. And the are other differences. When scholars look at Scripture, in the original, they can pretty much tell what came first and when, based on the word usage, punctuation, spelling, etc. Generally the earlier the text, the less standard the punctuation, spelling, grammar, etc. This is hard to explain to those unfamiliar with old languages. To share some of my experience, I translated and published two volumes of Calvin's sermons, originally written in Old French. The spelling could be all over the place and while there appeared to be some effort at punctuation, it was very poor, compared to today. Also, almost run-on sentences were used. In my translation, I put everything in modern English, so none of this shows through. So, looking an any French manuscript, I can pretty well tell what time period it is from. A comparable example would be one looking at a page with one paragraph in modern English and the one below in old English. It is be very obvious these are coming from different authors at different time periods. The same is true of working with the Pentateuch, provided, of course, yo7u are reading it in Hebrew.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now, ignoring any claims to the contrary from secular scientists, could someone explain to me what evidence there is to support the idea that Genesis was not meant to be taken literally?

Playing Devil's advocate:

Why take 7 days?
Where is this wonderful garden?
Why are some animals talking?
Is't the creation sequence kind of odd?
Why does God need to rest?
Why don't we see miracles today?
Just two people for our parents?
Who did the children mate with?
That's a lot of animals to name.
The earth looks older.
Nothing is written to suggest the earth is young.
The genealogies are not easy to add up and don't all match.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The problem that I see with that interpretation is that Gen 1 and Gen 2 each provide a chronology. There are enough differences between then that they both can't be historical accounts. Either Adam was created before animals or after; it can't be both.

Two accounts of the same events are often retold differently.
What one sees on one side of a football field, is not identical
to play-by-play from the other.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
http://www.christianforums.com/threads/twelve-tribes-of-israel-as-aetiological-myth.7936460/

I posted this a while back with no replies, so as it is related to this topic, I am posting the link in case people are interested in Biblical Archaeology.

The fact is that people have been stressing the creation accounts, while there are a lot of far more suspect historical narrative in Genesis.
If we follow the narrative of the Tower of Babel, we would expect common urheimats or original homelands for the world's language groups in at least the same general area. While there can be debate on this as the narrative said they moved away from each other, it should at least cast doubt.

Abraham would be active in Canaan at about the times of major Hittite and Egyptian wars, nothing of which is heard in the narrative. This is like setting a story in 1945 Berlin and no mention of that war.

The fact of JEPD authorship is very probable based on textual grounds, forms of words and duplications of events. Besides, the narrative being historical or not does not change the implications of the narrative.
The New Testament itself has issues of duplicated narratives having slight variations in the Synoptics. I think this shows that God isn't bothered by petty human needs for exact historical litteralism, what matters to Him is the Salvific Truth thereof.

Upvote 0

Imagican

old dude
Jan 14, 2006
Orlando, Florida
✟45,021.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How about this: If we interpret Genesis 1 and 2 according to present evidence, it becomes clear that there were indeed two separate 'creations' of man.

Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon are no longer theory, it is DNA fact that there were two distinctly different forms of human beings present on this planet. One much older than the other. The DNA still exists today.

And that is what the Bible states.

Original man was a nomadic gatherer.

The account of the creation of Adam was that a man was formed to 'till the Earth'. A 'farmer' or tender of a 'garden'.

We know that it took many thousands of years before men learned to farm. No need. Until tribal numbers went beyond the capacity of the food source, there was no need to plant and harvest.

The second chapter of Genesis begins with everything being FINISHED concerning creation. And then it says that there was 'not a man to till the Earth'. It does NOT say that there were no men. It states that there was 'no man to TILL the Earth'. No man that had learned the art of agriculture.

And that would match the scientific evidence perfectly. Until men began to live in permanent settlements, there was no need for farming.

And how long do you suppose men were upon this planet 'before' they began to build 'cities'? Yet Cain built a 'city'.

When Cain killed his brother, God placed a Mark on Cain so that all who might 'find him' would know what he had done. WHO? If his parents were the only other people on the planet, WHO? And who would Cain be afraid of seeing the 'mark'? If his parents already knew what he had done, what significance would 'the mark' have if they were the only other people on the planet?

And names. Where do places get their names? By those that name them. Where do you suppose 'the Land of Nod' got it's name? God? Of course not. It got it's name from those that lived there. Those from whom Cain chose a wife.

As far as we know, there were already large parts of civilization in existence at the time of the creation of Adam and Eve. There were certainly people spread all over Africa and the Middle East. Enough people where they had already developed languages and started naming places and rivers etc........

Before we had the understanding that exists today, it made sense to misinterpret what the Bible offers. But we no longer have the luxury of such an excuse. We have proven that there were once TWO distinct forms of human being on this planet. For a long time, scientist believed on destroyed the other. But they have now discovered trough DNA that they simply integrated. The older was not destroyed by the younger. They became ONE.

And wouldn't this explain the 'sons of God' and 'daughters of men' mystery? No angels or aliens. Merely the descendants of Adam, (sons of God), and the daughters of men, (descendants of the first creation). Cro Magnon and Neanderthal.

Blessings,

MEC

Reactions: Jadis40
Upvote 0