mlbb_drummer

AUDACIOUS 2004
Feb 24, 2003
manchester (england)
Visit site
✟921.00
Faith
Christian
i'm guessing you know what i'm talking about..... i just was reading this the othere day and i didn't quite understand the thing that says about sons of God, taking wives and producing giants or someting like that (i think called nephilium)

anyways i yalkied to my dad about it and he said there are 2 main interpritations of it, 1 which say that actual hevenly beings came and took wives. And 1 which says that the sons of God mean that they were just men on earth (but that would make no sense to me because i don't see the significence ) (although i heard about people useing sex as a kind of recreation or something like that)

Anyways, please could you help me understand this issue..............Thanks!!! hehe :thumbsup:

Didaskomenos

Voiced Bilabial Spirant
Feb 11, 2002
GA
Visit site
✟18,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
The most obvious interpretation of "sons of God" as angels is possible, but if so, Jesus corrected this ancient belief when he said that the angels of heaven "neither marry nor are given in marriage." The other one I've heard is that the line of Seth, the godly line, was the sons of God, and the sons of men are the descendents of Cain. But this doesn't seem to explain why their sons were giant "men of renown." No, I think it's a somewhat oblique reference to an ancient Israelite belief lost to us.

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A third interpretation is that it is a bit of ancient mythology that has found its way into the Jewish primordial history.

BTW, there are parallel threads in both Exposition and General Theology on this subject. You might find those discussions interesting.

Upvote 0

mlbb_drummer

AUDACIOUS 2004
Feb 24, 2003
manchester (england)
Visit site
✟921.00
Faith
Christian
ClementofRome said:
A third interpretation is that it is a bit of ancient mythology that has found its way into the Jewish primordial history.

BTW, there are parallel threads in both Exposition and General Theology on this subject. You might find those discussions interesting.
if this were to be true, it would mean that the bible is not truthful! and i don't accept such things! hehe. that however depends on where you stand on the authoritiy of the bible, which i believe to be inspired by God, and therefore i am convinced that God wouldn't let "mythology" into the bible. (personal opinion only)

Upvote 0

Didaskomenos

Voiced Bilabial Spirant
Feb 11, 2002
GA
Visit site
✟18,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
ClementofRome said:

That is my intepretation, too.

:wave: Hi! Here's what Christian Answers Net says about the Nephilim:

http://christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c036.html

Hope this helps a little ;)

Let's take this apart. After dismissing without any real argument the idea of extraterrestrial involvement, they mostly rehash what we've already said. In addition, they offer the suggestion that some kind of selective breeding was caused by the demonic "sons of God" :)eek: :scratch: ) when they possessed unmentioned sons of men to produce giants. They also advance a theory that the fathers of the Nephilim only claimed to be "sons of God" in the manner of the Pharaohs. Although this is an interesting appeal to contemporay Ancient Near Eastern evidence (a good step), the fact remains that the text explicitly states that they were "sons of God."

Well, no offense here, but God doesn't seem to share your dislike of mythology. ;) "Mythology" gets a bad rap as "untrue story," but it's actually a non-historical story that carries metaphysical truths, regardless of the historical particulars. The first ten chapters or so of Genesis contains much mythology. Tell me, if you imagine just for a moment that it is not supposed to be a historical account and read this passage, doesn't it sound like an ancient legend? It sounds like the lesson is, sons of God shouldn't marry the daughters of men. Or "be not unequally yoked with unbelievers." I'm not saying it's an allegory or a parable, although both of those non-historical types of story are present in the Bible without Christians worrying about Biblical authority. God included myths in the Bible because by very nature, they have multiple applications.

Upvote 0

mlbb_drummer

AUDACIOUS 2004
Feb 24, 2003
manchester (england)
Visit site
✟921.00
Faith
Christian
i wondered earlier if the fact the wors "sons" only begins with a small "s" rather than a large one, however whenever something of deity appears in the bible it seems to appear in capitals. i think this has significence for me in some ways and i kinda lean towards the "line of Seth" thing, but i still don't get it.

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
mlbb_drummer said:
i wondered earlier if the fact the wors "sons" only begins with a small "s" rather than a large one, however whenever something of deity appears in the bible it seems to appear in capitals. i think this has significence for me in some ways and i kinda lean towards the "line of Seth" thing, but i still don't get it.

Don't look at the English for heaven's sake....it will offer nothing but an interpretation (of which you have already rejected at least one). Does the Hebrew have an UPPER case or a lower case????

Upvote 0

Didaskomenos

Voiced Bilabial Spirant
Feb 11, 2002
GA
Visit site
✟18,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Well, remember that Hebrew and Greek make no capital/lower case distinction. What we see of that is based on the translator's hunches (for instance, the NIV doesn't capitalize "he" "him" "his" when referring to God, because the Bible doesn't do it either).

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Didaskomenos said:
Well, remember that Hebrew and Greek make no capital/lower case distinction. What we see of that is based on the translator's hunches (for instance, the NIV doesn't capitalize "he" "him" "his" when referring to God, because the Bible doesn't do it either).

Thanks Didaskomenos...that was my point. Blessings.
CofR

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mlbb_drummer

AUDACIOUS 2004
Feb 24, 2003
manchester (england)
Visit site
✟921.00
Faith
Christian
ok well i didn't know that....hehe you DO learn something every day!

Well i was looking in a study bible thing today, and it mentioned that the word (nephillim) meant in the Greek (i think that's the lang old testement greek? ya?) "fallen ones"

i figured, as it meant that, could it possibly mean the fallen angels who fell along with satan? i mean God was not pleased with their behaviour and then he sed he'd wipe out the world in 120 years (hence the flood 120 yrs later (imo).

so anyways i think the deamons were definately on the earth at that time, coz satan was, and i wondered if that's one possibility, or am i barking up the wrong tree?

Upvote 0
mlbb_drummer said:
i'm guessing you know what i'm talking about..... i just was reading this the othere day and i didn't quite understand the thing that says about sons of God, taking wives and producing giants or someting like that (i think called nephilium)

anyways i yalkied to my dad about it and he said there are 2 main interpritations of it, 1 which say that actual hevenly beings came and took wives. And 1 which says that the sons of God mean that they were just men on earth (but that would make no sense to me because i don't see the significence ) (although i heard about people useing sex as a kind of recreation or something like that)

Anyways, please could you help me understand this issue..............Thanks!!! hehe :thumbsup:

sons of God in the Old Testament are not by salvation but by individual creation Job 1:6, 2:1, 38:7 they got to see the earth made

2 peter 2:4, 1 peter 3:19-20,jude 6-7 explain what they did in Gen 6

if you want more detailed explanation pm me

Upvote 0

Carl the Copt

An Orthodox Dude
Dec 30, 2004
The Dalles, Oregon USA
✟190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think the story is there because it will make us modern folk see that we do not see and in fact are blind. But that will come only after the great fights over just what is being talked about come to an end. The wise choice is to say the story means something but unless we change and see the world as the ancients did we will never know what it means.
Carl the Copt

Upvote 0

Daily Miracle

Dec 10, 2002
Visit site
✟548.00
Faith
Christian
mlbb_drummer said:
ok well i didn't know that....hehe you DO learn something every day!

Well i was looking in a study bible thing today, and it mentioned that the word (nephillim) meant in the Greek (i think that's the lang old testement greek? ya?) "fallen ones"

i figured, as it meant that, could it possibly mean the fallen angels who fell along with satan? i mean God was not pleased with their behaviour and then he sed he'd wipe out the world in 120 years (hence the flood 120 yrs later (imo).

so anyways i think the deamons were definately on the earth at that time, coz satan was, and i wondered if that's one possibility, or am i barking up the wrong tree?

mlbb_drummer is on the right track.

I think Satan took something like 1/3 of the angels with him when he fell. When they took wives, it so grieved God that he caused the Flood.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.