Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
OK. Gay pride is not about pride. I think we agree. So let's come up with a word that isn't so inaccurate.

Defiance. That's how I see it anyways. As I've said, when certain groups with alot of power try to tell you you're wrong on a level that is fundamental to who you are, it makes sense to throw your "wrongness" in their face as much as possible.

Upvote 0
T

TeddyReceptus

I'm confused. If they are born that way, as many of them (erroneously IMO) believe, why would they take pride in that fact? Should I be proud of "being born" hetero?

Actually hetero pride is pretty much every day on planet earth. Not sure if you've visited, but here heterosexuals can openly express affection for their loved ones! (And they don't get beat to death for it or have to hide it).

Upvote 0

SmellsLikeCurlyFries

Social Capitalist
Jan 22, 2012
Chattanooga, Tennessee
✟5,424.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Defiance. That's how I see it anyways. As I've said, when certain groups with alot of power try to tell you you're wrong on a level that is fundamental to who you are, it makes sense to throw your "wrongness" in their face as much as possible.

Republicans/Christians do it all the time. For some reason, it's only a bad thing to do if you are Muslim, liberal, or a boy who likes boys or a girl who likes girls :p

Upvote 0
T

TeddyReceptus

I suppose. But if I had a birthmark that everyone made fun of, I doubt that the ridicule would make me proud of the birthmark. Shame or pride toward that which one is born with, seem equally irrational to me.

Did you ever think that the "Pride" festivals aren't just for the gay people's benefit? Maybe it's to encourage more gay people to reveal that they are gay so that the countless bigots in the world will realize that...ohmygosh...they know some gay people!!!

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,351.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Maybe I should be proud of my blue eyes. It's awesome having to squint in the sun.

Perhaps if there were multiple whole religions who were essentially anti blue eye hate groups like yours is an anti-homosexual hate group you might have a point about taking pride in there being nothing wrong with having. blue eyes.

Upvote 0

stiggywiggy

Jun 16, 2004
✟2,074.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Actually hetero pride is pretty much every day on planet earth.

Whee!! I like women. I'm so proud!!! Every day on this planet earth, I strut like a peacock because I like the ladies! Come join me, 90% of the poplulation, and we'll strut together. Our whole life's a parade.

Upvote 0

Wayte

Oh, you know. Some guy.
Jan 31, 2010
Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah, but a Gay Defiance Parade wouldn't sound too good, right? So they need to deceive the public about their own attitude toward their sexual inclinations, and keep saying they're proud?

It's tactful. Everybody uses tact in one way or another. Hell, society considers a lack of tact a bad thing, so I don't see who your reasoning holds any real water.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
T

TeddyReceptus

No, they didn't.

It's time people - especially Christians, who if they aren't already, (and if they aren't, they ought to repent) started calling the "gay lifestyle" what it is - perverse and degenerate.

And maybe, just maybe it's time someone turned the tide on these people who are falsely, and pridefully proclaiming perversion and degeneracy as "normal" and sued them for - oh, I don't know, hijacking a perfectly decent word in the English language ("gay") and corrupting its definition.

Ooooh, the gayz done messed up a perfectly good word! Will they stop at nothing????

Grrrrr.

Sometimes you just want mince around and shout "I'm incredibly gay today!" and now you can't! Because people might think you like having relations with people of the same gender.

Now, despite about a billion synonyms for "happy" perfectly unsullied by the horrible homo hordes, we are left bereft of a perfectly good all-American word like Gay!

And what about people, like myself, who simply love chopping wood and making small bits of wood for my fireplace. Oh sure I could say "I really need a stick of kindling" but easily 50% of the synonyms I would use are out of reach.

Upvote 0

stiggywiggy

Jun 16, 2004
✟2,074.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Perhaps if there were multiple whole religions who were essentially anti blue eye hate groups like yours is an anti-homosexual hate group you might have a point about taking pride in there being nothing wrong with having. blue eyes.

I doubt it. As I said, if I had been born with a birthmark that was ridiculed constantly, I don't think that the persecution would cause me to be so irrational as to take pride in something I did nothing to achieve.

Upvote 0

Wayte

Oh, you know. Some guy.
Jan 31, 2010
Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
or maybe if noting the neoteny, pedophilic and mental instability inherent in blue eyed people was a hate crime, you'd have a point.

Or maybe if people said things about blue eyed people that were a result of fearmongering.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,351.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I doubt it. As I said, if I had been born with a birthmark that was ridiculed constantly, I don't think that the persecution would cause me to be so irrational as to take pride in something I did nothing to achieve.

Do you think serious adults would ever ridicule your birth mark?

If not then you don't have a case.

For you to have a case, serious adults, and society at large must ostracize you for something you can not choose or control, and they have to say it is because of the good and holy creator of the universe telling them to do so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
T

TeddyReceptus

Yeah, but a Gay Defiance Parade wouldn't sound too good, right? So they need to deceive the public about their own attitude toward their sexual inclinations, and keep saying they're proud?

Ohmygosh! Have the gayz done spoilt another word??? "Pride"?

Used to be "pride" was what you felt when you won the big Football Game and patted your team mates on the behinds!

What have the horrible homo hordes done now?

THE DICTIONARY IS UNDER ATTACK! Help save our language! Soon every single word will be all gayed-up and "man handled" !

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,351.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
serious adults,

Well if that's your qualifier maybe they don't have a case :D

Christians expect to be taken seriously, and they expect to have their homophobia taken seriously, see some of the fellows in this thread like EdwinWillers.

I agree that taking them seriously is in and of itself problematic, as their arguments don’t really deserve serious consideration, but this is the society we live in.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.