Gay Marriage in CA - Changes in Marriage?

jamielindas

When given the option, choose love and compassion
Jan 30, 2008
✟16,274.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
So... as a gay Californian, I am very pleased about the fact that I currently have the right to marry another man and enjoy the legal rights/benefits/conveniences and responsibilities that come along with that.

However, I KNOW that there are many Californians that feel that I(we) should not have this right.

My questions are...

• How has marriage changed for straight people in California?
  • How has California changed since gays could now marry legally?
  • How has your heterosexual marriage changed?
  • How do you as a heterosexual feel about marriage now that I(we) can enjoy it as well?
  • Do you see marriage differently?
  • How will taking away the right to marry change things if the couples that have gotten married between June and Nov are still legally valid? (Legal analysts and the CA AG has said that even if prop 8 passes, it would not work retroactively)

things I want to state up front before

-no one is ever going to legally force any religious institution to perform or recognize these marriages. They are secular in nature and it is up to an individual religion's doctrine to accept or reject them just as it would be for marriage performed by another religion or in a courthouse/city hall/etc.

-The GLBT community only makes less than 10% of any population (even here in the bay area folks). Being gay is never going to be the norm or the majority (like being left handed) but it is always going to be present (like being left handed!)

-Not every gay person wants to be married... just like not every straight person wants to be married.

-If you're going to argue for the protection of children keep in mind two things : 1) it is currently legal for anyone of any religion or relationship status to adopt. 2) You need to actually cite evidence or studies that support anything you're going to say about the well being of children.

jamielindas

Jan 30, 2008
✟16,274.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah, just how many people have said, "Honey, we have to get a divorce because now those horrible gays can get married?"

Have you ever seen Wanda Sykes talk about gay marriage?
[SIZE=-1]www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IHdaJOZe7E[/SIZE]

"Every since Bill and Ted got together, we just can't make it work"

Upvote 0

Dogbean

Matt 7:24-27 - Standing on the Rock
Jun 12, 2005
Monterey, CA
✟10,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
I think LGBT couples should be permitted to marry if they want to and polls indicate California voters do too.
I would not expect anything less! California is one of the most liberal states in the union!

Upvote 0

jamielindas

Jan 30, 2008
✟16,274.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I would not expect anything less! California is one of the most liberal states in the union!

This is why I am a proud Californian...

Liberal isn't a dirty word.... many people have considered Jesus a liberal since his intention was to buck the system and bring a progressive mindset of love, compassion and social responsibility to the people he was with. He spend time and cared for members of society that were considered outsiders, filthy or full of sin.
Even if you're of another religion (or none at all) the message in the story of jesus clearly paints him as a rebellious agent of change. He had no intention to conserve the way things had been.

Reactions: Texas Lynn
Upvote 0

Dogbean

Jun 12, 2005
Monterey, CA
✟10,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
This is why I am a proud Californian...

Liberal isn't a dirty word.... many people have considered Jesus a liberal since his intention was to buck the system and bring a progressive mindset of love, compassion and social responsibility to the people he was with. He spend time and cared for members of society that were considered outsiders, filthy or full of sin.
Even if you're of another religion (or none at all) the message in the story of jesus clearly paints him as a rebellious agent of change. He had no intention to conserve the way things had been.
Jesus was more accurately considered a radical, not a liberal. They didn't know what to do with Him.

Upvote 0

jamielindas

Jan 30, 2008
✟16,274.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Jesus was more accurately considered a radical, not a liberal. They didn't know what to do with Him.

well... radical is a fairly charged word. I don't think I'd use that...

the point still stands... i find it odd that more christians don't identify with liberals in that respect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dogbean

Jun 12, 2005
Monterey, CA
✟10,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
well... radical is a fairly charged word. I don't think I'd use that...

the point still stands... i find it odd that more christians don't identify with liberals in that respect.
You can find it odd all you want. If Jesus came back today, He would not identify much with the political liberals of this day.

Upvote 0

Sylvanspirits

Aug 30, 2007
Washington State, United States
✟16,697.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
  • How has marriage changed for straight people in California?
It hasn't.
  • How has California changed since gays could now marry legally?
For the better. Tolerance is a good thing.
  • How has your heterosexual marriage changed?
I'm not married. :p
  • How do you as a heterosexual feel about marriage now that I(we) can enjoy it as well?
Quite happy.
  • Do you see marriage differently?
Not really. I see marriage as an expression of love and devotion between two people.
  • How will taking away the right to marry change things if the couples that have gotten married between June and Nov are still legally valid? (Legal analysts and the CA AG has said that even if prop 8 passes, it would not work retroactively)
It won't change anything, except to bring back the denial of rights to others.

Personally, I'm all for equal rights for homosexual couples.

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Lynn
Upvote 0

jamielindas

Jan 30, 2008
✟16,274.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
You can find it odd all you want. If Jesus came back today, He would not identify much with the political liberals of this day.

The way I see liberalism is the desire to create a society in which people can live their lives freely, applying their own morals, values and beliefs to their own lives with them government protecting that freedom. As long as the actions of people don't infringe upon the rights and freedoms of someone else, they are allowed to live their life.
I believe this is a progressive and sometimes radical thought for some.

most Conservatives seem to want to dictate the morals, values, and beliefs of society.
How would christians like it if the majority of the country they lived in was muslim or jewish and wanted to dictate their morals, values and beliefs? Just because the majority of society happens to be christian, doesn't mean it should be law to be christian or to subscribe to christian beliefs or values.

Upvote 0

Apollo Celestio

Deal with it.
Jul 11, 2007
Ohio
✟44,079.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
But in some cases (like mine), this is the truth.
Hm..

Jesus was a liberal in the sense of changing things around, but he was essentially trying to get people back to God, who..was the first.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.