Gay couples start to marry in Connecticut...

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟428,307.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The question which I brought up in the Proposition 8 in California issue was why would they want to get a right they already have under the civil union.....

"... The New Haven city clerk's office issued its first gay marriage license just minutes after a new state law allowing the unions went into effect.
The license went to Barbara and Robin Levine-Ritterman of New Haven, who were one of the eight couples who successfully challenged a state law prohibiting gay marriage....

That legal challenge led to the state Supreme Court's historic ruling Oct. 10 that same-sex couples have the right to wed rather than accept a civil union law designed to give them the same rights as married couples..."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-11-12-gay-marriage_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟428,307.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here is a view that seems to be right along these lines, and you will surprised as to who made it..

"...Sir Elton John..had some choice words about California's Proposition 8, the ban on same-sex marriage that passed on Nov. 4.
In December 2005, John.. tied the knot in a civil partnership ceremony in Windsor, England. But, clarified the singer, "We're not married. Let's get that right. We have a civil partnership. What is wrong with Proposition 8 is that they went for marriage. Marriage is going to put a lot of people off...."

"I don't want to be married. I'm very happy with a civil partnership. If gay people want to get married, or get together, they should have a civil partnership," said John. "The word marriage, I think, puts a lot of people off. You get the same equal rights that we do when we have a civil partnership. Heterosexual people get married. We can have civil partnerships."..."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2008-11-12-elton-john_N.htm

Upvote 0

moicherie

True Brit
Oct 13, 2005
United Kingdom
✟16,811.00
Faith
SDA
I think the legal rights might be different in the UK (not sure). But I think the best compromise for this is civil unions for everyone to gain the states legal benefits. And for those who want the religious element go to your local church, temple, mosque, synagogue etc but only make the civi unions legal. For example in the UK a religious nonChristian marriage is only recognised after they go to the registry office for the civil element.

Upvote 0

Xenon

Aug 11, 2007
Schaumburg, Illinois
✟15,675.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I think the legal rights might be different in the UK (not sure). But I think the best compromise for this is civil unions for everyone to gain the states legal benefits. And for those who want the religious element go to your local church, temple, mosque, synagogue etc but only make the civi unions legal. For example in the UK a religious nonChristian marriage is only recognised after they go to the registry office for the civil element.
Sounds good to me. That's really all the power that the state should have anyway.

Upvote 0

Pythons

Feb 17, 2008
✟5,503.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Eventually, if this keeps going, we will start watching civil unions between men and sheep, girls and dogs and everything in between. If it can be suggested that some people are "just" born being gay then it's most certain that it will be suggested that some are also born to inappropriate behavior with animals. We might as well find a good seat, grab a cold beer and some popcorn and watch the slow destruction of the US and the world.

Upvote 0

Pythons

Feb 17, 2008
✟5,503.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
puh-lease! aren't you being a bit dramatic? Like the only thing keeping our world from destruction is gay marriage?
don't you think people probably thought the same thing when, say, women were given voting rights?

Hardly. Natural Law (Moral Law) is imprinted into every human being on the planet and as Biblical and secular history demonstrates, gay relationships have always been kept in the closet because it was looked down upon by the majority of the people in "every society" as odd and "UN-NATURAL".

Un-natural is just another way of saying ABNORMAL and one would have to wonder what drives a minority of the population so feverishly to attempt to convince the majority that it's abnormal and un-natural to view an abnormal and un-natural lifestyle as abnormal. Could Christ be behind the energy to convince people Moral Law is whatever you want it to be? I think not. inappropriate behavior with animals is an alternative lifestyle and spoken of in the same way as BUGGERY in the Bible so would you be willing to suggest that a guy or girl who is drawn to being connected to an animal is uplifting to society and just as justified in joining a union with a beast? Come on!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kissmeimamie

searching
Nov 13, 2008
St. Louis, Mo
✟7,672.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
what does inappropriate behavior with animals have to do with gay rights, first of all.
Second of all, where is this Natural Law you speak of? I need to see proof.
And just because the majority of people think it's odd or unnatural doesn't mean it's evil or wrong. The majority of people don't like anchovies...does that mean that those who do are evil?
I go back to what my mother always said ..."if everyone else jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?".

Upvote 0
A

AndrewK788

what does inappropriate behavior with animals have to do with gay rights, first of all.
And just because the majority of people think it's odd or unnatural doesn't mean it's evil or wrong. The majority of people don't like anchovies...does that mean that those who do are evil?
I go back to what my mother always said ..."if everyone else jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?".

I'm not sure that this is a discussion as to whether homosexuality and/or inappropriate behavior with animals is wrong, but how much power the state should have over legislating such unions. If all you want to know is whether it is wrong, then look to the Bible as it clearly says multiple times that it is.

Upvote 0

Pythons

Feb 17, 2008
✟5,503.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Marriage is between one man and one woman so inappropriate behavior with animals has everything to do with gay rights. The gay lifestyle is an "alternative" lifestyle.

The only question you need to ask yourself is exactly what is it alternative to. It's alternative to a "natural" or "normal" lifestyle and because the gay lifestyle is so un-natural and abnormal when compared to the natural and normal lifestyle those who practice it are forced to use terms like "diversity" and so on.

To be more pointed there was, in Washington, a "horse ranch" that catered to gay people. The media interviewed many of these people who participated in zoo sex (that's what they called it) and found that many of the people who thought they were gay were more drawn to have sex with animals then they had been drawn to have sex with other men (same with the wemon). There was an actual loby group that attempted to prevent WA State from making inappropriate behavior with animals against the law and the argument they had was that inappropriate behavior with animals was an "alternative lifestyle". David Letterman and Jay Leno were making fun of that when it was going. Trust me, if State Law continues to support same sex buggery some idiot in wearing clerics will marry a man to a sheep or a woman to a dog so I say we just drive these abnormal and un-natural lifestyles back into the closet where they belong.

diverse said:
very different or distinct

In otherwords, if the vast majority of people throughout the history of the world believed that marriage was between a man and a woman and the NORMAL lifestyle of humans is that a man and woman come together and start a family and for the most part STAY TOGETHER then this is a lifestyle. Something that "differs" from this majority lifestyle is DIVERSE, un-natural or ABNORMAL compared to the natural order of things and since it's not people we are talking about here (it's the lifestyle choice of the people NOT the people) alternative must be compared to what's natural. Because inappropriate behavior with animals is also a lifestyle that is divergent from the normal lifestyle who are you or anyone to say that beast rights should not be granted if both parties like it and the person is "drawn to it".

Kissme said:

A) Cain killing able and attempting to "lie about it". That's about as clear of an example right out of the gate I can think.

B) People don't "hide" and generally are not embarassed to eat anchovies (people who eat them don't eat them in the closet) so we can reject that logic with ease.

Kissme said:

Is it normal or natural for people to jump off a cliff or bridge? People kill themselves but it's understood that when people do this they are, at that time, mentally ill.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums