sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Poor persecuted Christians

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ashers-bakery-found-guilty-of-discrimination-1.2218032

Christian-owned Ashers Bakery which refused to make a cake carrying a pro gay marriage slogan has been found guilty of discrimination after a landmark legal action at Belfast County Court.

Judge Isobel Brownlie returned a verdict on Tuesday morning in favour of gay rights advocate Gareth Lee and the North’s Equality Commission in the so-called Bert and Ernie gay cake case.

Ashers, which has six shops employing up to 80 people, was prosecuted for refusing to bake a cake with a slogan stating “Support Gay Marriage”. It was also to feature the Sesame Street puppets, Bert and Ernie, with their arms around one another.

Or are they?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...they-could-not-write-pro-gay-slogan-1.2155800

Karen McArthur, a director of Ashers, said she took the initial order and money from Mr Lee in May last year because she did want to have a scene in the shop. “I did not want to embarrass him or have a confrontation in the bakery,” she said.

She realised from the outset, however, that she could not fulfil the order. “I knew in my heart that I could not put that message on the cake,” she told the court.

After consulting with her family she phoned Mr Lee 48 hours later to say she could not carry out the order. Mr Lee was reimbursed.

“The problem was with the message on the cake because, as a Christian, I do not support gay marriage,” said Ms McArthur.

Hmm so she knew at the time she was taking the order (and the money) that she would not make the cake. Seems to me the moral high ground was totally lost.

BTW I did not find this cruising the net. I go to one other site, a cycling board that has a politics and religion section. That is where I saw it.

I also found it interesting that these principled Christians seem to have no problems with violating a copyright! A bit ironic to me as that would have been a pretty good out.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Poor persecuted Christians

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ashers-bakery-found-guilty-of-discrimination-1.2218032

Or are they?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...they-could-not-write-pro-gay-slogan-1.2155800

Hmm so she knew at the time she was taking the order (and the money) that she would not make the cake. Seems to me the moral high ground was totally lost.

BTW I did not find this cruising the net. I go to one other site, a cycling board that has a politics and religion section. That is where I saw it.

I also found it interesting that these principled Christians seem to have no problems with violating a copyright! A bit ironic to me as that would have been a pretty good out.

If only they'd been Muslims, they'd have no problem. Well, if it was in the USA, that is.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If only they'd been Muslims, they'd have no problem. Well, if it was in the USA, that is.

Please show evidence that Muslims have had complaints filed against them and gotten away with it.

Are Bert and Ernie gay icons?

There have long been "rumors" that they were a gay couple.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I honestly didn't know there was such a rule. I'm glad you made me aware.

If exists there is inappropriate content of it, no exceptions. Never forget it but also never google it.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If exists there is inappropriate content of it, no exceptions. Never forget it but also never google it.

Indeed. I did google Rule 34 to find that definition, but didn't go further than that. I have no interest in Burt/Ernie or other such "fan fiction"

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Indeed. I did google Rule 34 to find that definition, but didn't go further than that.

Yeah, really don't want to toss that one into the image search.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I Christians do not want to make a cake or do any other sort of buissness with gays, simply raise the cost and add a violation of morals fee, $50,000-$100,00 should be enough to make them go away.

Where would that even be legal?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I Christians do not want to make a cake or do any other sort of buissness with gays, simply raise the cost and add a violation of morals fee, $50,000-$100,00 should be enough to make them go away.

I see no way that would run afoul of anti-discrimination law. Go forth and implement it.

(I am not a lawyer, I enjoy seeing people hoisted by their own petards, I do not have your best interests at heart.)

Reactions: kybela
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

It will be interesting when you get slapped with a "violation of law" fee because I'm almost certain that imposing a fee on a specific group of people counts as discrimination. If sexual orientation is a protected status in your area, then that would be illegal discrimination.

Reactions: kybela
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's not imposing a fee on a certain group of people, it is a fee for going against ones morals.

You specifically noted gays in your post. How else did you expect anyone to take what you said?

And so what if they get sued? Backing down to those bully's is not going to do anything but make the situation worse.

You mean don't allow people to get away with breaking the law because backing down to those bullies would just make the situation worse? I agree. We shouldn't allow a specific segment of the population to violate the law.

So what if they get sued? They are going to and they will lose, because they are breaking the law.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It's not imposing a fee on a certain group of people, it is a fee for going against ones morals. And so what if they get sued? Backing down to those bully's is not going to do anything but make the situation worse.

And just who is the bully? That would seem to be the Christians who freely entered into a contract and reneged on it.

Oh poor Christians being expected to honor their contracts.

Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0