the frugal revolutionary
Aug 22, 2005
✟4,376.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Adelheide said:
and there is no law that is kept from homosexuals of equal protection. They are equally as protected as we are. we are not disapproving of equal man made law to those people...we are disapproving of marriage to those people, because marriage is a God made thing not a man made thing. Homosexuals (as a group) don't wish to be recognized as married they just want the legal benifits of being married.

Just as a generation ago interracial couples didn’t want to REALLY be married they just wanted the tax breaks that marriage provides. And it was of course perfectly good and proper for Christians to oppose legal recognition of interracial marriages as "Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix."

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/loving.html

As for your dishonest claim that gays and lesbians are not discriminated against:

http://hrc.org/Template.cfm?Section=Get_Involved1&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=16168

Upvote 0

outlaw

the frugal revolutionary
Aug 22, 2005
✟4,376.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
MJ421 said:
Nipper, Hiede, ya'll do know that this isn't a religious debate. This is a legal one, that will eventually come before the Supreme Court one day. Religious conviction is not sufficient justification for a law.

So far, all of the amateur arguements presented so far are not legitamite basis for this discrimination.

Every moral and ethical code is devised by humans. You can believe in the divinity of the Bible, but that doesn't change the fact that it was penned by men. Which explains why "God's law" seems to mirror the customs and societal norms of the places and times in which it was written, and the opinions of the people who wrote them.

The belief that these people were somehow guided by God in their writing is an grandios, unsupported belief. That's how mythology gets started.
Those who choose to hate gays and lesbians and advocate discrimination against them MUST frame it in the context of a religious debate because if they did not then they would be no different from racists.

Upvote 0

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Dislike said:
How about the aguement that the soul has no gender? Or when cybernetics come into common usage and gender becomes wholly changable?

I don't think that gender is the topic. I think sex is. Gender is not simply biological (IE male gender have penises), that is sex. I can be sexually a male, but my gender can be female.

But you do bring up a good point.

Because derailing a thread is fun, let's go here.

If I'm born with ambigious genitals, and my parents do not decide to have me have surgery to give me the genitals of a boy or girl, what sex am I actually? Of course, I do have a sex, as I have a certain chromosone combo, but that is impossible to find out.

Let's say that I'm born with ambiguous genitalia, and my parents decide to have me be made into a girl. If it was the wrong decision and I am actually a boy, but have the genitals of a girl, would being with another girl make me straight, or gay?

Upvote 0

outlaw

the frugal revolutionary
Aug 22, 2005
✟4,376.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Adelheide said:
just because i say that every thing you say is rediculous and every thing you believe is bogus....and that i was inspired by God to write this very statement does in no way prove what i am saying. What makes you think that christians are so unaware of facts and proof? Just to let you know.....if you cannot prove or disprove a certain thing then you cannot condemn or dissmiss a certain thing and there fore scientifically must label the non-proven or non-disproven thing as being plausible.

that being said. NO ONE HAS DISPROVEN THE AUTHENTICITY OF THE BIBLE. people have had there theories and "explenations"....but no proof. And the proof that we have provided over the years gets twisted and some how explained away and forgotten....but never disproven.
No one has ever proven the authenticity of the bible either.

Upvote 0

beechy

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2005
✟12,390.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
LittleNipper said:
I could not agree more. I was just showing that what women, in that affair together, actually do is play at being with a man. Kind of like when a guy gets a sex "change." They rationalize their sin. That is the sad thing.
Where have you shown this? I am a woman in a relationship with another woman, and we "play" no such games.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Crusader05

Veteran
Jan 23, 2005
Omaha, NE
✟22,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here's an interesting item that demonstrates some of the problems with Biblical literalism in this context.

On her radio show recently, Dr Laura Schlesinger said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following response is an open letter to Dr. Laura, penned by a US resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. .... End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Law and how to follow them.

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?
2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.
4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?
5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2. The passage clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally Obligated to kill him myself?
6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?
7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?
8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?
9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy Considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan,

James M. Kauffman, Ed.D.
Professor Emeritus
Dept. of Curriculum, Instruction, and
Special Education
University of Virginia

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.