New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People get so worked up over the sex part of the equation so it's clouding their judgement.

There's no guarantee I would be exposed to chickenpox but I still got the vaccine. If there was an AIDS vaccine, that should be given too. Who cares whether it's given to a child? If it prevents a person from contracting a deadly disease then I'm all for it.

Oh I'm all for it too, but Chicken Pox, which most of the time is a mild and less than dangerous disease is transmitted easily, and there are enough complications to merit it a place on the "required" vaccine list.

I'm in your camp on preventing disease.. plus the public health cost of sexually transmitted diseases is significant enough to me that getting behind any vaccine that would reduce the risk to me makes sense. Some people figure they won't be touched by the costs if they stay "pure" I figure I love my kids enough not to want them to face illness or death over a momentary lapse in judgement, an assault by someone who is carrying disease or sex with a spouse who has failed to be tested and themselves hasn't been so "pure"

If there was an AIDS vaccine I wonder how many people would refuse to get it? Cause we'd be on line FAST.

Upvote 0

Ampoliros

I'm my own wireless hotspot
May 15, 2004
Mars - IN MY MIND!
✟9,685.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The difference is that the condom distribution is for those who want it. They can reject it. In Texas, Perry signed an executive order, not a law, requiring every 11 or 12 year old girl to be vaccinated, whether they or their parents agreed or not. Then it comes out that Merck, who makes the vaccination, was a heavy contributor to Perry's last gubernatorial campaign.

There is nothing wrong with the vaccine (as far as the research available goes). Most people have a problem with underage girls being forced to take it.

The vaccine was required, but parents could opt out if they so chose.

Link
Texas allows parents to opt out of inoculations by filing an affidavit objecting to the vaccine on religious or philosophical reasons....

The federal government approved Gardasil in June, and a government advisory panel has recommended that all girls get the shots at 11 and 12, before they are likely to be sexually active.

Upvote 0

BigToe

You are my itchy sweater.
Jun 24, 2003
Sudzo's Purple Palace of Snuggles
Visit site
✟35,932.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
But if someone doesn't have religious or philosophical reason they can't opt out? There are many reason people are upset that we (in Texas) are forcing 6th grade girls to get the vaccine starting in 08. First, the vaccine costs $360 right now. That's a pretty expensive cost for a lot of families. Especially if you have several daughters. Others think the testing done on the vaccine hasn't been extensive enough (especially in regards to the placebos used in the tests). That and they don't know if the vaccine works long term yet or not. It just hasn't been around long enough for those tests to have even been able to take place.

Upvote 0

onzaga

Aug 6, 2004
new orleans
✟7,678.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i'm all for mandatory vaccines under certain conditions.first i only just heard of this vaccine in the past couple years,so before my child is forced to have it i would like a more comprehensive public awareness program to let me know a bit more about it. and once that is done and i'm a bit more comfortable,how long has it been tested?side effects?etc.if after its proven to me to be what it is being marketed as and not just the latest in marketing,then i would hope it is made available at a very very reasonable price.i find it pretty hard now a days to trust pharm companies/doctors they sell to.seems like every few years everyone gets the new cure all prescription.our mothers were on valium we are on xanex.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Keep making the vaccine, but schools should not require
vacines that aren't preventitive for school time activities. And if kids are having sex in class, theres a problem.

My daughters will probably get the vaccine(if insurance covers it) but mandating it is not right.

Advertising the vaccine,great.
making the vaccine cheaper, great.
Mandating it prior to getting into school: wrong.
$1000 for 3 doses of vaccine? Rediculis.

Upvote 0