Game Review: Max Payne 2

ThePhoenix

Aug 12, 2003
✟5,476.00
Faith
Christian
Great, but short. The graphics are superb, the gameplay is smooth, and the enemies are intelligent. The storyline is brilliant, often feeling more like a book then a typical game storyline. Not for people who dislike language, or moral ambiguity.

Basically Max Payne is almost a comic book in game form - and not superman, a real "graphic novel" (gah that's pretentious). You really need to play Max Payne 1 to understand the second, and it's very argueable which is the better game.

Upvote 0
B

BillJohnson

I found the story line boring because it wasn't dark enough for me. The first one involved drug addicts who were binging on Valkyr which made them violent and would cause them to kill for pleasure. Its story is nothing like the first Max Payne which involved Max coming home to his family who was murdered by drug addicts. The characters aren't that interesting but I enjoyed the rag doll physics and the superb graphics. The LSD like nightmares have a cool wall melting effect which will cause flashbacks if you have ingested LSD.(Yes I'm guilty)

The rag doll physics are cool because a model will fall properly down a stairwell and won't land with their head clipping through a wall. All the objects in the game have their own weight and behavior. No longer are rooms built by the level designers with furniture that appears to be bolted to the ground. Now Max Payne wades into a room like an action hero, kicking over chairs or knocking boxes aside. I found that you could take cover behind boxes and eventually have an enemy shoot one of the boxes over and blow your cover. The use of moveable objects cluttering the buildings you fight in adds a new element to gaming because they can become obstacles if they are knocked over by explosions or gunfire. The use of the Havok physics engine made this game fun to play and almost every new game has implemented a physics engine. Max Payne 2 is just a remarkable production, and what it lacks in length or volume it more than makes up for in quality and density.

Max Payne 2 lacks replay value and it isn't very long but it is definitely worth playing. I give it an 8.0/10.0

Upvote 0