USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some people want "edge of the seat" action on every episode. I think Sunday's episode was good for what it was intended to be.......setting the stage for the final battle.
I found little issue as well.....but there are always those who look for the coffee in the backgrounds.

But it did seem a bit rushed......why couldnt we see the sisters reaction to the news? How did mesandei get captured and all the ships destroyed? Why didnt the dragons see the ambush? Why were Sam and the Free folk and the wolf written off in such fashion.....

Not the best episode......but still enjoyable.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
For some reason it's all about the Iron Throne, it wasn't the dead but the living that stood in the way of the rightful heirs. It's not going to be settled by dragons, that much is clear. I'm not sure what they have in store for us but the intrigue centers on who controls that throne. I reminds me of the Lord of the Rings, one to control them all, and at the end of the thing it was never about a ring, it was always about a guy.

• Agree
Reactions: A Realist
Upvote 0

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I gotta say, the final outcome of all this did indeed "break the wheel".

I think I can safely say that very few, if any, viewers (except for those looking at spoilers) predicted this. I enjoyed it for the specific reason that it flew in the face of all GoT super-fans and "experts" expectations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,559.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In a word, disappointing. More specific gripes:

Tyrion and Jaime have awfully warm relations, considering Tyrion killed their father. I thought that was supposed to be a bridge-burner for them.

Why did the Army of the Dead leave Melisandre alone?
Atrocious tactics in Winterfell's defense.
While I appreciate that the Night King wasn't going to let Jon stand in the way of him and Bran, there still should have been some sort of a fight between them that respected the seasons of foreshadowing between the two.
Sansa and Tyrion were hiding from wights behind a tomb which somehow didn't have a wight breaking out of it to kill them?
Arya is stupidly overpowered.
The Night King's defeat came too quick in the season.

Gendry forgot that he doesn't have a last name, and he used the wrong bastard surname for where he was from in any event.
How did the Hound know about Ramsay's rape of Sansa?
How did Tyrion AND Danerys both forget about the Iron Fleet? The same fleet that wrecked their plans to bring the Reachmen and the Dornish into the war?
For that matter, when Danerys and her forces were away, why didn't Cersei take Dragonstone? She had the ships, the men, and the time to make that happen. That way, when the ambush happened, she would have had soldiers on the island to take Tyrion, Grey Worm, and Varys prisoner. Yes, Danerys could have burned the castle - but it would have been her own castle, and it would have demoralized her much more than the simple ambush. And she would have lost key personnel. Yes, she would have attacked the fleet and the city, but Cersei is banking on the hundreds of scorpions anyway, and these would be ready.

Oh, so we now have Dothraki again. OK.
Jon arrived and was somehow allowed to go to Dragonstone unmolested by the Iron Fleet?
Jamie was somehow allowed allowed to go to Dragonstone unmolested by the Iron Fleet which he mentioned specifically to Tyrion?
So, it was easy to take out one dragon with dozens of scorpions, but you can't take out the other one with those dozens plus hundreds more?
The Golden Company apparently provides no major obstacle, despite the buildup. They shouldn't have gone outside the city walls.
There should have been more of Captain Strickland. And he should have been wearing a helmet.
There was literally no reason for Danerys to burn the civilians on the way to the Red Keep. Forget the woman who chose to fight the Dead and liked being "Mhysa." It made no sense at all.
Cleganebowl was another missed opportunity. The Hound should not have been able to stab through Gregor's plate, or parry the now-stronger Gregor's sword or take the hand-to-hand punishment he dished out, or even see after the eye-gouge.
The Jamie and Cersei death scene would have been easier to take if there had been something written in to explain how it somehow didn't contradict the Maggy the Frog prophesy.

The Dothraki essentially disappeared after Danerys's speech. No mention of them at the Small Council at all. Thousands of elite riders who made mincemeat out of a Westerosi army last season with a culture of raiding and pillaging and who now have no leader is a bit of a problem.
Zero buildup to Arya's exploratory plans. Even better, since we have Bran's abilities, shouldn't he be able to see what's west of Westeros?
How was it that Jon was allowed past the Wall at Castle Black? Did he even take his vows again?
Why was there no explicit mention of Samwell being released from the Night's Watch? And if he is getting an official pass for starting a family?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tyrion and Jaime have awfully warm relations, considering Tyrion killed their father. I thought that was supposed to be a bridge-burner for them.
Neither Tyrion nor Jaime had a warm relationship with their father. Tyrion was the Imp ... and Jaime was the simpleton. I don't remember any particular grief from Jaime over his father's death ...

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't remember any particular grief from Jaime over his father's death ...
When there was a secret meeting arranged by Bron and Tyrion, there was noticeable grief....Jaime even threatened to kill him...... But it was clear that he loved his brother more than his father.... But he was noticeably not happy with his murder.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Arya is stupidly overpowered.

I thought the opposite.....She seemed weaker and more timid than she had ever been...... she wasnt fearless anymore and needed saving a few times. and no more changing faces. The only talent she held unto was the ability to sneak up on people.

So, it was easy to take out one dragon with dozens of scorpions, but you can't take out the other one with those dozens plus hundreds more?

I thought it was very strategic to have the dragon fly from the direction of the sun......The ship were not able to see it or adjust to it's direction. And the Scorpions could go only so high and are difficult to move. They should not have been able to kill either one of the dragons......The killing of the first was more unbelievable than the non-killing of the second.

There was literally no reason for Danerys to burn the civilians on the way to the Red Keep.

This scene shows which side the coin toss landed.....the one flipped when she was born..... She became the mad queen and needed to be put down just like her Father was......and she was....in the same place and manner in which her father was.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,559.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Neither Tyrion nor Jaime had a warm relationship with their father. Tyrion was the Imp ... and Jaime was the simpleton. I don't remember any particular grief from Jaime over his father's death ...
Jamie told Bronn that he would kill Tyrion the next time he saw him, on their way to Dorne. That inexplicably evaporated. I would think that Tyrion would have more guilt about what happened to glibly bring up how he wished Tywin was still alive, too.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,559.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I thought the opposite.....
She seemed weaker and more timid than she had ever been...... she wasnt fearless anymore and needed saving a few times. and no more changing faces. The only talent she held unto was the ability to sneak up on people.
That was an insanely far horizontal leap to get to the Night King.

Also:
I thought it was very strategic to have the dragon fly from the direction of the sun......The ship were not able to see it or adjust to it's direction. And the Scorpions could go only so high and are difficult to move. They should not have been able to kill either one of the dragons......The killing of the first was more unbelievable than the non-killing of the second.

This scene shows which side the coin toss landed.....the one flipped when she was born..... She became the mad queen and needed to be put down just like her Father was......and she was....in the same place and manner in which her father was.
I appreciated the tactic of the dragon flying in ahead of the sun as well, that was done right. I think the Mad Queen ending would have been much more palatable if instead of the one dragon being picked off in the ambush, she has both dragons attack the Iron Fleet and King's Landing when the time comes for that, and one of the dragons dies due to sheer volume of fire from the scorpions. Less suspension of disbelief needed, and more rage in the moment for Dany. Still, we need more buildup to the madness than 6 episodes afforded. We had 7 seasons of a severe, yet compassionate person in her, and in the space of two episodes she chucks the compassion. The character deserved better treatment than that.

Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jamie told Bronn that he would kill Tyrion the next time he saw him, on their way to Dorne. That inexplicably evaporated. I would think that Tyrion would have more guilt about what happened to glibly bring up how he wished Tywin was still alive, too.
At that point, Jaime believed that Tyrion had killed Joffrey. Later he came to know better ...

When did Tyrion wish Tywinn was alive again ?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,559.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
At that point, Jaime believed that Tyrion had killed Joffrey. Later he came to know better ...

When did Tyrion wish Tywinn was alive again ?
1) But he cited the killing of Tywin specifically, not the killing of Joffrey.
2) At the end of S8E2 in front of the hearth.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1) But he cited the killing of Tywin specifically, not the killing of Joffrey.
2) At the end of S8E2 in front of the hearth.
1) A lot had happened since Tywin died. Jaime had, pretty obviously, switched allegiences. His views had come to align with Tyrion's ... more than with Cersei's.

2) Yes ... I happened to see the scene you're referring to in a recap clip. What Tyrion said ... is that he wished Tywin was here to see he and Jaime working together ... to save Winterfell ...

Upvote 0