Galaxy Rotation Problem and YEC

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Presumably he wanted it to be spiral patterns because that is the way he created them, he just didn't create them with enough mass to hold together. Which is odd, if you think Adam was supposed to live forever in the perfect universe God created.
Where does God say that he created things to be perfect? Secondly please further explain how point A attaches to point B here.
Don't get me wrong, the bible doesn't say God created everything perfect. It is however a very common Creationist belief, one AnswersInHovind seem to share, that crops up very regularly as part of their no death before the fall argument. What I was showing is how creationist arguments contradict each other. AiH's response is was the instability of the galaxies does not matter if they only needed to be around for a few thousand years of young earth, but this leaves out another creationist idea that Adam and Eve and all the animals and plants were supposed to live forever in Eden, they were not created for a just few thousand years.

On the issue of "dark matter" i have to go with Dr. Hartnett on that one:
Has ‘dark matter’ really been proven?

Clarifying the clamour of claims from colliding clusters

by John Hartnett
8 September 2006

Recently, a paper claimed that direct empirical proof of the existence of ‘dark matter’ has been finally found.1 This has been dutifully repeated in the more popular media. 2 It is claimed that this demolishes the criticisms of ‘dark matter sceptics’ (myself among them) who claim that the whole dark matter scenario is the result of incorrect physics being applied to the dynamics of astronomical bodies.
What was found?

4626bulletcluster.jpg
Source: NASA / CXC / CIA / STSci / Magellan / Univ. of Ariz. / ESO.

Clowe, Bradac and co-authors claimed that the Bullet cluster (1E0657-558) at a redshift of 0.296 is a unique merger of two clusters, and that new analysis just accepted for publication in Astrophysical Journal Letters has ‘…enable[d] a direct detection of dark matter,…’
This topic has been in the news and on several websites over the past few days. The arguments all hinge on Clowe, Bradac et al.’s interpretation of the gravitational lensing evidence. That is, whether the correct physics has been applied to these visible arcs seen in and around galaxies in the two Bullet sub-clusters. The usual interpretation is that it is gravitational lensing,3 and a reconstruction allows one to correctly locate the dark matter.4
Is it really dark matter?

They claim ‘direct proof’. That seems to be stretching things a bit, to put it mildly, given the many assumptions and interpretations necessarily involved (see this explanation of some of the logic of proof in general). In this case they were out to disprove some alternate gravity theories that purport to explain the anomalies which cause others to postulate ‘dark matter’. Those theories made predictions, and according to the analysis being discussed here, the researchers have found data that contradicts those theories. However, a recent paper claims that this is mistaken, namely that at least one of those same theories can explain the ‘lensing’ that is observed in this cluster.5
Even if we were to grant them the disproof, though, it is not a proof nevertheless. Let’s be clear here: “dark matter” is not an explanation for what we see; it’s an admission that no one has an explanation. Perhaps a more accurate headline would have been, ‘Scientists have proved that they haven’t got a clue what the universe is made of’, rather than, ‘Dark matter revealed’.6 Because it isn’t revealed. But if you give a name to an admission of gross ignorance—‘dark matter’, ‘dark energy’—then you may eventually believe you have explained something!
The main problem I see hinges on where the x-ray-emitting gas is. The shock heating from the collision of the clusters might well bias the mass calculations for the normal matter. The determination of the mass from x-ray emission is linked to the assumption of hydrostatic equilibrium,7 and the equation used to calculate the location of the mass is the collisionless Boltzmann equation. But by the authors’ own admission, the system is not in equilibrium. Also, they claim one cluster passed through another,8 so the x-ray gases are heated to hundreds of millions of degrees, hardly collisionless. That is why it was named the Bullet cluster. There is a clear picture9 of the x-ray emission shaped like a bow shock wave. The article says:
‘The cluster is also known as the bullet cluster, because it contains a spectacular bullet-shaped cloud of hundred-million-degree gas. The X-ray image shows the bullet shape is due to a wind produced by the high-speed collision of a smaller cluster with a larger one.’​
start_quote.gif
… if you give a name to an admission of gross ignorance—
‘dark matter’, ‘dark energy’—then you may eventually believe you have explained something!
end_quote.gif

They argue that the separate methods (gravitational lensing, and x-ray emissions) allow the authors to separate where the normal matter is from where the dark matter is. But still, many assumptions have been applied which may be wrong. So I suggest that the location of the mass is still in question.
Claims of ‘direct proof’ of dark matter have been made before, and have fizzled.10 Considering that we live in a part of the galaxy that is meant to be dominated with the stuff and is allegedly six or seven times more concentrated than normal matter, i.e. all around us, what is it? Some claim it comprises heavy neutrinos. If standard neutrinos, there would need to be about 10 billion times the amount of the normal matter made from protons and neutrons. Hence the need to look for a massive neutrino. But there are supposed to only be about 20 particles per cubic centimetre! It seems more than prudent to adopt a ‘wait and see’ approach on this alleged ‘proof’.
Another question that might be asked is: if gravitational lensing is correct in the Bullet cluster, why don’t we see it in the CMB?11 After all, cosmic microwave radiation is supposed to come from the background of all the galaxies (supposedly containing putative dark matter) in the visible universe and therefore should be lensed by foreground galaxies—but it isn’t.
I believe we need to apply Occam’s razor.12 We should be wary of claiming the existence of anything where ad hoc assumptions are introduced to the norm, resulting in a complex system of more components than are really necessary. I suggest that dark matter, dark energy, inflation, etc are such items, ones on which history will ultimately pass unfavourable judgement.
Dark matter—vital for big bang believers

But why all the fuss? A lot has to do with ‘big bang belief’. It seems that dark matter is necessary to prop-up the failing paradigm of the Friedmann cosmologies commonly believed by many to describe not only the structure but also the true (‘big bang’) beginning of the universe. The many well-qualified critics of the big bang have rightly lambasted dark matter and dark energy as ‘hypothetical entities’ or ‘fudge factors’ (see Secular scientists blast the big bang, which cites An Open Letter to the Scientific Community published in New Scientist). However, to get the theory to work, a universe comprising 22% dark matter is an absolute must. Therefore it has become now an all-out battle to prove that the dark matter sceptics (like me), who dispute the existence of the stuff, are wrong.

Has ‘dark matter’ really been proven?
Seems to be arguing Dark Matter and Modified Gravity are debating the evidence of the bullet cluster, therefore science hasn't got a clue, therefore creationism is right. Doesn't actually follow.

What Carmeli [the alternative to dark matter given further down the creation.com article] has done is produce another explanation, alongside dark matter and modified gravity, trying to reconcile the mass of galaxies with their rotational velocities. This is a new kid on the block in Cosmology and it will be interesting to see if it gains acceptance as other cosmologist work with the idea and try to apply it to different areas, or look for flaws. The relevance to this discussion is that if Carmeli is right it explains the rotation of galaxies and contradicts AiH's argument that galaxies would have fallen apart if the universe was old.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Creation Scientists agree that God operates in the realm of natural Science as well. For example, he created the physical principles of the universe. Not sure where you were going with this argument.
If you are saying God's involvement with nature was just to create the physical principle of the universe, then that is deism. However if you see God's involvement as going much deeper, that he works through natural processes as well as just creating them, that we can pray for our daily bread which God providentially answers rather than simply creating wheat 6000 years ago, if we can say God formed me in my mother womb, rather than simple creating Adam and Eve able to reproduce, then that is theism.

We disagree that things naturally occur on their own without divine intervention in fact. We also disagree that Science is operating in a motion that is necessary for Evolution to occur. Instead of upwards mutations, we see in the few beneficial mutations that we observe as well....a decrease of genetic information that leads to a decrease of function. This is tantamount to a refutation of the process of Evolution, which needs upward mutations in order to operate.
Does human reproduction occur naturally? Does wheat grow naturally? The issue behind the deism/theism discussion is whether we can look at natural processes like evolution and see the hand of God at work, that God can create through natural processes as well as supernaturally. The problem creationists have is they say evolution is a natural process so it cannot be God, in doing so they remove God from working in the universe and end up in deism. In fact I think most Creationists are deeply theist and assume God works providentially, that they pray for good weather, for their daily bread, or for a safe delivery of their unborn child, it is just that there is a massive disconnect between their relationship with God and their creationist arguments.

Beneficial mutations are a different argument, not that God couldn't work through evolution but that evolution itself can't work. Perhaps a discussion on beneficial mutations would be better in a new thread as we are getting pretty far off topic already.

Upvote 0

Kennesaw42

Shepherd's Crook, Roughly Hewn
Jan 5, 2011
Western USA
✟7,771.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I must say that I am impressed with the cordiality (some exceptions to the contrary notwithstanding) of the competing posters on this thread.

I am even more impressed that one man, namely Hamashiachagape, has the courage and hardihood to stand in the breach, virtually alone, against all these worthy opponents.

After reading the "Open Letter" referenced above, however, which even a non-scientist like myself can assimilate, I must additionally say that the Big Bang monopoly has become a scandalous example of how scientists are, when (monetary) push comes to (peer-pressure) shove, OFTEN so very far from following their loudly touted Law of Scientific Method whereby they supposedly "follow only where the evidence leads" and "eschew subjectivism and bias at all costs," yadayadayada. Their sanctimoniousness does get tedious.

If any of Hamashiachagape's detractors addressed this issue, I must have missed it.

Why does this matter? Why is it a big deal?

Well, because Creationists and ID people are constantly accused of practicing religion and not science. Isn't this the pot calling the kettle black?

Nevertheless, the general cordiality exhibited here is pretty impressive.

Upvote 0

philadiddle

Drumming circles around you
Dec 23, 2004
Canada
Visit site
✟4,522.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I must additionally say that the Big Bang monopoly has become a scandalous example of how scientists are, when (monetary) push comes to (peer-pressure) shove, OFTEN so very far from following their loudly touted Law of Scientific Method whereby they supposedly "follow only where the evidence leads" and "eschew subjectivism and bias at all costs," yadayadayada. Their sanctimoniousness does get tedious.
The big bang theory has monopolized astronomy because it is the only useful way to look at the universe. It explains the red shift, cosmic microwave background radiation, the speed of the galaxies moving away from us, etc. We can make predictions such as what we will see when a supernova occurs and the radiation hits a nearby "cloud" by using our model of the big bang and deep time. Creationism and ID serve no useful purpose in science, they only edify people's theological views.

In addition to distant starlight and the things mentioned above, everything we know about the universe tells us that it's old and expanding. Of course scientists are going to brush off someone who says otherwise. It would be like me walking into a geology course and saying "I know the earth is flat, and I have a mathmatical formula to prove it, which makes my view scientific!" I would be ignored and treated as an ignorant hack who doesn't understand the subject.

For working scientists, there is no issue with whether or not the big bang is true, it's just the details that need to be worked out. (And many of the details are already worked out.) In order to overturn a theory with as much data as the big bang, you would need a lot of original research and data to support your view. Creationism doesn't have that, they just stand there shaking their fingers saying "Nuh-uh". It would be nice to see a creationist organization open up a research lab instead of spending all of their money on museums and DVD series. But they won't do that, because then they would have to see first hand that their ideas don't fit with reality.

Upvote 0

iambeeman

Jul 14, 2010
south central Manitoba Canada
✟15,268.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did some quick reading and it seems that proponents of the big bang have the approach that anytime a legitimate problem is brought against it they simply say "that law of physics wouldn't apply". Seems to me if what you say is true, then it could readily be interpreted as the pot calling the kettle black.

Upvote 0

philadiddle

Dec 23, 2004
Canada
Visit site
✟4,522.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did some quick reading and it seems that proponents of the big bang have the approach that anytime a legitimate problem is brought against it they simply say "that law of physics wouldn't apply". Seems to me if what you say is true, then it could readily be interpreted as the pot calling the kettle black.
Can you give an example?

How does creationism treat all of the problems it has? I can give 3 examples:

1. Why do we see cosmic background radiation? How does creationism explain this? I can even give you some of the actual data.
1987MNRAS.226..655B Page 655
http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-preview.axd?code=l448017586080219&size=largest

2. We can see starlight from stars billions of lightyears away. This is discussed in the video I posted in this thread (post #60). How does creationism deal with this without melting the planet?

3. After supernova 1987a exploded it lit up a gas ring around it a couple years later, allowing us to confirm distances and the speed of light. Here is an article in simple terms and a peer reviewed article in technical terms. (note, you can click the pdf of the peer reviewed article to read the whole thing.)
Supernova yields cosmic yardstick - distance between Earth and the Large Magellanic Cloud | Science News | Find Articles at BNET
The Axisymmetric Ejecta of Supernova 1987A

It's probably puzzling for creationists to see data like this, because they are told that evolutionists just make stuff up. But the actual scientists who study this stuff (astronomers, not evolutionists) do real research with real data. I admit I have seen a few papers attempting this kind of depth from creationists, but when examined closely they just can't hold up to scrutiny. That's why creationist money gets funneled into advertising and promotion instead of real research, they know that they can't deal with the actual data.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kennesaw42

Shepherd's Crook, Roughly Hewn
Jan 5, 2011
Western USA
✟7,771.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
None of these are problems "creationists have." They are scientific questions that some scientists think they have the answers too but all are not in agreement on. There are oodles of problems for Big Bangers, some of which are rather lethal to the theory, as has been ably pointed out elsewhere on this thread.

For an anti-creationist to say that these are problems for creationists would be analogous to my saying that the problems of sin, guilt, and estrangement from God are problems for anti-creationists.

Randomly cited "raw data" might very well be puzzling to anyone not conversant in that field, whether creationist or anti-creationist, but so what? Such a line of argument is irrelevant to this discussion and proves only that its author is a keen student of astrophysics.

What does puzzle me, however, is the predilection of some anti-creationists to talk a lot about what creationists do or don't say, or do or don't do (usually claiming that they just don't do good science), but then sidestep the issue completely when the creationist points to problems with a theory (such as the BB) that other (non-creationist) scientists have cogently articulated.

Like it or not, just as there are (I would say quite insurmountable) problems for evolution at the microbiological and genetic levels, so there are problems with every materialistic cosmogony ever proposed, including, most emphatically including, the hallowed Big Bang. These problems, which are problems with the science as seen by other scientists, need to be honestly addressed without constantly resorting to the tired old side-stepping ploy of declaiming against creationists (or IDers, depending on the occasion).

Upvote 0

philadiddle

Dec 23, 2004
Canada
Visit site
✟4,522.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A link

HowStuffWorks "Problems with the Big Bang Theory"

As to the rest I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can. Tomorrow we have a baby!!!! (hopefully!?!?!)
It seems that they explain the alleged problems with the answers to them. You should read the links you google before posting them because they may not be what you think.

Looking forward to hearing how the creation model is useful when you get back to me tomorrow!

Upvote 0
A

AnswersInHovind

It seems that they explain the alleged problems with the answers to them. You should read the links you google before posting them because they may not be what you think.

Looking forward to hearing how the creation model is useful when you get back to me tomorrow!

You often link to that video series you did earlier in the thread and to Talk Origins. I see you are limited to the evobabble propaganda.

Your question about usefulness implies that the Big Bang has some life changing power to know. There is nothing that the Big Bang has produced for mankind except atheism. Believing the Biblical account of creation and trying to prove it is not about "being right", but about salvation... saving souls and reconciling people to God, but TE's seem more interested in reconciling themselves with Dawkins.

Upvote 0

philadiddle

Dec 23, 2004
Canada
Visit site
✟4,522.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
None of these are problems "creationists have." They are scientific questions that some scientists think they have the answers too but all are not in agreement on.
Yes, it is a problem to think that light traveled a distance of 13 billion light years in only 6,000 years.

There are oodles of problems for Big Bangers, some of which are rather lethal to the theory, as has been ably pointed out elsewhere on this thread.
Could you repeat your favorite?

Randomly cited "raw data" might very well be puzzling to anyone not conversant in that field, whether creationist or anti-creationist, but so what? Such a line of argument is irrelevant to this discussion and proves only that its author is a keen student of astrophysics.
Relevant raw data is a key part of a discussion of science, yet you completely side step it and rely on a clever use of words to divert the conversation from the actual issues raised.

Like it or not, just as there are (I would say quite insurmountable) problems for evolution at the microbiological and genetic levels, so there are problems with every materialistic cosmogony ever proposed, including, most emphatically including, the hallowed Big Bang. These problems, which are problems with the science as seen by other scientists, need to be honestly addressed without constantly resorting to the tired old side-stepping ploy of declaiming against creationists (or IDers, depending on the occasion).
You're still just dancing around words, lets look at some specifics. What are the specific problems that you have with the big bang?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

philadiddle

Dec 23, 2004
Canada
Visit site
✟4,522.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You often link to that video series you did earlier in the thread and to Talk Origins. I see you are limited to the evobabble propaganda.
Nice side step.

Your question about usefulness implies that the Big Bang has some life changing power to know.
How does useful mean life changing? I only point out that when studying frequencies from outer space we can only make sense of them with a big bang cosmology. If we gathered this data with a YEC perspective we would just have throw our hands up and say "I dunno, God just did it that way".

There is nothing that the Big Bang has produced for mankind except atheism.
Actually, most Christian apologists use science to show that the universe has a beginning and thus has a cause.

Believing the Biblical account of creation and trying to prove it is not about "being right", but about salvation... saving souls and reconciling people to God, but TE's seem more interested in reconciling themselves with Dawkins.
So it doesn't matter if biblical creation is right? As long as the salvation message is preached? That seems to be utilitarianism. Interesting that a Christian would take that stance.

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Some brief comments about creationists, scientists (of whom some are creationists), and the signatories of the Open Letter (of whom some are scientists, and presumably some are creationists).

I accept the conventional scientific explanations as our current best models of the scientific mechanisms that operated in the early universe. That is to say, I accept the Big Bang, and evolution; I think the jury's not quite in yet on abiogenesis. But unlike many others here who think the same way as me, I don't really have a problem with creationists per se.

If you want to believe that the universe and the earth are only a few thousand years old, that's fine. If you want to believe that all life was miraculously created, and almost all destroyed in a worldwide flood, no problem. People are entitled to believe what they want, especially if they are explicitly ignoring scientific data:

If the raw data is irrelevant to this discussion about cosmology, then I guess anything goes - fifteen billion years, ten thousand years, an infinite tower of tortoises, the cracking of a cosmic egg by a giant hammer. Without the raw data there's really no way (or need) to distinguish between any of these. Furthermore, it's not even a particularly consequential choice - nobody ever got sick from denying the Big Bang. So I can leave you as a young earth creationist with a clear conscience, as long as you don't mistrust the scientists enough to stick your fingers in a live power point. (And creationists don't, anyway.)

=========

But if you would tell me that there are scientific reasons to reject the Big Bang, then I am very interested in finding out what exactly those reasons are. And that's where my problems with most creationists are - not that they believe in a young earth, but that they mishandle scientific data and slander scientists in the process.

(Yes, believe it or not, the Ninth Commandment applies even against sanctimonious, greedy scoundrels like us!)

If there's any particular piece of scientific evidence you want to discuss, please feel free to bring it up. At the moment, all I've heard from you is:

None of these are problems "creationists have." They are scientific questions that some scientists think they have the answers too but all are not in agreement on. There are oodles of problems for Big Bangers, some of which are rather lethal to the theory, as has been ably pointed out elsewhere on this thread.

I'm not very sure what criteria you've applied to the scientific problems at hand to make that decision. Personally, I think it's the other way around - there are scientific questions in Big Bang theory that some scientists think they have the answers to, but not all are in agreement of; while there are oodles of problems for scientific YECs, some of which are rather lethal to the theory. But I suppose that's why I accept the Big Bang and you don't.

So if you want to bring up any particular issue, please do. But there's something you said that I can't quite leave unanswered:

After reading the "Open Letter" referenced above, however, which even a non-scientist like myself can assimilate, I must additionally say that the Big Bang monopoly has become a scandalous example of how scientists are, when (monetary) push comes to (peer-pressure) shove, OFTEN so very far from following their loudly touted Law of Scientific Method whereby they supposedly "follow only where the evidence leads" and "eschew subjectivism and bias at all costs," yadayadayada. Their sanctimoniousness does get tedious.

Some years back I listened to a series of online lectures about astronomy and cosmology here. It's a great course delivered by a professional astronomer at Yale, and all the audio, video and transcripts are publicly available - for free! But here's an interesting extended comment about the "scientific mafia" which is worth reading in full. (It starts with a student question: "Do people ever lie about what they're going to observe?")

I'll just quote two really important bits:
You're always looking for ways to trash other people's proposals, because you've got seven times more--in the case of the space telescope, you've got seven times more proposals than you can grant, of which only a small handful are not worth doing. And so, any opportunity you have to say, you know, these guys are bozos--you definitely take that opportunity, because otherwise you have way too many good proposals left over.
Just to put that into perspective: one-seventh of research proposals get granted. Of the remaining six-sevenths, say one-seventh are from steady state people (and that's probably grossly overestimated). If that's so, then five times more proposals are being rejected from Big Bangers than from the alternative cosmologists! To me there really isn't any grounds for complaint - tough luck, we don't have enough money. And anyway, data from the big astronomical surveys is freely available, so that's plenty for the steady staters to start on. The other comment is:
Actually, the space telescope people did a very interesting thing. At one point they decided--I don't think they ever actually followed through on this--that 5%, or some small amount of the time--different scientific resources sometimes have this–that, like, 5% of the time goes for risky science. Science that's really weird, and probably won't work--but if it works, it's incredibly important because committees tend to not to want to do that. They tend to want to do the things that they know are going to produce some good result. And so, sometimes, the people who organize these things force the committees to have a little category of special, weird projects.

And then, of course, what happens? Five years later, they analyze, you know, where did all the good science come from? And if it didn't come from the weird projects, which is almost certainly the case--although not 100% certainly the case, but generally the case--then they say, look we've wasted 5% of our money, telescope time, whatever it is. We're going to close down this program. And then, you kind of have to start over again. So, how weird is weird? Difficult to say.
I think that speaks for itself.

=========

"Steady state people," you have heard me say. Why not creationists? Well, because the Open Letter was not initiated by creationists. The first signatory is Halton Arp, who is well-known for his research and catalog on quasars. And his influence shows in the language of the letter:
Yet the big bang is not the only framework available for understanding the history of the universe. Plasma cosmology and the steady-state model both hypothesize an evolving universe without beginning or end.
Now I don't know about you, but as a Christian I get disturbed when other Christians support this kind of thing. See, if you believe that God created the universe out of nothing (and I do), what would you expect it to look like from within that universe? Nothing, and then all of a sudden space and time and energy whoosh out of nowhere. I don't know about you, but that sounds awfully like a Big Bang to me.

That's why YECs generally like the Big Bang. Don't let their rhetoric fool you: they accept General Relativity, they generally accept that redshift is an accurate indicator of recessional velocity, and they generally accept Hubble's Law - which is really all you need to cobble together the theory of the Big Bang, their protestations notwithstanding. Indeed, since GR allows for the flow of time to change from place to place, the YEC's preferred solution is to stick with GR, but manipulate it so that you get the observed results in rapid time. Indeed, the Big Bang was first thought up by a Catholic priest.

Most scientists who oppose the Big Bang tend to replace it with some kind of steady state universe, without beginning or end. If anything, that's more atheistic than the Big Bang theory, isn't it? In the steady state model even the first three words of Genesis 1 are completely unreal. Be careful whose statements you read and trust: the enemy of your enemy is not necessarily your friend!

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2010
United States
Visit site
✟10,581.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Don't get me wrong, the bible doesn't say God created everything perfect. It is however a very common Creationist belief, one AnswersInHovind seem to share, that crops up very regularly as part of their no death before the fall argument. What I was showing is how creationist arguments contradict each other. AiH's response is was the instability of the galaxies does not matter if they only needed to be around for a few thousand years of young earth, but this leaves out another creationist idea that Adam and Eve and all the animals and plants were supposed to live forever in Eden, they were not created for a just few thousand years.

You want to point some of those guys out for me :). Wow, especially from the leading Creation Scientists..like those from Creation Ministries International would be especially beneficial. Do I also need to get into how many times Evolutionary Biologists disagree on simple matters, such as reptiles evolving into birds and the like? The Bible says God created very good.

Seems to be arguing Dark Matter and Modified Gravity are debating the evidence of the bullet cluster, therefore science hasn't got a clue, therefore creationism is right. Doesn't actually follow.

What Carmeli [the alternative to dark matter given further down the creation.com article] has done is produce another explanation, alongside dark matter and modified gravity, trying to reconcile the mass of galaxies with their rotational velocities. This is a new kid on the block in Cosmology and it will be interesting to see if it gains acceptance as other cosmologist work with the idea and try to apply it to different areas, or look for flaws. The relevance to this discussion is that if Carmeli is right it explains the rotation of galaxies and contradicts AiH's argument that galaxies would have fallen apart if the universe was old.[/

Upvote 0

Melethiel

Miserere mei, Domine
Site Supporter
Jun 8, 2005
Ohio
✟77,093.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing that the Big Bang has produced for mankind except atheism.

Actually, when the theory was first proposed, the prevailing view among scientists was that of a static, timeless universe. Many atheists rejected the theory at first because it made the view that there was a Creator too easy. But the evidence was overwhelming.

Upvote 0