Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Guess then what might a recommendation be for learning more on Eastern Orthodox?

"The Orthodox Church" by Timothy Ware was used in our inquirer's class. It's really good for an introduction.

Chesterton was a big influence on me to look into the original, ancient Church. In places, "Orthodoxy" is amazing; at the time I read it it was a mind-expanding experience for me.

Upvote 0

shawnavery

this space for rent
Sep 2, 2013
christiana PA
✟8,148.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"The Orthodox Church" by Timothy Ware was used in our inquirer's class. It's really good for an introduction.

Chesterton was a big influence on me to look into the original, ancient Church. In places, "Orthodoxy" is amazing; at the time I read it it was a mind-expanding experience for me.

Great thanks I'll check that out

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

shawnavery

this space for rent
Sep 2, 2013
christiana PA
✟8,148.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
that book has one that kinda goes with it called the Orthodox Way by the same author.

hope you stick around!

Thanks Looking into that too. Everyone has been great so far so Ill stick around gather some knowledge here as well :)

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Chesterton may not have been Orthodox (I'm sure he is now :)), but his books helped lead me into Orthodoxy, as did those of C.S. Lewis.

Lewis was influential for me. He didn't directly lead me to anything, but he planted many seeds which made it easier for me to come to terms with and transition into an "ancient christian" mindset.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do enjoy Lewis

While I have always been a Narnia buff, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed the "Out of the Silent Planet" trilogy. It's one of the most insightful works I've ever read.

Upvote 0

shawnavery

this space for rent
Sep 2, 2013
christiana PA
✟8,148.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
While I have always been a Narnia buff, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed the "Out of the Silent Planet" trilogy. It's one of the most insightful works I've ever read.

Actually thanks for reminding me ...I have those but have not read those as of yet.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually thanks for reminding me ...I have those but have not read those as of yet.

They're often mistaken for science fiction. They are not. They are theological, but take place largely off planet Earth.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's always a joy when someone discovers Chesterton.

And that's the thing. As one of the most complete thinkers that ever existed, he cannot be adequately described; he has to be discovered, to be encountered (kind of like the Church, eh?).

I know Dale Ahlquist has tried, on his site and in his books -introductions to Chesterton, but you just can't get your arms around this three hundred-pound giant. Even Lewis (whom I greatly admire) stands in his shadow.

The best first book of his to read probably IS "Orthodoxy" - except for any other of his books. :)

Upvote 0