United kingdom
✟10,061.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
My cousin was buried today, she was ill for some while and she found Christ the day before she passed away. At the graveside I picked up on the ministers words because he never specifically mentioned that she was in heaven, but repeated the words she said to him "I have found Christ".

I thought this very appropriate that he didn't overstate her spiritual state as he couldn't be entirely sure, and simply gave an account of what she revealed to him and left the decision making up to God.

Would you agree with the way the minister handled her funeral?

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Tyndale. I would have remembered and told the men and women, how Jesus told us more than one Parable, about the great Joy there was in Heaven, when one lost one was found. I am so very glad about your cousin finding Jesus, and it was not too late. I say this with humility and love, Tyndale. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

PujolsNonRoidHomerHitter

He's not a man! He's a machine!
Feb 8, 2008
Missouri
Visit site
✟23,090.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've preached gads of funerals. Some were known believers, others known unbelievers. Regardless, people want to hear that their loved one is in a 'better place'. If I don't know their spiritual state, then I refrain from gilding the lily too much. I agree with Simon, this is a great time to test a few doors and see if they're open to the gospel.

I remember preaching a 17 yr old girls funeral. She had been hit by a train. Horrible accident. She had just started coming to our church. She was dating a boy from the youth group. I saw no outward signs of her acknowledgement of Jesus. Her mother was in hysterics. She spefically asked me to talk about her daughter being in heaven. The casket was even opened back up at the grave side, which is an odd request in itself, and especially since the little girls face was all but gone. When I got to the end of the graveside message, the mother broke down . . . literally. It was the saddest thing I've ever seen. But I had great opportunities to share Jesus with her.

go cards

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.