Marital Status
Married
I've probably said some of the darndest things
myself, back when I was more fundamentalistic in
my views (*shudders*). They’re more likely to
be found over in Yahoo Groups, though.

What type of fundamentalist?

This type?:

“The twentieth century began with a tumultuous conservative uproar over the infiltration of numerous denominations by liberalism. The severity of the situation demanded immediate action. Heretical teachings were captivating and corrupting entire churches, schools and related organizations within multiplied denominations. Therefore, a coalition of interdenominational brethren, following a number of conferences, united around the five 'fundamentals' of the faith. They were:
1. The inspiration and inerrancy of Scripture
2. The deity of Jesus Christ
3. The virgin birth of Christ
4. The substitutionary, atoning work of Christ on the cross
5. The physical resurrection and the personal bodily return of Christ to the earth.

• “The adherents to these five 'fundamental' truths were naturally labeled 'fundamentalists.' Those opposing them were called 'liberals.'
  • “The men joining together around these five points (commonly called 'the doctrine of Christ') were from varied and diversified religious backgrounds. Thus, this amalgamation of 'first generation fundamentalists' included Presbyterians, Baptists, Reformers, Reformed Episcopalians, Lutherans, Methodists, Anglicans, Congregationalists, and Wesleyan Holiness brothers. The astounding thing about the members of this interdenominational movement was their love for one another.”
  • (Dr. Jack Van Impe, Heart Disease in Christ's Body, pp. 127-128).

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,242,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
What type of fundamentalist?

This type?:

“The twentieth century began with a tumultuous conservative uproar over the infiltration of numerous denominations by liberalism. The severity of the situation demanded immediate action. Heretical teachings were captivating and corrupting entire churches, schools and related organizations within multiplied denominations. Therefore, a coalition of interdenominational brethren, following a number of conferences, united around the five 'fundamentals' of the faith. They were:
1. The inspiration and inerrancy of Scripture
2. The deity of Jesus Christ
3. The virgin birth of Christ
4. The substitutionary, atoning work of Christ on the cross
5. The physical resurrection and the personal bodily return of Christ to the earth.
  • “The adherents to these five 'fundamental' truths were naturally labeled 'fundamentalists.' Those opposing them were called 'liberals.'
  • “The men joining together around these five points (commonly called 'the doctrine of Christ') were from varied and diversified religious backgrounds. Thus, this amalgamation of 'first generation fundamentalists' included Presbyterians, Baptists, Reformers, Reformed Episcopalians, Lutherans, Methodists, Anglicans, Congregationalists, and Wesleyan Holiness brothers. The astounding thing about the members of this interdenominational movement was their love for one another.”
  • (Dr. Jack Van Impe, Heart Disease in Christ's Body, pp. 127-128).
I was the above type, but the things I said as an
offshoot of that were less than diplomatic, if I recall
right. (I really have to double check on that.)

Let's just say that I don't think I could have been relied
upon to make the above brand of fundamentalism look
very good. And, I had an anti-Catholic streak, which
didn’t help.

-

Upvote 0

Aelred of Rievaulx

Nov 11, 2015
✟12,231.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The twentieth century began with a tumultuous conservative uproar over the infiltration of numerous denominations by liberalism.

Yes, much of this was painted in the context of imperial ideology attempting to control/rule universities. Don't paint liberals as the dominant voices here, they were rather radicals in many way.

The severity of the situation demanded immediate action. Heretical teachings were captivating and corrupting entire churches, schools and related organizations within multiplied denominations. Therefore, a coalition of interdenominational brethren, following a number of conferences, united around the five 'fundamentals' of the faith.

Yes, the creation of fundamentalism was basically a very conservative reaction to modernism in its many forms.

“The men joining together around these five points (commonly called 'the doctrine of Christ') were from varied and diversified religious backgrounds. Thus, this amalgamation of 'first generation fundamentalists' included Presbyterians, Baptists, Reformers, Reformed Episcopalians, Lutherans, Methodists, Anglicans, Congregationalists, and Wesleyan Holiness brothers. The astounding thing about the members of this interdenominational movement was their love for one another.”

If only fundamentalists would love the "sinners" as much as they loved themselves. Sadly they don't love science or historical and critical studies into scripture, they don't love those queer or those feminists or those not white interested in the religious texts and all it can offer them. Ah well, the fundamentalists aren't all that important anymore anyway. :p

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,794.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I use to follow Jerry Falwell as his Thomas Road Baptist Church is not far away. It seemed like whenever things got quiet and donations were down he would say something off the wall to get the focus back on his ministry...

"Now, further evidence that the creators of the series intend for Tinky Winky to be a gay role model have surfaced. He is purple -- the gay-pride color; and his antenna is shaped like a triangle -- the gay-pride symbol." - Jerry Falwell
Jerry%20Falwell%20with%20a%20Tinky%20Winky%20toy%5B7%5D.png

Upvote 0