Fundamentalism

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In addition to translational errors, the most obvious error is that Protestant Bibles left out 7 books.
That was not an error but a well-considered decision partially based upon the what the Catholic scholar Jerome had already established. And it was not a mere 7 books either. You could double that number. There were 14 books in the Apocrypha which were printed with the original KJV, but clearly separated from the two Testaments, and recognized as NON-CANONICAL. As to "translational errors", you should read "The Translators to the Reader" (Preface) in the original KJV, since it describes the errors and corruptions of the Catholic translations in some detail.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone,

I've been wondering this question as of late because I am genuinely concerned with those who hold to beliefs that contradict scripture. Can someone be a Christian yet reject doctrines like:
  • Biblical inspiration and the infallibility of scripture as a result of this
  • Virgin birth of Jesus
  • Belief that Christ's death was the atonement for sin
  • Bodily resurrection of Jesus
  • Historical reality of the miracles of Jesus
Is everyone who believes Jesus is the messiah a Christian with the Spirit of God living in them? Can we say those who believe unbiblical doctrines--like evolution, universalism, or that homosexuality is not sin--are actually saved? Where do we draw the line and say "this person is a born-again Child of God," and "this person is not"?

Obviously everyone who rejects Jesus is unsaved, but what about those who profess him yet distort and reject scripture? Can the Spirit of Truth be in a person who rejects the simple truths of Fundamentalism?

I'd appreciate any feedback.
Thanks!

First thank you for posting this. I know it is an older thread but just stumbled on it.

I think more precisely the 5 fundamentals (or 5 basic doctrines) of the Christian faith was a volume written primarily by R.A. Torrey:

1. The Deity of our Lord Jesus Christ (John 1:1; John 20:28; Hebrews 1:8-9).

2. The Virgin Birth (Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:23; Luke 1:27).

3. The Blood Atonement (Acts 20:28; Romans 3:25, 5:9; Ephesians 1:7; Hebrews 9:12-14).

4. The Bodily Resurrection (Luke 24:36-46; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, 15:14-15).

5. The inerrancy of the scriptures themselves (Psalms 12:6-7; Romans 15:4; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Peter 1:20).

I believe the above which you see in various formats were derived from the 12 volumes on Christian doctrine R.A. Torrey et al. published in the late 19th century.

The first 4 volumes of the work can be found at the below link (free).:

http://www.ntslibrary.com/PDF Books II/Torrey - The Fundamentals 1.pdf

Complete works can be found here:

https://www.blueletterbible.org/commentaries/torrey_ra/

If anyone is truly interested in weeding out the liberalism that crept in to Evangelical churches, reading Torrey is a must. He took on the 19th century heretical liberal theology which we see prominent again in the 21st century.

More here from theopedia:

http://www.theopedia.com/the-fundamentals

courtesy ping to @PeaceByJesus

Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
That was not an error but a well-considered decision partially based upon the what the Catholic scholar Jerome had already established.
Jerome is not the Church. Individual Catholics, even individual Bishops, may have opinions that are okay to have before dogma is defined, but end up being in error after dogma has been determined, as is the case with the ideas of the canon before it was decided by the Church. In the case of Jerome, he placed the seven in a section called Deuterocanonicals, which simply means second canon. We Catholics still refer to them by this name.

Here is EWTN's summary of the argument regarding the Deuterocanonicals:

"The Christian acceptance of the deuterocanonical books was logical because the deuterocanonicals were also included in the Septuagint, the Greek edition of the Old Testament which the apostles used to evangelize the world. Two thirds of the Old Testament quotations in the New are from the Septuagint. Yet the apostles nowhere told their converts to avoid seven books of it. Like the Jews all over the world who used the Septuagint, the early Christians accepted the books they found in it. They knew that the apostles would not mislead them and endanger their souls by putting false scriptures in their hands—especially without warning them against them."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
when god does a new thing.
This was probably a typo. But just in case it was not, when God is typed in all lower case letters, god, it refers to any god, such as pagan deities. To refer to the God of Abraham, it must have the first letter capitalized.

Upvote 0

Stillicidia

Revanche Flower
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2016
Mystic Meadows
✟11,021.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Constitution
This was probably a typo. But just in case it was not, when God is typed in all lower case letters, god, it refers to any god, such as pagan deities. To refer to the God of Abraham, it must have the first letter capitalized.

I held fundamentalists as Old Testament believers, which is improper. Thanks for your correction aswell.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,377.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Hello everyone,

I've been wondering this question as of late because I am genuinely concerned with those who hold to beliefs that contradict scripture. Can someone be a Christian yet reject doctrines like:
  • Biblical inspiration and the infallibility of scripture as a result of this
  • Virgin birth of Jesus
  • Belief that Christ's death was the atonement for sin
  • Bodily resurrection of Jesus
  • Historical reality of the miracles of Jesus
Is everyone who believes Jesus is the messiah a Christian with the Spirit of God living in them? Can we say those who believe unbiblical doctrines--like evolution, universalism, or that homosexuality is not sin--are actually saved? Where do we draw the line and say "this person is a born-again Child of God," and "this person is not"?

Obviously everyone who rejects Jesus is unsaved, but what about those who profess him yet distort and reject scripture? Can the Spirit of Truth be in a person who rejects the simple truths of Fundamentalism?

I'd appreciate any feedback.
Thanks!

It's a good question. Let's break it down. I think there are some dangers in rejecting things clearly taught in scripture. Some of the things could lead people a stray and preventing them from being saved. Things such as believing homosexuality is ok. Not necessarily for the one that my believe it, but for the one that practices it. Sinfulness is what keeps us out of salvation and some of those doctrines you,mentioned are not based upon sinful behavior.

But I do question whether one truly believes if you fail to believe in the death and resurrection of Jesus. But the bible tells us by their fruits we shall know them. Do they,profess Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior and do they serve him and him alone. So their actions proclaim their salvation. Do they live righteous lives striving to live for Christ. Do they believe that Jesus is the only way?

They may close their eyes or ears to things like the virgin birth or maybe believe that God created by evolution. But I don't see that as a requirement for salvation. At least don't know of scriptural support for such a belief. I Can Show scriptural support though for The other things I mentioned.

Upvote 0