Jul 11, 2006
Cedar Hill, MO
✟7,879.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I just got in trouble w/ my boss...

How do I tell them that work is NOT a priority for me?

I am a stay-at-home/ work-at-home mom. I have 3 boys, 3 dogs, my husband and a visiting Mother-in-law..

I sew for a company. In my home. I pick up work in the morning, and drop it off the next day.

Yesterday I picked up my work. And right now they're so slow that everything is stock.. They're putting it all back on the shelves..

Yesterday, worked for 4 hours then I had to take that scruffy dog to the Vet. In the city so it would be free. About an hour one way. It took 4 hours out of my day! And then I had to come home and cook dinner at 7pm. I was exhausted from the heat. And chose not to finish the batch of sewing. WHICH IS STOCK! Not a rush order.

I called them this morning, to tell them I wasn't driving up to drop off my work, cuz it wasn't finished..

They got mad at me, and said they wish they would have know I wasn't coming.. sigh. How the heck was I supposed to know I'd be gone to the vet for 3 hours. Now I feel guilty/bad cuz I didn't stay up til Midnight to finish the work...

Being a full time mom/wife, AND working 6-8 hours a day is hard to do... sigh. I'm sorry, but my family HAS to come first. They're all I got.

Venting is good for the soul! :thumbsup:

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I wouldn't worry about telling your boss what your personal priorities are, that would do no good. Your boss expects your #1 to be your work, and your family expects your #1 to be them.
Understandibly, you desire for your #1 to be your family and that means you will be sacrificing your work performance. Hopefully your boss can tolerate that.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Eye said:

Being a full time mom/wife, AND working 6-8 hours a day is hard to do... sigh. I'm sorry, but my family HAS to come first. They're all I got.

My prayers are with you. Vent away.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Eye said:

I am a stay-at-home/ work-at-home mom. I have 3 boys, 3 dogs, my husband and a visiting Mother-in-law..

I sew for a company. In my home. I pick up work in the morning, and drop it off the next day.

Yesterday I picked up my work. And right now they're so slow that everything is stock.. They're putting it all back on the shelves..

Yesterday, worked for 4 hours then I had to take that scruffy dog to the Vet. In the city so it would be free. About an hour one way. It took 4 hours out of my day! And then I had to come home and cook dinner at 7pm. I was exhausted from the heat. And chose not to finish the batch of sewing. WHICH IS STOCK! Not a rush order.

I called them this morning, to tell them I wasn't driving up to drop off my work, cuz it wasn't finished..

They got mad at me, and said they wish they would have know I wasn't coming.. sigh. How the heck was I supposed to know I'd be gone to the vet for 3 hours. Now I feel guilty/bad cuz I didn't stay up til Midnight to finish the work...

So is listening.

If the story above is accurate your empolyer is torque because you didn't call and tell him you would be late, not so much that you were late.

1st, 2nd or 3rd priority, you have to keep the people you have responsibilities to in the loop.

Pick up a phone next time and explain the situation. Anyone will work with you .

Upvote 0

lionroar0

Coffee drinker
Jul 10, 2004
✟20,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Eye said:

Family first. Your co-workers and boss are not going to take care of your family or of you for that matter should you fall ill.

Tell your boss what your priorities are. If he is not willing to work with you it may be time to move on.

Peace

Upvote 0

Eye

Jul 11, 2006
Cedar Hill, MO
✟7,879.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Cosmic Charlie said:
So is listening.

If the story above is accurate your empolyer is torque because you didn't call and tell him you would be late, not so much that you were late.

1st, 2nd or 3rd priority, you have to keep the people you have responsibilities to in the loop.

Pick up a phone next time and explain the situation. Anyone will work with you .

I agree Charlie! However, I didn't get home until 7pm. And the shop closes at 5pm. They don't get in until 8am.. I don't have their home numbers.. So what was I to do?

If it's so important, they need to let me call them at home.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.