Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Punk rock and studying the Church Fathers are two radically different pursuits, but Fr. Igor has gone from one to the other as part of the same search.

“I’ve always been attracted to being with people, enjoying their freedom and spontaneity. That’s why my buddies and I started playing in a punk rock band, because that’s what this music is. Playing guitar or drums, we were musically searching for something new, something that would inspire us, nourish us, but also simply satisfy us,” recalls Fr. Igor Seliščev, a Dominican currently living in the city of Khmelnytskyi, in Western Ukraine.

The road to faith​

Looking at the friar in the white habit, it’s hard to connect him with the young boy with long hair who used to meet with his friends in garages to seek escape from the grim reality of Donetsk, where he grew up, through punk rock.

Listening to him today as he hosts broadcasts on an internet radio station, looking at his photos with young people and the faithful who come to the youngest Dominican monastery in the world, it’s easy to forget that the front line is only a few hundred miles from here. And although the city itself is in Western Ukraine, Russian rockets have fallen here as well.

Continued below.