Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
He must have been referring to the third day after the day of crucifixion to be in line with Mark 8:31 and Luke 24:21.
Do you understand fulfillments? Adam was the son of God as was Yeshua. Adam was created on the 6th day as Yeshua was destroyed (killed) on that day. The Sabbath was kept on the 7th day. On the first day (the 8th day) creation began...Yeshua rose from death.

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟113,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't understand. Could you elaborate?
That would take a lengthy response which should probably be made into a new thread so that we do not end up hijacking this one. If you are interested, I will start a new thread and elaborate: but I would first like an affirmation from you because I would quote our previous posts in this thread for background, and I do not want anyone to think it is a call-out thread, (having quotes of your posts in the OP).

Let me know herein if you wish to do that, and I will start a new thread and simply call it by the passage in question, "Mattithyahu 12:40", (Matthew 12:40), and since it will have quotes of your posts in the OP you should get an alert pointing you to the new thread once I have posted it.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,764.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
There are those who believe the traditional Friday - Sunday death burial and resurrection of the LORD Jesus is not in keeping with scripture:

Matthew 12:39–40 (KJV)
39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Early Roman scholars concluded with the Friday - Sunday time frame based on their limited knowledge of the Jewish feasts beginning with a Sabbath. They mistook the reference to the Sabbath and preparation day in several verses to mean Friday (the 6th day of the week). And though the resurrection of the LORD had already taken place and was later discovered early on the first day of the week (Sunday), it was also their mistake in presuming the resurrection did not take place until early Sunday morning. They also did not take into account that early Sunday on the Hebrew calendar is Saturday night at sunset on the Roman calendar.

Some scholars since have adjusted their beliefs (in accord with a literal Sunday resurrection) that Jesus died on Thursday and rose on Sunday morning (three days and two nights).

What is more likely (I will say it like this, for the sake of argument) is the 10th of Nisan took place on a Saturday Sabbath that year (when the Pascal lamb was to be chosen) and when Jesus rode into Jerusalem on the foal of a donkey (traditional Palm Sunday... Palm Saturday Sabbath more than likely). Jesus kept what some refer to as Galilean (Passover) Seder on Tuesday night (early Wednesday in Hebrew). Galilean Seder helped with the over crowding in the Holy City, but it actually stemmed from a slight ambiguity in the instructions as to when to hold the Seder (for two feasts, the feast of unleavened bread 14 Nisan and the barely harvest 15 Nisan). Official Israel combined the two on 15 Nisan as they do to this day. Poor Jews and Jews from other lands who went up to Jerusalem often kept Galilean Seder.

This was a brilliant way on God's part to make it so the LORD Jesus and his disciples could keep Passover that year (Tuesday night), and for Yeshua Jesus to be crucified on the day the Pascal lamb was sacrificed (Wednesday), and for his burial to take place before the official Seder commenced (Wednesday night) ← early Thursday in Hebrew reckoning.

Wednesday night (1)

Thursday (1)

Thursday night (2)

Friday (2)

Friday night (3)

Saturday (3)

Three days three nights.

And Yeshua Jesus rose from the grave on 17 Nisan Saturday Sabbath (between the evenings) as Sunday began (sunset Saturday night) to be discovered by the women after that sunset.

Today is Wednesday.

Happy Galilean Passover.
I agree with your reasoning, but the sign was for those who pierced Him and who could have witnessed that event; today I treat that as a parable and what could I learn from it; had I been there would I have been for Him, like the thief on the cross or would I have denied Him three times?

Upvote 0

JohnD70X7

Feb 10, 2021
Southwest
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with your reasoning, but the sign was for those who pierced Him and who could have witnessed that event; today I treat that as a parable and what could I learn from it; had I been there would I have been for Him, like the thief on the cross or would I have denied Him three times?
I have no doubt the LORD places each one of us in history where we would be the most responsive to the Gospel.

Upvote 0