Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I looked at the Milennium Promise website--"what we do", "about us", the "milennium villages", etc., etc., etc. and did not see the words abortion or condoms mentioned one single time.

The "goals" aren't hot links.

Is any philanthropic organization in Africa automtically suspect if it doesn't call itself "Catholic Relief Services," or is there actually some proof?

Upvote 0

wiggsfly

Walking the tightrope of life
Nov 20, 2005
✟4,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I looked at the Milennium Promise website--"what we do", "about us", the "milennium villages", etc., etc., etc. and did not see the words abortion or condoms mentioned one single time.

The "goals" aren't hot links.

Is any philanthropic organization in Africa automtically suspect if it doesn't call itself "Catholic Relief Services," or is there actually some proof?

:amen::thumbsup:

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Seems that it is generally expected that orgainizations that are reported to help those with Aids/HIV, seek actual medical care for women and children, empower women or otherwise help suffering Africans give out condoms . And it seems that any organization that helps those suffering Africans but does NOT give out condoms or even if a well-known person (such as the Pope) speaks out about the fact that automatically giving out condoms does NOT solve the problem automatically is condemned by the liberal society.

I don't think that humanitarian aid to Africa has to be from the Catholic Relief Society. Although we rarely hear about it, you know that the humanitarian programs that Cindy McCain has been supporting (Operation Smile or the one offering food/medical care to those displaced in the Congo) don't belong to the Catholic Relief Society, of course it doesn't claim to help by simply giving out condoms.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No one has answered this question to my satisfaction.

I googled the words "milennium promise" and "abortion" and "condoms" and, other than some of the conservative Catholic e-zines most egregiously associated with yellow journalism and some blog and message board musings, those three words do not match up.

Because of this, it seems as if Lifesite, which is known for inaccuracy, is just promoting these imagined connections to discredit Jenkins.

It seems to me that the President of one of the most prestigious Catholic universities in the country would be astute enough to stay away from the type of organization Lifesite alleges Millenium Promise to be with a ten-foot pole.

Look at another former university President--Condoleeza Rice--so diplomatic and politically-correct that she bit her tongue and pushed the party line for what must have been the most difficult, trying years of her life.

Upvote 0

Mom2Alex

In Christ
Jul 19, 2008
+Diocese of Buffalo, NY
Visit site
✟9,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No one has answered this question to my satisfaction.

I googled the words "milennium promise" and "abortion" and "condoms" and, other than some of the conservative Catholic e-zines most egregiously associated with yellow journalism and some blog and message board musings, those three words do not match up.

Because of this, it seems as if Lifesite, which is known for inaccuracy, is just promoting these imagined connections to discredit Jenkins.

It seems to me that the President of one of the most prestigious Catholic universities in the country would be astute enough to stay away from the type of organization Lifesite alleges Millenium Promise to be with a ten-foot pole.

Look at another former university President--Condoleeza Rice--so diplomatic and politically-correct that she bit her tongue and pushed the party line for what must have been the most difficult, trying years of her life.

The links were provided in the blog entry, had you taken the time to read it.

Here, real big: http://www.millenniumvillages.org/docs/MVP_Handbook_complete_18jun08.pdf

http://www.millenniumvillages.org/docs/MVP_Handbook_complete_18jun08.pdfAbortion services: In countries where abortion is legal, safe abortion services in
controlled settings by skilled practitioners should be established. In villages with a
nearby district center with sound surgical capacity, these services can be referred.
However, in instances where no district center or alternate post for safe abortion
practices is accessible, abortion services can be offered at the village level,
provided that sufficient surgical capacity exists.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You can tell by his speech.

this whole thing was a set up to lure Catholics into their evil snare. I believe they have an agenda and it's to win Catholics over to the pro death side of the issue through Obama's flowery nonsensical speeches.

They are not innocent, they are intentional.

Lord have mercy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Catholic Answers had a thread on this. The verification provided checked out the last time I read it.

But why would this surprise anyone?

Father Jenkins is a mainstream Catholic. This is consistent with his Catholicism.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
By the way, these links can be found by typing in abortion on the Millenium site. No need to brush up on your google techniques.

Humble pie eaten yet?

Didn't think so. Somehow it is some Catholic right-wing nut's fault for everything. Yep.

There is no such thing as a Catholic right wing nut. if you are not right wing- you aren't really Catholic and i am not meaning political right and left-- I'm referring to theological right and left.

small Church but pure Church... new spring time.

Upvote 0

Mom2Alex

In Christ
Jul 19, 2008
+Diocese of Buffalo, NY
Visit site
✟9,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is no such thing as a Catholic right wing nut. if you are not right wing- you aren't really Catholic and i am not meaning political right and left-- I'm referring to theological right and left.

small Church but pure Church... new spring time.

Yeah, I know that - you know that - but does Fantine et. al. know that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Did it ever occur to any of you that perhaps Fr. Jenkins agreed to be on the board of Milennium Promise because he believed that he could be an influence for good there?

Do you think that it is possible that, due to Fr. Jenkin's influence, Milennium Promise may fund abortions at lower levels, or provide more abstinence education?

If I wanted to influence a wealthy charitable foundation, I think that I might be more effective I could gain a seat on the Board of Directors than if I just showed up at their annual meeting with a baby carriage, a doll, and a bottle of ketchup.

Fr. Jenkins may be an extremely positive influence on this organization. I hope he is.

Upvote 0

Mom2Alex

In Christ
Jul 19, 2008
+Diocese of Buffalo, NY
Visit site
✟9,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Did it ever occur to any of you that perhaps Fr. Jenkins agreed to be on the board of Milennium Promise because he believed that he could be an influence for good there?

Do you think that it is possible that, due to Fr. Jenkin's influence, Milennium Promise may fund abortions at lower levels, or provide more abstinence education?

If I wanted to influence a wealthy charitable foundation, I think that I might be more effective I could gain a seat on the Board of Directors than if I just showed up at their annual meeting with a baby carriage, a doll, and a bottle of ketchup.

Fr. Jenkins may be an extremely positive influence on this organization. I hope he is.

No, it never occurred to me. Perhaps our Bishops should seek positions on the Planned Parenthood board of directors. Certainly there would be no cause for scandal in that.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.