Former New Atheist Ayaan Hirsi Ali Finds Redemption in Christianity: It’s ‘a Message of Love’

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,762,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A former member of the New Atheist movement who now considers herself a Christian said Saturday she regrets her role in that community and now believes the love and redemption found in Jesus is the true source of purpose. Ayaan Hirsi Ali, a research fellow for the Stanford University Hoover Institution, made the comments as she debated atheist Richard Dawkins as part of the Dissident Dialogues conference in New York. Hirsi Ali was previously considered a member of the New Atheist movement alongside authors such as Dawkins, Sam Harris, and Christopher Hitchens before she announced in a column last year she now considers herself a Christian.

On Saturday, she said she regrets conflating Christianity with Islam. Unherd covered the conference.

“I do regret doing that,” she said. “I’m guilty of having said all faiths, all perceptions of God are the same and are equally damaging, so … I have come to regret the damage that I’ve done.”

Christianity, she said, is an essential element of society.

Continued below.