Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(OSV News) — Thousands of Catholics are converging on St. Louis from Jan. 2 to Jan. 6 to adore Jesus Christ in the Blessed Sacrament, listen to talks about important topics and celebrate their faith at the SEEK23 Conference.

The annual SEEK conferences, hosted by the Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS), are for anyone interested in deepening their faith and spreading the Gospel — whether on college campuses or in their home parish. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this year is the first in-person national conference since 2019.

Many past attendees are looking forward again to this year’s SEEK conference.

“I grew up a cradle Catholic,” Javier Lugo, a 26-year-old FOCUS missionary at the University of Miami, told OSV News. “The faith was very, very important to me.”

When Lugo transferred from Keiser University Latin American Campus in Nicaragua to the University of Southern California as a sophomore, he “wanted to prioritize my faith,” he said. Lugo had heard about SEEK, and a campus missionary helped him get a scholarship to attend so finances would not be an impediment.

Growing up, Lugo said he had attended many “retiros” (retreats) — but nothing like the 2017 SEEK conference.

“A conference of this size is like a ‘retiro’ times a thousand,” he explained. With a smile, he recalled the Eucharistic adoration night — thousands of people praying on their knees and praising the Lord, as fragrant incense billowed through spotlights pointing to the monstrance on the altar — and how in that moment with Jesus in the Eucharist he felt “loved and wanted.”

Continued below.