For those who argue for the omnibenevolence of God…

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let me see if I can be clearer. All sin, at its root, is the rejection of God.
I know, that is what I have been saying. Rejection of God (truth) is evil and that gives birth to sin. James 1:15

You are making a distinction that I’m not making.
I know you are not making a distinction between sin and evil and that's the problem. If you see them as the same then the logical conclusion is that we are born evil and do deserve the lake of fire. The Cross is the solution for sin, the lake of fire is the solution for evil. Understanding the difference is essential to correct dissemination of the Gospel.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I know, that is what I have been saying. Rejection of God (truth) is evil and that gives birth to sin. James 1:15

I know you are not making a distinction between sin and evil and that's the problem. If you see them as the same then the logical conclusion is that we are born evil and do deserve the lake of fire. The Cross is the solution for sin, the lake of fire is the solution for evil. Understanding the difference is essential to correct dissemination of the Gospel.
I don’t see them as the same. Evil is a noun. Sin is a verb. It’s the evil depraved nature of man that causes him to reject God (sin).

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Sin can be both a noun as well as a verb. For example, "His sin weighed heavily on his mind."
I know. But for the sake of discussion, I’m using it as a verb since we are talking about actions.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Death hasn’t been defeated. People still die. Jesus will defeat death before His return, though. It’s the last enemy to go. (You might want to read a about 20 verses earlier in 1 Corinthians 15)
The question is not “have we stopped physically dying”, but is death bad for the Christian.

We are talking about: “The sting of death” which would be “bad” and not just death itself.

If death is “bad” than it would be right for you to fear death, so do you fear death?

Death is the way most Christians will transition to eternal life in heaven, so do you look forward to heaven?

Paul did not care if he lived or died, but for the sake of those he wanted to help on earth, he was willing to continue living.

1 Cor. 15:56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The question is not “have we stopped physically dying”, but is death bad for the Christian.

We are talking about: “The sting of death” which would be “bad” and not just death itself.

If death is “bad” than it would be right for you to fear death, so do you fear death?

Death is the way most Christians will transition to eternal life in heaven, so do you look forward to heaven?

Paul did not care if he lived or died, but for the sake of those he wanted to help on earth, he was willing to continue living.

1 Cor. 15:56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
You said death is not bad. Paul says death is an enemy of Christ, and will be His last enemy defeated.

I’m siding with Paul on this one.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You said death is not bad. Paul says death is an enemy of Christ, and will be His last enemy defeated.

As usual you do not answer my questions, but I will again address your questions:

Death will continue as long as sinning continues and thus is sadly tolerated.

Death is just biding its time, since it has lost the battle with Christ’s resurrection, but remains because of sin.

There is no “death angel” walking around, so it is not an entity enemy, but part of life here on earth, which dying can only be removed after the purpose of sin is removed.

Death has no hold on a Christian, so how is it bad for Christians?

Suppose humans did not die while on earth, would that help or hurt them with their need for humility?

Does death, help Christians in not choosing to sin while here on earth?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Ezekiel 18:32
For I have no pleasure in the death of one who dies,” says the Lord God. “Therefore turn and live!”

Ezekiel 33:11
Say to them: ‘As I live,’ says the Lord God, ‘I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn, turn from your evil ways! For why should you die, O house of Israel?’

There are some things we agree on. ;) :)

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ezekiel 18:32
For I have no pleasure in the death of one who dies,” says the Lord God. “Therefore turn and live!”

Ezekiel 33:11
Say to them: ‘As I live,’ says the Lord God, ‘I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn, turn from your evil ways! For why should you die, O house of Israel?’

There are some things we agree on. ;) :)
Prior to Christ being raised from the dead everyone including Jews feared death. Do you fear death?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Prior to Christ being raised from the dead everyone including Jews feared death. Do you fear death?
You have a category error. Just because we don’t fear death doesn’t mean that death is defeated.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You have a category error. Just because we don’t fear death doesn’t mean that death is defeated.
I am not talking about death needing to be stopped, from the beginning of our discussion on death it has been: "Is death bad for the Christian" the question was in Post 35: "Death is the way the saved get to go home to their rest and the lost quit doing bad stuff, so how is that "bad"?"
You said and repeated the idea that physical death is bad, but tell me how is it bad for you to die when God stops providing life to you?
Christ/God has not stopped humans on earth from physically dying, at least partly because we are still in need of sin while on earth and sinning requires the help of death to help us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,547.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
God commanded Jeremiah to not pray for the people. That violates what I’ve seen some argue as God being all-loving.
Would you argue that God is not loving, that he cares little for the people [of Israel]?

"Can a woman forget her infant, so as not to have pity on the son of her womb? and if she should forget, yet will not I forget thee." It is said by God that his love endures forever and is more enduring than that of a mother for her own children. This is a picture of love deeper than the author of the quote above suggests.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I am not talking about death needing to be stopped, from the beginning of our discussion on death it has been: "Is death bad for the Christian" the question was in Post 35: "Death is the way the saved get to go home to their rest and the lost quit doing bad stuff, so how is that "bad"?"
You said and repeated the idea that physical death is bad, but tell me how is it bad for you to die when God stops providing life to you?
Christ/God has not stopped humans on earth from physically dying, at least partly because we are still in need of sin while on earth and sinning requires the help of death to help us.
No, you asked if death was bad.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Would you argue that God is not loving, that he cares little for the people [of Israel]?

"Can a woman forget her infant, so as not to have pity on the son of her womb? and if she should forget, yet will not I forget thee." It is said by God that his love endures forever and is more enduring than that of a mother for her own children. This is a picture of love deeper than the author of the quote above suggests.
I would not argue that. It’s not even close to the subject of the OP.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No. I don't fear buses either, doesn't mean getting hit by one would be good for me.
That does not really equate, but would being hit by a bus and causing your physical death, allow you to join Christ and the thief by Christ on the cross in Paradice?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.