• I wear a different head covering.

• I used to wear one.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RoseofLima

I most often wear hats like the ones found here: www.modestworld.com

They are a little less threatening to those in my parish, and also stay on my head better. Little babies and toddlers love to play peek-a-boo with my mantillas...which made it sort of pointless to wear it in the first place.

I have a very nice straw hat for dress occassions. Occasionally, I will wear a mantilla if for some reason I forgot a hat. I leave my mantillas in my car, just in case.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
SeenAndUnseen said:
Nothing in Vatican 2 happened to change the requirement for women to cover their heads whenever in a church or before the Blessed Sacrament. Why this was thrown out I do not know, or by whom. It was certainly not by the authority of the Church.

I don't think it was "thrown out"--it wasn't something the Vatican even addressed. Wearing a mantilla or veil was simply custom--born of love, and it fell out of practice once people thought that Vatican II "changed" things. And yes, I used to wear a mantilla and normally I still DO in the presence of the Holy Eucharist. And the few times I am unable (for whatever reason) I ask my guardian angel to cover my head in Our Lord's honor.

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Megatherium said:
I don't recall ever seeing anyone wearing veils until a few months ago when I went to a Latin Mass. About half the women there were wearing some sort of head covering. Some were veils, but there were a lot of women wearing what looked to me like doilies pinned to their heads. Hopefully I'm not offending anyone, but it's the best description I have for them. What are these? While I'm not used to veils, they looked perfectly respectable to me, while the other things looked bizarre.

That's still a chapel veil. How in the world it originated, I'll never know. Technically it's a "covering", even though it doesn't cover much except the crown of the head.

Upvote 0

Look Homeward Anglican

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
United States
✟10,751.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
RoseofLima said:
The most recent Code of Canon Law has left head covering out as a requirement for women, so the requirement is no longer there. The history surrounding it all is a bit anecdotal, but there is nothing that says a woman can't cover her head if she chooses.

But it is indeed Church authority which has removed the requirement.

I have always wanted to see this, because it would make me feel a lot better about not veiling. Can you link me to the Church document that specifically relieves women of this requirement?

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

Well-- there isn't a document. You'd have to read the entire Code of Canon Law to see that the requirent isn't in there. Whenever a new Code is put forth- the old is aborgated--which means the new Code takes the place of the old, and only the new Code is binding on the faithful. If something previously mentioned is no longer mentioned- it is considered no longer binding.

Somewhere I have an article or two bookmarked, I'll dig around on my computer today and see if I can find it.

Upvote 0

Look Homeward Anglican

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
United States
✟10,751.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
RoseofLima said:
Well-- there isn't a document. You'd have to read the entire Code of Canon Law to see that the requirent isn't in there. Whenever a new Code is put forth- the old is aborgated--which means the new Code takes the place of the old, and only the new Code is binding on the faithful. If something previously mentioned is no longer mentioned- it is considered no longer binding.

Somewhere I have an article or two bookmarked, I'll dig around on my computer today and see if I can find it.

Thanks very much. This got me looking it all up again, and I think I found something here:
http://www.jimmyakin.org/2004/07/head_coverings_.html

At one time, there was a Canon that required women to cover their heads, but this article explains the 1983 Code of Canon Law explicitly abrogates the prior one.

So um...I guess I won't be terribly upsetting any archangels if I don't wear my veil then? ^_^ That's very good to know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Megatherium said:
This may have nothing to do with religion, but just be a change in society. Both men and women used to cover their heads all the time, though men would only wear their hats outside. Once people stopped covering their heads in general, they stopped doing so at church. Nothing changed for men in church since they weren't supposed to be wearing their hats in the first place.

This is probably true.:) But it still seems odd to me that a custom which had been around for about 2,000 years suddenly and abruptly disappears.:confused:

But I think you are right; somehow secular culture influenced this.

As a side note, in the "south" (USA) most black women - protestant - still wear hats and other head coverings to church, and wouldn't dream of going to church without something on their head. I don't know why this is, but it makes me think this must be influenced by culture.

Personally, I love hats and other head coverings.:) I hope they come back in style again!

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

SeenAndUnseen said:
Thanks very much. This got me looking it all up again, and I think I found something here:
http://www.jimmyakin.org/2004/07/head_coverings_.html

At one time, there was a Canon that required women to cover their heads, but this article explains the 1983 Code of Canon Law explicitly abrogates the prior one.

So um...I guess I won't be terribly upsetting any archangels if I don't wear my veil then? ^_^ That's very good to know.
Though - I would urge that if you feel convicted about it--to pray and be open that the Holy SPirit might be calling you to cover your head in the presence of the Eucharist.

Do you know why women originally covered their heads? It was becuase sacred vessels were veiled--the ark of the Covenant, the chalice, the tabernacle....and woman. Women were seen as sacred vessels....wow! When I think of it that way...it is an honor to cover my head. (Besdies- then I don't have to worry what my hair looks like for Mass :D)

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
RoseofLima said:
Though - I would urge that if you feel convicted about it--to pray and be open that the Holy SPirit might be calling you to cover your head in the presence of the Eucharist.

Do you know why women originally covered their heads? It was becuase sacred vessels were veiled--the ark of the Covenant, the chalice, the tabernacle....and woman. Women were seen as sacred vessels....wow! When I think of it that way...it is an honor to cover my head. (Besdies- then I don't have to worry what my hair looks like for Mass :D)
I didn't realize until we got our marriage convalidated, how highly women are revered according to Cathoilic theology. The priest who did it for us could not emphasize the role of a woman enough, he even said the woman (bride)--should be the main focus of the wedding day, second to Christ of course. But it ties into the Church being the bride of Christ. It's pretty awesome, really, when you think of God's design for women.

Michelle

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
R

RoseofLima

Miss Shelby said:
I didn't realize until we got our marriage convalidated, how highly women are revered according to Cathoilic theology. The priest who did it for us could not emphasize the role of a woman enough, he even said the woman (bride)--should be the main focus of the wedding day, second to Christ of course. But it ties into the Church being the bride of Christ. It's pretty awesome, really, when you think of God's design for women.

Michelle
That is awesome! I don't think I'd have been able to help elbowing my husband....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.