Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
As he stands there for the first time as Reader

Prayers for you :crosseo:

The first time is very very definitely the worst

UNTIL

You think you have prepared the Epistle and know what you are doing and for good pastoral reasons, as you get there , Father tells you - oh we are not taking that Epistle today we are taking xxxxx

You'll do fine -I know you will

Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Awwww! Anhelyna, sister, you're WAY too sweet! Thanks so much for starting this thread. I didn't want to start one myself because I felt my reading is pretty low on the food chain of prayer needs!

I think I'm ready to go:

Tone 1 Prokeimenon: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us * as we have set our hope on Thee.
Rejoice in the Lord, O you righteous! Praise befits the just!

Then read/chant the Epistle of Paul to Timothy 2 Timothy 3:10-15

10 You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, 11 persecutions, sufferings—what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them. 12 In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, 13 while evildoers and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.

Then the Allelujah:

God gives vengeance to me, and subdues people under me.

He magnifies the salvation of the king, and deals mercifully with His Christ, with David and his seed

Now if I can just not fall on my face coming down the steps holding that big, gold Bible or sound like Alfalfa, I should be ok! ^_^:p

Anhelyna, sister, thanks again for thinking of me!!!

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,063.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yup - I'll be doing that tomorrow too :)

I quite enjoy that Prokeimenon - it was one of the first I learnt.

You'll be fine - you'll be concentrating so hard that it will be over before you know what's hit you

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I SURVIVED!!! I did just fine, everybody. I had Father and Deacon giving me a pat on the back as I went out the doors of the iconostasis to read. My heart was doing a jack-hammer and my calves were shaking, but my voice was strong and had good cadence and consistency and volume. I took some folks' advice from TAW and prayed to St. Paul today before his icon asking him to help me to do justice to his epistle to Timothy! He helped!

Anyway, after the liturgy Father and Deacon and a bunch of people came up to me and told me how wonderful it was and that I really nailed it.

My next reading is March 1st!

I know it seems like small potatoes, this thread asking for prayers, but again I thank Anhelyna for starting it, for anyone's prayers who helped me out, it was all worthwhile! I'm excited, but bummed I have to WAIT A MONTH to read again!

Thanks again, brothers and sisters!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh my goodness, no! First of all, we have a deacon and he's joined at the hip with Father. They'd need surgery to detach the two! I've watched Deacon and the commitment he's made. He's 100% ALL IN to a degree I can't fathom. He makes that hour drive CONSTANTLY with Vespers and DL, but during Lent he makes it for every presanctified, matins, vespers, DL, you name it!

I can't fathom how he has any semblance of a life!

Plus the schedule and lack of time with his family and friends added with his job? No thanks! And our deacon, my godfather, is SO FRIENDLY AND HAPPY and upbeat amidst all this stress and exhaustion. Me? I'd be a grump! ^_^ I'd be like Deacon Walter Matthau!

It won't be long before I come on here and find out you are now a deacon. ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Lol Deacon Walter ...

Keep trying to post prayers for you, keep getting interrupted. At least I prayed them. Whatever possess an 18 year old to move furniture at 10pm ...

Congratulations, and glad it went well!

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The reading was great, but I didn't waste my time on the Superbowl this year. I could care less about Seattle and New England. I hate Seattle so much because I'm a 49ers fan!

I hope it went fine Gurney :)
Reading at DL then SuperBowl, what a Sunday am I right? :p

Upvote 0