For all those with children...

Swtsnshyn

Jan 24, 2004
East-Central Illinois
✟7,816.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I was 20 when we had our older daughter, 22 (two years and three days later) when we had our younger daughter, and 31 when we had our son. My husband was 21, 23, and 32.

As several have said, one is never really "prepared" (in their own minds) for children, and if one waits until they feel that they are, they will spend their whole life preparing.

Would we do anything differently? Well, as to the our ages, no. However, we have discussed what we would have done differently; :idea: we would have had more children. ;)

God Bless!!
Dawn
Shining brightly for Jesus

Upvote 0

Violet

living in marital bliss
Apr 14, 2004
Texas
✟8,730.00
Faith
Baptist
I had my daughter when I was a senior in high school. Although I regretted it then...I'm kind of glad it happened that way. I was headed in the wrong direction in high school (hanging w/a bad crowd, skipping classes). Getting prego forced me to focus on my future and clean up my life. I believe that if I had not had my daughter I would be on drugs w/abusive boyfriends or worse. Not saying I think having sex before marriage or having a baby out of wedlock is a good thing...I'm saying that it happened to me for a reason.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We had our eldest when I was 29, our second at 33 and our last at age 36. I might possibly go a little later, but not any earlier. Those years establishing a firm foundation for the marriage really paid off when parenting got tough. We were both some much more patient and understanding with each other and with our kids than we would have been in our 20s. Plus, I was more willing to make the commitment to focus on my kids for awhile, having had a life before I had kids, I had more confidence that there would be one after the kids were grown.

Upvote 0

retooferab

Disciple
Dec 22, 2003
✟843.00
Faith
Christian
I'm the most blessed man in the world... hehe.

I believe God is in control of all this, yet how old our parents are and what our birth order is makes a difference. Our oldest is 10 years older than our youngest, and I'm sure they are experiencing Mom and Dad quite differently. I know I am enjoying raising my youngest the most because I'm more mature and relaxed... having greater life experience and perspective. On the other hand, I'll be a little greyer as she grows, and my older boys will have had more of my young and vital years.

My advice? Let God! (My youngest was the only one conceived while I was praying for God's will to be done... for whatever that's worth!)

Upvote 0

4wheelerforChrist

Mar 2, 2004
Colorado
Visit site
✟145.00
Faith
Lutheran
After being Married for 4 Years we decided we would move up are plan on having kids and start sooner. We had 3 miscarriages before we had are first born. By are 5th wedding anniversary we had are first born. Which was are original plan. I was 35. The plan was to wait for about two years after that and then try and have are second one. But God had other plans. We got pregnant 10 Months after we had are first born. So I was and still am 36 when are second one arrived. Although my wife and I would say it isn't easy having kids only 19 months apart. I still wouldn't change a thing.

Steve

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoomer

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟12,330.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was 20 when my daughter was born, then 22 when my son was born. The only thing that I would do different would be finishing college. That's the only thing that I regret in my life. I love being a young mother, I still feel like a kid myself sometimes :).

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2004
✟153.00
Faith
Methodist
We were in college when baby #1 came along. I was 21. Sometimes, I look at what the people I went to grad school with are doing... Got to squash a little envy sometimes. I made different choices than the one's they've made. My children are treasures, and I'll take the joy that's here in front of me rather than mourn the joy that I might have had on a different path. So, no, I'd still have children early. Maybe they'll all be out of the house before I'm really old--if we ever stop having new ones!

Upvote 0