For a long timen I do not attend church services and my disbelief in God's help has grew big over the years.

F.E.A.R.

Emperor's Children
May 14, 2016
Warhammer 40K Universe
✟71,398.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
For more than 2 years I no longer attend church services, I lost my will and desire to attend. My disbelief and disappointment in God's help has grew ever more throughout these years, and it all started back in 2018. I expressed this and confessed that I do not believe in God's help, instead of getting better it's just worse, I rarely care about the poor and helpless ones, there's a God who can help them. I went to a confession a month ago, it was okay, I rarely visit a church, and if I go I just do it for a confession (although I didn't have a proper confession for more than half a year), but that's all and who knows when I'm going to do it again.

I envy the rich and it hurts me that although I'm doing my best (everything I can't) I still can't get what I want, despite praying it for years to get out of poverty, I pitty the ones that are way worse than me, because they don't deserve the situation they're in. For a long time whenever I give money to beggers, when they "God bless you" my reaction is just a fake smile, and inside me I'm "Ugh, had he wanted he would've helped me". Many times I confessed sitting in church alone that I cannot belive in the help of a God who keeps disappointing, had I been born rich I would've never begged nor prayed for help.

My friend told me that what if the devil is the one doing a lot of bad stuff in your life and not God? I said that the devil only tempts, but God is the one who operates stuff, so he is to be blamed.

Look I said, there are no longer young people in the church, for more than 15 years, just old people gathering, nobody wants to visit the church and worships God, and it's mostly because young people are disappointed or just simply do not belive in God.

It's also the reason why I'm no longer active here, I rarely have an interest to come and check here, the last thing I posted was my dream of Patriarch Pavle.

I used to believe a lot, had hope, that just vanished into thin air when I got broke years ago, and it just kept growing, had I not begged people to help me, I would've still never gotten some things in my life. The only thing I got from God was and is still silenece.

I cannot hope in a God who won't want to help, not just me or any other, for years I've stood on "until I see it I won't believe in it", until then my disappointment in God will just continue.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
For more than 2 years I no longer attend church services, I lost my will and desire to attend. My disbelief and disappointment in God's help has grew ever more throughout these years, and it all started back in 2018. I expressed this and confessed that I do not believe in God's help, instead of getting better it's just worse, I rarely care about the poor and helpless ones, there's a God who can help them. I went to a confession a month ago, it was okay, I rarely visit a church, and if I go I just do it for a confession (although I didn't have a proper confession for more than half a year), but that's all and who knows when I'm going to do it again.

I envy the rich and it hurts me that although I'm doing my best (everything I can't) I still can't get what I want, despite praying it for years to get out of poverty, I pitty the ones that are way worse than me, because they don't deserve the situation they're in. For a long time whenever I give money to beggers, when they "God bless you" my reaction is just a fake smile, and inside me I'm "Ugh, had he wanted he would've helped me". Many times I confessed sitting in church alone that I cannot belive in the help of a God who keeps disappointing, had I been born rich I would've never begged nor prayed for help.

My friend told me that what if the devil is the one doing a lot of bad stuff in your life and not God? I said that the devil only tempts, but God is the one who operates stuff, so he is to be blamed.

Look I said, there are no longer young people in the church, for more than 15 years, just old people gathering, nobody wants to visit the church and worships God, and it's mostly because young people are disappointed or just simply do not belive in God.

It's also the reason why I'm no longer active here, I rarely have an interest to come and check here, the last thing I posted was my dream of Patriarch Pavle.

I used to believe a lot, had hope, that just vanished into thin air when I got broke years ago, and it just kept growing, had I not begged people to help me, I would've still never gotten some things in my life. The only thing I got from God was and is still silenece.

I cannot hope in a God who won't want to help, not just me or any other, for years I've stood on "until I see it I won't believe in it", until then my disappointment in God will just continue.

Try not to let the bumps and bruises of life change your faith in God. Everyone goes through bad times. Think of the outcome on the day of judgment. Who will have accomplished the most? A rich person who has all the luxuries in life and maintains their faith, or someone who goes through hard times and maintains their faith through it all? Don't ever give up.

Upvote 0

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟84,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

First of all I am sorry you are going through a difficult situation, I pray God is merciful towards you, and lifts up heart that you might have a full faith and trust in Him, that He brings you closer to Him.

You say you do not attend Church because you believe God is not helping you. God allows both good and evil. Will you only worship Him when He allows good? How easy is to all of us worship Him, when God brings good, but God is worth of all our worship, no matter the situation. Good or bad, blessed is His name. I pray for you, that the Lord brings you back to church, back to worship.

God sees what we do not see, He sees all, and we see very little. He uses evil for His purposes, sometimes for judgement, sometimes for punishment, sometimes to discipline us. He tests our faith using difficulties. If your faith is failing, then it's good He allows difficulties so we see where our faith stands.

When God allowed satan to do evil to Job, God did not explain to Job why He allowed evil, rather He asked Job who he is to question Him. God created everything out of nothing just speaking the words. Who can explain it, or who was there to give Him wisdom, but we all question Him. We do not worship Him, we do not love Him but we constantly question Him, doesn't seem fair to me.

The only thing I got from God was and is still silenece.

But He does speak to you. He speaks through the Bible. He gives you life, He gives you breath, He gives you heart beat, food, drink, roof above your head. He gave His only Son for you. God always knew we would sin and yet out of love He chose to create us. He knew how much our salvation would cost Him, and yet He chose to die for us so we may be with Him forever. We constantly sin and yet He gave everything He has in order to save us. God did create this world without pain, suffering, death but we sinned, we rejected God and through sin everything bad came to this world. Yet He loves us so much He gave His Son so we never suffer again. Jesus Christ bore the wrath for our sin, He satisfied God's wrath, He paid the full price so we do not have to. God gave everything for your salvation, for us, sinners. He loves us perfectly despite of who we are, filthy sinners.

God spoke 2,000 years ago through His Son on the cross. And everyone who believes in Him, will have an eternal life. God loves you, if He did not, you would be in hell. But that does not mean He will behave the way you want Him to behave. He will not do things just because you want them to be done. He does not answer to any of us, but one day we will have to answer to Him. Many want to share in God's glory, but very few want to share in His suffering.

I pray you repent, I pray you fully trust and love Him

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
just because you don’t see His help, that doesn’t mean He isn’t helping

Upvote 0

F.E.A.R.

Emperor's Children
May 14, 2016
Warhammer 40K Universe
✟71,398.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Try not to let the bumps and bruises of life change your faith in God. Everyone goes through bad times. Think of the outcome on the day of judgment. Who will have accomplished the most? A rich person who has all the luxuries in life and maintains their faith, or someone who goes through hard times and maintains their faith through it all? Don't ever give up.
I don't see any point in it, I'm also too tired to continue.

Upvote 0

ValeriyK2022

Jun 13, 2022
Kyiv region
✟56,600.00
Country
Ukraine
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Giving advice is easier than doing it. Therefore, do not think that what I am about to write is easy for me to do myself. But some recipes actually work and give the desired result: tested many times!

The first thing you complain about is your lack of faith in or trust in God. If you had no faith at all, then you would not write on this forum and would not go to confession. So it's just not enough. Regarding faith, there are 2 pieces of advice in the Bible: 1) faith comes from hearing the word of God; 2) Faith without works is dead. To strengthen faith, one must carefully listen or read the word of God. I had a period when I was unemployed, but I was promised a very good job in a few months. How much I then read the Bible, and the saints, and commentaries, and illustrations! And what faith I had then! After that, it was not possible to achieve this anymore. But reading is not enough. We still have to do what faith tells us to do and make it a habit. Then you will feel the difference. The Holy Fathers advise first to do deeds of faith (mercy, helping others, and any good deeds for the sake of Christ), first without faith, and then faith will come imperceptibly and become very strong (if only you do it with the intention of pleasing God, and not for other reasons, for example, to receive praise).

Regarding confession, you should know that at confession and other sacraments the grace of the Holy Spirit is given, which strengthens faith and gives strength to fight sin and do good deeds for the sake of God. I had a period in my life when I had the opportunity to go to confession every week. You have no idea how you begin to see your sins and how much strength appears to fight them when you often confess.

God gives us the poor so that we have someone to show our mercy. After all, this is the easiest good deed - to give a little money to the poor. This good deed gives us grace. We need it even more than the poor.

About wealth. Jesus Christ was not rich. The apostles were not rich. Even Judas sold himself for 30 pieces of silver, which then equaled about 4 months of work for a day laborer. The supreme apostle Peter was a poor fisherman, and the apostle Paul repaired tents. They received their daily bread from God, but they never became rich on earth. In the Lives of the Saints of the Orthodox Church, almost none of the saints was rich. 99% of the saints were poor. Jesus Christ said that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. God wants to save both you and me, so neither you nor I are rich. In the ancient Patericon and "Paternik" by Ignaty Brianchaninov there is a story about Eulogius, who lived a holy life, and then became rich at the prayer of a monk. But as soon as he became rich, his temper changed for the worse and he almost perished for the kingdom of heaven. Then, through the prayer of the same monk, God took away his wealth, he again became poor and was saved. This is a heretical statement that God makes rich the one he loves. Jesus Christ himself did not even have a home. And all the apostles were poor.

I am over 45 years old and even it is very difficult for me to resist the information that comes through the media. Especially young people who do not have the experience to resist the hypnosis of the information space and are addicted to numerous bad examples when sin is made fashionable. It turns out a vicious circle: the Bible says that according to your faith it will be for you. Faith is lost: by the media and bad examples, and without faith, no one gains anything and loses faith even more.

God does what He wants and we cannot give Him ultimatums. Rather, on the contrary, we must start first: to live the way God wants us to. If we can hold out for a while, God will strengthen our faith and give us a sense of His presence in our lives. But we must start first.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

F.E.A.R.

Emperor's Children
May 14, 2016
Warhammer 40K Universe
✟71,398.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
yes, him. the guy from the OT. he suffered for years without knowing why he was suffering until the end.
I don't like the story, for a long time I realize what my friends in university wanted to say, at the time I didn't stood by their statements, nobody justified God's actions, even I don't justify it now. So no I'm not going to take it as an example, even though some have already said it to me before, I'm tired and I want what I want, not what God wants for me, I just want to lay down and do nothing my whole life, giving up on all things, there is no worth.

Upvote 0

F.E.A.R.

Emperor's Children
May 14, 2016
Warhammer 40K Universe
✟71,398.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Giving advice is easier than doing it. Therefore, do not think that what I am about to write is easy for me to do myself. But some recipes actually work and give the desired result: tested many times!

The first thing you complain about is your lack of faith in or trust in God. If you had no faith at all, then you would not write on this forum and would not go to confession. So it's just not enough. Regarding faith, there are 2 pieces of advice in the Bible: 1) faith comes from hearing the word of God; 2) Faith without works is dead. To strengthen faith, one must carefully listen or read the word of God. I had a period when I was unemployed, but I was promised a very good job in a few months. How much I then read the Bible, and the saints, and commentaries, and illustrations! And what faith I had then! After that, it was not possible to achieve this anymore. But reading is not enough. We still have to do what faith tells us to do and make it a habit. Then you will feel the difference. The Holy Fathers advise first to do deeds of faith (mercy, helping others, and any good deeds for the sake of Christ), first without faith, and then faith will come imperceptibly and become very strong (if only you do it with the intention of pleasing God, and not for other reasons, for example, to receive praise).
I no longer want to strength my faith in God, neither am I required to do so on any obligation.
Regarding confession, you should know that at confession and other sacraments the grace of the Holy Spirit is given, which strengthens faith and gives strength to fight sin and do good deeds for the sake of God. I had a period in my life when I had the opportunity to go to confession every week. You have no idea how you begin to see your sins and how much strength appears to fight them when you often confess.
I didn't have a proper confession for 2 years, and I confessed a month ago, it was ok. I will confess in the future, right now I don't care about it because I was previously denied.
About wealth. Jesus Christ was not rich. The apostles were not rich. Even Judas sold himself for 30 pieces of silver, which then equaled about 4 months of work for a day laborer. The supreme apostle Peter was a poor fisherman, and the apostle Paul repaired tents. They received their daily bread from God, but they never became rich on earth. In the Lives of the Saints of the Orthodox Church, almost none of the saints was rich. 99% of the saints were poor. Jesus Christ said that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. God wants to save both you and me, so neither you nor I are rich. In the ancient Patericon and "Paternik" by Ignaty Brianchaninov there is a story about Eulogius, who lived a holy life, and then became rich at the prayer of a monk. But as soon as he became rich, his temper changed for the worse and he almost perished for the kingdom of heaven. Then, through the prayer of the same monk, God took away his wealth, he again became poor and was saved. This is a heretical statement that God makes rich the one he loves. Jesus Christ himself did not even have a home. And all the apostles were poor.
I grew up poor, and even now I am in a bad state, I know that Jesus wasn't rich nor the Apostles, but I don't care because that's never what I wanted in my life. Rich doesn't automatically make you evil and that you will get denied entracnce to heaven. Whether it is heretical or not God does certainly give people riches without praying even once in their life.
I am over 45 years old and even it is very difficult for me to resist the information that comes through the media. Especially young people who do not have the experience to resist the hypnosis of the information space and are addicted to numerous bad examples when sin is made fashionable. It turns out a vicious circle: the Bible says that according to your faith it will be for you. Faith is lost: by the media and bad examples, and without faith, no one gains anything and loses faith even more.
No I lost my faith because I didn't get to live a damn normal life, even a rich one, my parents are utterly stupid and did lots of bad things, I hate them from the bottom of my heart, I'm 25 and I've never been with a woman for God's sake, and I can't get a job that pays more than 1000€, I just have to survive. A few years ago the devil kept coming to me (I have a bunch of threads on it), that he will give me everything I want in return to worship him. I was thinking about it a long time, and no I didn't do it because I despise the devil, not that he cannot give me what I want.
God does what He wants and we cannot give Him ultimatums. Rather, on the contrary, we must start first: to live the way God wants us to. If we can hold out for a while, God will strengthen our faith and give us a sense of His presence in our lives. But we must start first.
I am not going to live the way God wants me to. I will not follow a God who didn't help me for years, nor am I obliged to do so. This is one of the many reasons young people don't want to turn to God, because some had a rough childhood, others grew up poor, some abuse and so on, ask them, and the answer you will get is "why should I belive and worship a God who wasn't there for me and still isn't "? do I want get married in my 20's, have a house and have a lot of money? Yes. Do I want to sleep around with a lot of girls? Yes! Do I care about losing my virginity out of marriage? No. Do I wanna do drugs? No I never wanted to. I care about the money, having stablility, sleeping with girls and later getting married. I do not care about strengthening my faith in God. I did what I had to do on my part over the years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ValeriyK2022

Jun 13, 2022
Kyiv region
✟56,600.00
Country
Ukraine
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I no longer want to strength my faith in God, neither am I required to do so on any obligatiob.

I didn't have a proper confession for 2 years, and I confessed a month ago, it was ok. I will confess in the future, right now I don't care about it because I was previously denied.

I grew up poor, and even now I am in a bad state, I know that Jesus wasn't rich nor the Apostles, but I don't care because that's never what I wanted in my life. Rich doesn't automatically make you evil and that you will get denied entracnce to heaven. Whether it is heretical or not God does certainly give people riches without praying even once in their life.

Ні, я втратив віру, тому що мені не вдалося жити до біса нормальним життям, навіть багатим, мої батьки зовсім дурні і зробили багато поганих вчинків, я ненавиджу їх від усього серця, мені 25 і Я ніколи не був із жінкою, заради Бога, і я не можу отримати роботу, яка платить більше 1000 євро, мені просто потрібно виживати. Кілька років тому диявол продовжував приходити до мене (у мене є купа ниток про це), що він дасть мені все, що я захочу, натомість я поклоняюся йому. Я довго думав про це, і ні, я не зробив цього, тому що я зневажаю диявола, а не тому, що він не може дати мені те, чого я хочу.

Я не буду жити так, як цього хоче Бог. Я не піду за Богом, який не допомагав мені роками, і я не зобов’язаний це робити. Це одна з багатьох причин, чому молоді люди не хочуть звертатися до Бога, тому що в одних було важке дитинство, інші виросли бідними, деякі жорстоко поводилися і так далі, запитайте їх, і ви отримаєте відповідь: «Чому я повинен вірити і поклонятися Богові, Якого не було зі мною і досі немає»? чи хочу я вийти заміж у свої 20 років, мати будинок і багато грошей? Так. Чи хочу я спати з багатьма дівчатами? Так! Чи переймаюся я втратою цноти поза шлюбом? Ні. Я хочу вживати наркотики? Ні, я ніколи не хотів. Я дбаю про гроші, про стабільність, про сон з дівчатами та одруження. Я не дбаю про зміцнення своєї віри в Бога. Протягом багатьох років я робив те, що мав робити зі свого боку.
:(

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't like the story, for a long time I realize what my friends in university wanted to say, at the time I didn't stood by their statements, nobody justified God's actions, even I don't justify it now. So no I'm not going to take it as an example, even though some have already said it to me before, I'm tired and I want what I want, not what God wants for me, I just want to lay down and do nothing my whole life, giving up on all things, there is no worth.
if that’s true, why come back to tell us this?

Reactions: ValeriyK2022
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just to share, and to know why young people do not want to follow and believe in God.
sorry, but why would you post on here to know why young people don’t want to follow God?

Reactions: ValeriyK2022
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh praise GOD glory to Jesus.. the Church is growing.. not to long ago me and my wife passed 4 Churches just blocks apart and they were packed.. SO MANY young people coming to Christ all over the world! China, Russia, Iran.. oh ITS SO WONDERFUL to see the sweet sweet holy Spirit move

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I had asked a priest I know for his advice for another Orthodox person. What he told me for that person might apply at least in part to the challenges you are facing. Hopefully this can be of some help ( in addition to what others have thoughtfully posted also).

Hi Ed,

This can be a long subject to deal with but I will try to keep it as short and clear as I can.

First, I have heard many Bishops and Theologians state simply tha God's will is solely to lead us to repentance and salvation. This is what He wants from us.

Second, to look at "God's will" as he is stating it is something we don't believe in--Predestination. God predestines us to marry someone or to have a certain vocation etc., whether we want it or like it or not. We don't believe that. If that were so then we run into the problem of sin and crime. Does God will us to commit adultery, to steal or kill for instance? If that were the case then we have an excuse to do whatever we want. Likewise, we can't blame God for our shortcomings such as saying it was God's will that I got a divorce or that my wife left me etc.

Finally, God does not want the death of a sinner, as scripture tells us, but that they should turn (repent for their sins) and live. As one of our Bishops clearly and simply stated, if we want salvation and eternal life we should live a life that is faithful to Christ's teaching and our Orthodox Faith. That's what God wants from us or we may say that is God's will for us.
So basically from what he said in this blurb, he is trying to do just that. In doing so, God will be with him in all that he does.

I hope that this was clear enough and that you were able to see the points I was trying to make. We have Free Will to make choices in our life. Not all will be the right choices. God is not to blame for these wrong choices: we are. That is why we need to repent for our sins, pick ourselves up and keep on trying to stay on the path to Salvation and Eternal Life. Put even simpler: Free Will vs Predestination. If God is "making us" do things as this person believes, it is not Free Will and we believe that God always allows us to exercise our Free Will. This, too, is His will for us. He can force us to do anything He wants us to do but He freely chooses to allow us to make our own choices with no force on His part.

Hope that helps.

Fr.

Upvote 0

F.E.A.R.

Emperor's Children
May 14, 2016
Warhammer 40K Universe
✟71,398.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
sorry, but why would you post on here to know why young people don’t want to follow God?
It's about me and I took young people as an example. Sure there are young people who attend church but they're in numbers, there are more old people and elderly than young, this is the case in all Orthodox Countries. The majority do not believe in God because of the reasons I gave, or some just simply do not believe, and as in the West, so is the East into sex, enjoying sex, drinking, drugs etc.

Upvote 0