Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When our special night at an upscale restaurant turned out all wrong but taught me what's right. Isn't everything an occasion for gratitude?

It was going to be a wonderful night! It was my sister’s birthday, and we had decided to go out to dinner at a very special restaurant.

Traffic was very heavy on the way there. But that didn’t bother any of us. We just knew that everything was going to be just perfect. We cruised into a nearby parking garage, and went into the beautiful, upscale restaurant designed with floor to ceiling glass windows overlooking the Providence River.

We checked in with the host, who informed us that the waitress we had requested was not available, and then led us to a table tucked in a corner next to the kitchen door — not the table we had asked for.

At that point, I was losing heart. But we took our seats, joined hands, and said grace. Twenty minutes later, our waiter arrived, took our order and disappeared.

Forty-five minutes later, the servers exited the kitchen and took the short walk to our table. I was served chicken marsala — instead of the steak I had ordered. My sister’s was baked stuffed shrimp — not steak. And my husband got cold poached salmon, not fish and chips.

Continued below.