✟150,555.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Leviathan is real.

Ditto for dragons, satyrs, unicorns, and behemoths.
You are welcome to demonstrate this. Show him.

I guess you cant, so its in the same realm like the non-existent Flat earth or the YEC. Real only in your head. Not in the objective physical reality we all live in.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,555.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Non-literal or figurative language is language that goes beyond the dictionary meaning of words or phrases – not. using words in their usual or most basic sense. • Writers use a lot of non-literal language to help readers better understand something or gain a more. detailed picture in their minds.
Great. Keep this in mind when reading about circles, seals, firmaments etc.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You are welcome to demonstrate this.

Thank you.

Show him.

He went extinct?

I guess you cant,

You guess correctly.

... so its in the same realm like the non-existent Flat earth or the YEC.

Or maybe the T. Rex, or the Dodo bird, or the Rocky Mountain locust, or the ...

Real only in your head.

They were here long before I ever was.

Not in the objective physical reality we all live in.

Why are you speaking present tense, when talking about [possibly] extinct animals?

Reactions: Apple Sky
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because it has nothing whatsoever to do with the Eucharist. It's simly you playing at, "hey, look over there!" No worky,
”Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst.“
‭‭John‬ ‭6‬:‭35‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

”This is the bread which comes down out of heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is My flesh.”“
‭‭John‬ ‭6‬:‭50‬-‭51‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

This has nothing to do with the Eucharist? Are you sure about that?

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,555.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He went extinct?
You are asking me? Isaiah says God will kill Him with a sword. So what do you ask?

Or maybe the T. Rex, or the Dodo bird, or the Rocky Mountain locust, or the ...
No, these were never biblical metaphors.

Why are you speaking present tense, when talking about [possibly] extinct animals?
Bible uses the future tense. Your speculation its extinct is not biblical. Bible does not say Leviathan will go extinct, it says it will be killed by God with a sword.

Extinction is a term non-existent in the Biblical mythology and Leviathan is a term non-existent in the real physical world. Be consistent. You cannot randomly pick what you like and glue it together. This is not Star Gate series.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phil G

Grafted In
Sep 11, 2012
✟20,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not my interpretation, these are Gods words, So your calling God a liar ?

Well I'd like to see where God states the earth is a globe orbiting the sun.......
Do you identify as God? Because only someone who identifies as God can seriously align their interpretation of metaphor as God's words!

I never said, nor will I ever say that the Bible states that the earth is a globe orbiting the sun. Neither does the Bible state that the earth is a flat stationary disc. The fact is that the Bible does not state anything about the earth's shape.

God says in Job 38:7 that the 'morning stars sang together'. Do you believe that the literal morning stars literally sang?

Jesus says in John 10:9 "I am the door". Do you believe that Jesus is saying He is a literal door?

He also says in John 15:5 that He is "the vine". Do you believe that Jesus is saying He is a literal vine?

Psalm 18:2 says "The Lord is my rock and my fortress". Is God a literal rock and fortress?

Do you believe these verses to be literal? They are far more definitive than your interpretations of the verses you quoted!

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Hebrew metaphor for eating someone's flesh meant to destroy that person. If you insist Christ was using the metaphorical understanding then He was telling His disciples to destroy Him.
With regards to the prohibition to consuming blood, it is because the life was in the blood. Christ tells us to drink His blood precisely because His life is in His blood.
Drinking blood, especially human blood was forbidden by Jewish law and eating human flesh was considered detestable which I believe is precisely why Jesus used this particular analogy. And I completely disagree with the metaphorical meaning that your applying here because it doesn’t fit the context of what He’s saying in the passage.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Look all you have to do is answer yes or no, you don’t have to explain anything, I’ll explain what it means. All you have to do is tell me was it intended to be taken literally?

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,598.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And I completely disagree with the metaphorical meaning that your applying here because it doesn’t fit the context of what He’s saying in the passage.
It is the only metaphorical meaning given in Scripture. If you insist Jesus is being metaphorical then that is the meaning understood by the Jews.
Anyway, what does any of this have to do with the OP? Stop hijacking this thread to promote your theology.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is the only metaphorical meaning given in Scripture. If you insist Jesus is being metaphorical then that is the meaning understood by the Jews.
Anyway, what does any of this have to do with the OP? Stop hijacking this thread to promote your theology.
I’m defending my position on this particular topic because I’ve been accused of being a hypocrite by not believing that the Eucharist is intended to be taken literally. The reason I’ve been accused of this is because I stated that others in this thread don’t actually believe what the Bible teaches in Genesis. I didn’t bring the Eucharist into the discussion but if I’m being accused of being a hypocrite in this thread then I’m going to defend my position in this thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Eating human flesh and drinking blood was forbidden according to Jewish law. The metaphorical meaning of what Jesus said was pertaining to receiving Him within us, that’s what gives us eternal life. The reason He chose this particular analogy was because He knew that the people who didn’t actually believe in Him would reject it and leave.

Upvote 0

Apple Sky

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2024
south wales
✟31,123.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God says in Job 38:7 that the 'morning stars sang together'. Do you believe that the literal morning stars literally sang?

Jesus says in John 10:9 "I am the door". Do you believe that Jesus is saying He is a literal door?

He also says in John 15:5 that He is "the vine". Do you believe that Jesus is saying He is a literal vine?

Psalm 18:2 says "The Lord is my rock and my fortress". Is God a literal rock and fortress?

Do you believe these verses to be literal? They are far more definitive than your interpretations of the verses you quoted!

No of course not, but like I said,

Non-literal or figurative language is language that goes beyond the dictionary meaning of words or phrases – not. using words in their usual or most basic sense. • Writers use a lot of non-literal language to help readers better understand something or gain a more. detailed picture in their minds.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you identify as God? Because only someone who identifies as God can seriously align their interpretation of metaphor as God's words!

I never said, nor will I ever say that the Bible states that the earth is a globe orbiting the sun. Neither does the Bible state that the earth is a flat stationary disc. The fact is that the Bible does not state anything about the earth's shape.

The morning stars are Jesus and satan.

”How you have fallen from heaven, O star of the morning, son of the dawn! You have been cut down to the earth, You who have weakened the nations! But you said in your heart, ‘I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God, And I will sit on the mount of assembly In the recesses of the north. I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.’ Nevertheless you will be thrust down to Sheol, To the recesses of the pit.“
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭14‬:‭12‬-‭15‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

”“I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.”“
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭22‬:‭16‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Upvote 0

Phil G

Grafted In
Sep 11, 2012
✟20,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No of course not, but like I said,

Now you change your rules to suit yourself. God is speaking in Job 38:7 and He says the morning stars sang together. If you are not taking this as literal, then you are doing just what I am, looking beyond the literal into the metaphorical. If you insinuate that I'm calling God a liar by doing so, then include yourself in that insinuation.

Jesus says He is both the door and the vine. If you don't take these clear unambiguous statements as literal, then again include yourself in your insinuation.

The problem is that 'what you said' is never consistent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phil G

Grafted In
Sep 11, 2012
✟20,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The morning stars are Jesus and satan.

”How you have fallen from heaven, O star of the morning, son of the dawn! You have been cut down to the earth, You who have weakened the nations! But you said in your heart, ‘I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God, And I will sit on the mount of assembly In the recesses of the north. I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.’ Nevertheless you will be thrust down to Sheol, To the recesses of the pit.“
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭14‬:‭12‬-‭15‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

”“I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.”“
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭22‬:‭16‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬
The point is the morning stars are metaphorical, not literal 'stars'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The point is the morning stars are metaphorical, not literal 'stars'
I see them more as nicknames. It seemed that your point was whether or not the actually sang together in which case they probably did.

Upvote 0

Phil G

Grafted In
Sep 11, 2012
✟20,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see them more as nicknames. It seemed that your point was whether or not the actually sang together in which case they probably did.
Regardless of how you view them, they are not literal stars. Or they are literal stars but did not literally sing. It has to be one or the other. This is my point.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Bible uses the future tense. Your speculation its extinct is not biblical. Bible does not say Leviathan will go extinct, it says it will be killed by God with a sword.

I like your approach to this subject.

Okay, let's go with Leviathan still alive and well on Planet Earth.

In that case, are you assuming that, just because it hasn't been seen recently, it no longer exists?

Do you think that's the proper way to approach this subject?

How do you know, for example, that somewhere on the earth, there are people who actually live their lives hunting and/or being terrorized by these things?

In the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind, I remember a scene where investigators went to a small town, where the townsfolk were going out regularly to watch a UFO land.

It had been landing nightly, or something like that; and was quite an attraction to the townspeople.

And if my memory serves me correctly, they were taking lawn chairs, sack lunches, and whatnot out there nightly to see their UFO show up.

Let's not put all of our eggs in academia's basket and assume because they haven't found Leviathan, Leviathan doesn't exist.

Remember the Loch Ness Monster?

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,555.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay, let's go with Leviathan still alive and well on Planet Earth. In that case, are you assuming that, just because it hasn't been seen recently, it no longer exists?
You go with Leviathan still alive in the seas and God killing it with a literal sword (or with God literally sitting on a literal circle of the Earth or with literal days in Genesis etc.).

I will not go with literal reading of mythology and symbolism, its nonsensical and not respecting the Bible.

Do you believe your thoughts and emotions are processed in kidneys?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You go with Leviathan still alive in the seas and God killing it with a literal sword ...

Anything wrong with that?

... or with God literally sitting on a literal circle of the Earth) ...

Earth has circles.

Ever heard of the equator? or the Arctic Circle? or the Bermuda ... okay ... skip that one.

... or with literal days in Genesis ...

Yup.

Depends on what cetera is being et.

I will not go with literal reading of mythology and symbolism,

Nor will I.

... its nonsensical and not respecting the Bible.

Or maybe just a mistake.

Let's not make a crime out of it.

Do you believe your thoughts and emotions are processed in kidneys?

No.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.