New Christian
Jul 7, 2011
✟15,191.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Finding a Church?
I have decided to visit a few churches before I join one. One of the things that I thought would be helpful in deciding where to join is to look at their beliefs or creed.
My thinking is that first of all, it must be Biblical and second that the love of Christ must shine in its members. I am a conservative at heart and thus a Baptist congregation might be a fitting choice. Problem is that there are various types of Baptists. Which are conservative and which are not? Is there any other ways of getting much needed clues about a church agenda than personally visiting them, knowing their creed, talking to a Pastor or perhaps checking out their websites?
I just took the church test here and was rated highest as "Southern Baptist"
▷ ▶Christian Denomination Selector SelectSmart.com free Religion personality test, selector quiz, matching, choose, compare.

johnwarner75

Jul 7, 2011
✟15,149.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Im for a similar back ground, Conservative evangelical, currently worship in a British Anglican assembly, but I have strong Open Baptist roots.

Go along to the church is question, and get a feel for it, if it’s a maybe then go back the next week. Look at the community spirit and how welcoming they are. And of course pray into it...

Upvote 0

Mr Dave

God Save The Queen!
Apr 2, 2010
Sheffield
✟25,710.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
It's great that you've decided to visit a few different ones, in spite of what you can glean about beliefs and practices you can never really know without visiting and seeing how you actually fit into the congregation. It sounds like you've done all you can really for now in whittling down to a few different churches. The church selector is good but of course is limited. The church I feel at home in and feel is the one God wants me in actually comes down at number 5 on the list (Lutheran comes out top and there aren't really any Lutheran churches in Britain so that doesn't help :D). Also, the results are based on your views on a select few questions now, so you may come to change your views the more you learn (you may not too).

All the best with the Church Search, do keep us informed. I'll pray that God helps guide you to the right congregation.

Upvote 0

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Grace Ann-

The Southern Baptist Church is an excellent denomination to work with. I have had experience with them and find them to be quite warm and friendly without their sacrificing any of the conservative teachings of Scripture.

There are three passages of Scripture that I call 'the litmus test' for deciding on a church home, irregardless of the denomination. They are:

Romans 3:19 to 5:10. This passages teaches that our salvation comes from our accepting the righteousness which God offers freely to those who ask it of him, with the sole prerequisite being a heartfelt faith in the work of Jesus Christ.

Galatians 5:16-26. This passage defines what the Christian mindset is to be. We are to trust in the leadership of the Holy Spirit to defend us from the acts of the sinful nature, including the emotions that culminate in sinful acts, while instilling in us the proper mindset (the fruit of the Spirit), without which we can never truly say and do what God wants of us.

Matthew 25:31-46. This is the 'feed the hungry' passage. Jesus Christ alleviated the suffering he saw around him, and told us that we are to do the same. Where we see those in distress our answer is not to practise piety, but rather practicality.

May God guide your journey.

Upvote 0