Liverpool
✟7,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Hello everyone, I'm a 19 year old female and very new to the Christian faith. I am visiting an evangelical church for the first time next Sunday.

I'm desperately searching for answers and I so badly want to believe in Christ. But my sinful mind has questions which is holding me back that I hope to be resolved here. I've been reading alot of things by Atheists lately and they almost convince me. I'm very frightened of Death and a deep dread follows me around wherever I go. Hence why I'm here. :)

1. An Atheist mentioned to me that the Romans were very good at keeping records, yet they have no records of Jesus Christ. Why not?

2. A lot of people say the bible contradicts itself. What are these so called contradictions and is there any explanation for them?

3. 40 different men wrote the bible from different backgrounds. I asked Atheists how the was possible for them to write the same message. They said a. The bible contradicts itself anyway b. it could've been passed on by word of mouth c. an Atheist said to me "You're assuming it was 40 different people. There's nothing to show that it wasn't just some bored scribe.."

could they be right?

4. When people have Near Death Experiences (die on the operating table for a couple of minutes) and nothing happens to them (i.e. it's just "blank" and they don't remember anything happening) this worries me. Are there any explanations for this?

As you can tell I'm very much a beginner so please go easy on me. I very much want Christ in my life and I'm sure these questions can be resolved. thank you!

Van

Contributor
Oct 28, 2004
California
✟9,814.00
Faith
Christian
Hi Meirou, you should not put too much stock in the assertions of atheists; they are calculated to undermine your faith. Lots of folks believe what the atheists say, and lots of other folks believe for the most part the atheist assertions are bogus. A reasonable conclusion is that there is no compelling evidence, either way. Thus you accept Christ by faith, and you reject Christ by a lack of faith.

Lets address these assertions. Note they refer you to Roman historians which avoids the Jewish historian, no fan of Christianity, who documented the spread of Christianity in the first century. These were people who either lived during the time of Christ, or the children of people who lived during the time of Christ, and they believed Christ was crucified. So the first assertion - no record of Christ's death - in non-biblical sources is without merit.

Yes, you can find differences in details, especially in the spelling of place names and numbers, in the Bible, which may be the result of copyist errors, but the Dead Sea Scrolls, discovered in 1947, demonstrate that no differences in doctrine were introduced by copyists, so we can rely upon the Bible as trustworthy and reliable. What atheists do is find something that appears to be a contradiction, and rather than try to understand it in a way that is consistent with other passages, they adopt the view that "creates" a contradiction for the purpose of discrediting the major parts of the Bible, i.e. God exists, we are sinners, we face just punishment for our misdeeds, but we can obtain mercy by putting our complete faith in Christ alone.

Yes, the Bible was written by about 40 different individuals over a time span of about 1500 years on three continents using three different languages. The fact that it is consistent in doctrine demonstrates, I believe, these individuals were inspired by God, otherwise they would be all over the map. It is fair to say some writers had other parts of the bible when they wrote their part, but in an age before computers, the consistency is still a miracle in my opinion.

Yes, near death experiences vary and some bring back no recollections at all. My Dad died on the table due to a heart attack and was dead for a few minutes and was brought back. He loved to fish, and be in the country. He said he had a dream of walking in a green pasture, like when he was a boy in Colorado, with a small stream running through it. And he felt he was home and at peace. My Dad lived another year, and for us kids, it was a special year because Dad did his best to show us the love of Jesus.

Trusting in God and Christ requires faith; if you are looking for iron clad proof beyond the possibility of doubt, I do not believe you will find it. On the other hand, if you believe in your heart (i.e. not superficially or partially) and confess with your mouth (i.e. your faith results in actions that put you at odds with the world) you will be saved.

May God Bless

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Adoniram

Jan 15, 2004
Missouri
✟16,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone, I'm a 19 year old female and very new to the Christian faith. I am visiting an evangelical church for the first time next Sunday.

I'm desperately searching for answers and I so badly want to believe in Christ. But my sinful mind has questions which is holding me back that I hope to be resolved here. I've been reading alot of things by Atheists lately and they almost convince me. I'm very frightened of Death and a deep dread follows me around wherever I go. Hence why I'm here. :)

1. An Atheist mentioned to me that the Romans were very good at keeping records, yet they have no records of Jesus Christ. Why not?
For one, there is not much in the way of ancient manuscripts that survives so there is no way of knowing whether there were official Roman records mentioning Jesus. Secondly, there are indeed several ancient historians that do mention Jesus, most notably Josephus, about 70 years after Jesus death.

2. A lot of people say the bible contradicts itself. What are these so called contradictions and is there any explanation for them?
The supposed "contradictions" are only in the minds of people that say that, because they are looking for reasons not to believe. People often cite "contradictions" that exist in the four gospels, the first four books of the New Testament, that deal with Jesus life here on earth. But one has to consider that these books were written by four different authors and each had points that he felt necessary to include and emphasize, whereas another might not have felt as strongly about the same points. Different perspectives. It's like there being several witnesses to an event...each will tell the story a bit differently, and it's only by combining all their testimonies that one gets the whole picture. Does that make sense?

3. 40 different men wrote the bible from different backgrounds. I asked Atheists how the was possible for them to write the same message. They said a. The bible contradicts itself anyway b. it could've been passed on by word of mouth c. an Atheist said to me "You're assuming it was 40 different people. There's nothing to show that it wasn't just some bored scribe.."

could they be right?
The answer to the uniformity of message is that it was all inspired by the Holy Spirit of God. The Bible is clear on that. a) No contradictions, just different perspectives. b) Some of the early part of Genesis was definitely from the oral tradition. But you have to understand that before writing was invented, people were very careful to maintain the stories as they were told...i.e., no embellishing. Their history and sense of belonging depended on it; they were extremely particular about it. That is also why there are representations of ancient Biblical historical events, such as the Flood, found in secular sources. The flood of Gilgamesh is a notable example. As the population spread out across the world, they carried these stories with them, and some were eventually recorded in the historical writings of whatever land they settled in. On the other hand, the Bible does not mention every significant historical event that ever happened because it deals with the history of the Israelites, mentioning other things only in relationship to how they effected the Israelites. c) Scribes would not have done something like that, no matter how bored. Their job was to copy texts as accurately and meticulously as they possibly could. A scribe who "played" around with the text would not be a scribe very long.

4. When people have Near Death Experiences (die on the operating table for a couple of minutes) and nothing happens to them (i.e. it's just "blank" and they don't remember anything happening) this worries me. Are there any explanations for this?

As you can tell I'm very much a beginner so please go easy on me. I very much want Christ in my life and I'm sure these questions can be resolved. thank you!
Personally, I don't put much stock in NDE's. Death occurs when all brain activity ceases, and one doesn't recover from that. Even when one is considered "brain dead" and in a vegetative state, just their cognitive functions have ceased, not the whole of brain activity...or their hearts and lungs would not operate either. Otherwise, they are asleep under anesthesia. People sometimes dream when they sleep, sometimes they don't. Sometimes people remember their dreams, sometimes they don't. In any case, most dreams are influenced by something that has been on their minds, so it is not surprising that people who are facing a stressful situation, like an operation, might have been thinking about death and what comes after.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about NDE's. Worry about what's real. Go to the church. Better yet, seek out an acquaintance whom you know to be Christian and talk to them. At the very least, they should be able to put you in contact with someone who can answer your more detailed questions.

Upvote 0

PerrySB

May 30, 2008
Just outside Yosemite Park
✟8,048.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status

• An Atheist mentioned to me that the Romans were very good at keeping records, yet they have no records of Jesus Christ. Why not?
Who ever told you that isn’t accurate. However they did not record his resurrection and the reason being is the Jews would have been doing everything they could to put down Christianity. Not until Constantine did the Romans become involved with Christianity. About 330 AD

Ask those who say that to pleas point out the contradictions not just make a statement without supporting it.

could they be right?

Not at all the Bible was put together over several hundred years. Moses was around about 1500 BCE and the final cannon was completed in about 360 AD if I remember correctly. Here again look at the evidence found in the dead sea scrolls.

This is something I’m very familiar with. Not all people that have NDE have out of body experiences. To me I prefer to look at those who were referred to as brain dead. That means a flat EEG and no blood flow to the brain, by doing so you pretty much eliminate the possibility of hallucinations or the brain misfiring in the simplest terms.

If you have studied NDE then you should understand that death is nothing to be feared. Yes some people have had very negative NDE and once you learn a little about their lives you would understand why. Read Dr. Strom’s NDE that is a real eye opener.

Upvote 0

PerrySB

May 30, 2008
✟8,048.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Personally, I don't put much stock in NDE's. Death occurs when all brain activity ceases, and one doesn't recover from that.

That isn’t correct. I can give you examples of neurosurgery where the brain is flat line and blood has been drained from the brain. Clinically the person is dead so don’t discount NDE without doing a little research into them. I do understand the evidence supporting out of body experiences is circumstantial but also overwhelming.

Upvote 0

PerrySB

May 30, 2008
✟8,048.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status

Dr. Michael Sabom is a cardiologist whose latest book, Light and Death, includes a detailed medical and scientific analysis of an amazing near-death experience of a woman named Pam Reynolds. She underwent a rare operation to remove a giant basilar artery aneurysm in her brain that threatened her life. The size and location of the aneurysm, however, precluded its safe removal using the standard neuro-surgical techniques. She was referred to a doctor who had pioneered a daring surgical procedure known as hypothermic cardiac arrest. It allowed Pam's aneurysm to be excised with a reasonable chance of success. This operation, nicknamed "standstill" by the doctors who perform it, required that Pam's body temperature be lowered to 60 degrees, her heartbeat and breathing stopped, her brain waves flattened, and the blood drained from her head. In everyday terms, she was put to death. After removing the aneurysm, she was restored to life. During the time that Pam was in standstill, she experienced a NDE. Her remarkably detailed veridical out-of-body observations during her surgery were later verified to be very accurate. This case is considered to be one of the strongest cases of veridical evidence in NDE research because of her ability to describe the unique surgical instruments and procedures used and her ability to describe in detail these events while she was clinically and brain dead.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

In the 1st century from about 58 to 63 AD Nero was the emperor of Rome. Under his rule Rome burned for five days, this fire destroyed 10 of the 14 Roman districts. It was also credited to have consumed much of the recorded history contained in Rome's "libraries" at the time. Besides there are conformations of Jesus outside of scripture in secular texts.

most contradictions have to do with a literal or figurative interpretation of the bible. Most of which can be reconciled if one takes the words in question back to the original texts.

Here is a link to some of the more popular contradictions explained:
BIBLE CONTRADICTIONS ANSWERED -- Biblical Errors Mistakes Difficulties Discrepancies Countered

There are many thousands of manuscripts for the bible,that span thousands of years. There are Many available manuscripts for the bible than any other written document in History. Anyone who has seriously studied scripture at any length knows the bible is not the dream of a signal scribe.

NDE's mean nothing either way. They are the "experiences" of an indivisual and not any type of proof or doctrine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PerrySB

May 30, 2008
✟8,048.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
NDE's mean nothing either way. They are the "experiences" of an indivisual and not any type of proof or doctrine.

I find your comment interesting. Paul’s experience with the Jesus was just his experience that he testified to. Why is it so hard to believe that God will reveal Himself to the unbelieving world in various ways. NDE is one of those ways and don’t discount them until you have researched them completely. They do a great deal to prove the existence of God to a world that is atheistic or agnostic. Several have come to know Christ because of the testimonies of these people. God isn’t limited to the Bible in revealing Himself to us.

Upvote 0
I

Insubres

The Romans were good at keeping records about somethings but they didn't record everything, and not everything that is recorded is ever preserved.

Something that people conveniently forget when it comes to Jesus is that in 70 AD the Romans completely destroyed Jerusalem to the point it looked like it had never been inhabited (according to Josephus, a Jewish historian); They even renamed Jerusalem Aelia Capitolina and renamed the Iudaea to Syria Palaestina a few years later to make it appear as if the Jews had never existed! To expect many documents to survive such events is foolish at best.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

robinoflocksley

MY FLESH IS TRUE FOOD, MY BLOOD IS TRUE DRINK
May 6, 2010
arkansas
✟7,701.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If i were you i would google St Thomas Aquinas (one of the best minds in history) and is five things that prove there is a god. A simple one is the first mover argument. If the universe was created by the BIG BANG like the athiest says, there still had to be a cause, a first cause something or someone had to exist. That would be GOD.

not a very good job on my part, best look it up for yourself

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Paul’s experience with the Jesus was just his experience that he testified to.

Where Paul's experience differ from those who profess NDE's are that Paul's experiences are apart of canonical scripture and therefore apart of Christian Doctrine. NDE's and their followers/tellers are not.

Why is it so hard to believe that God will reveal Himself to the unbelieving world in various ways.
It is not Hard to believe that in the least bit. But, at the same time we need not to be foolish about unverifiable revelations that random people have. Meaning we can not erect beliefs and or tributes to something that God may or may not use to speak to one signal person.

Kinda like the burning bush. Just because God speaks to one person in recorded biblical history through a burning bush it doesn't mean all revelations come through the same method. Nor as followers of the one true God should we erect a faith to bushes that burn.

NDE is one of those ways and don’t discount them until you have researched them completely.
That's just it. There is nothing to research. it is just a pool of stories that people may or may not have experienced. Without doubt it changes lives, but at the same time if you place your faith in signs and wonders, then you risk building your faith on sand. Because a faith built on signs and wonders always need to be fed with more and greater events.

God isn't’t limited to the Bible in revealing Himself to us.
True but the same is not true for us. Because Unfortunately we are limited by scripture in our ability to discern what is real and what is a misguided brother trying to prove his great faith by describing the reward he thinks is waiting for him in Heaven.

I personally had a NDE, and it was not Heaven I saw. It was sharing my experience that lead me to my conclusions. If people want a relationship with God they will not seek Heaven, those who tell of their NDE's often speak of all of the benefit coming to them in Heaven. In My experience, I didnot want Heaven, I wanted to be with God More than anything. I learned what made hell, Hell was not fire and brimstone, but the absents of the one you want to be with. Heaven and Hell have noting to do with the whole material/Spiritual/reward/punishment. It has everything to do with the relationship you either have, or do not have with God in this Life.

So why advocate a mini religious movement that takes away glory from God and places it on what we think we have coming to us? Why focus on the "stuff" when we should be focused on the who and why?

One of the things I took from my experience is this question I ask people who want heaven, but don't give much thought to God.

If the description of Heaven and hell were somehow reversed back in time, and Heaven was a fiery pit (But God lived there) and Hell was what we understood to be paradise but it was absent of God.. Would you still want to Goto Heaven? (The fiery pit?)

If you love God as you are commanded to, (With all of your being) You will Go through Hell to be with Him. If you love God as a default for your admission into Heaven then you deserve, and shall receive neither.

I don't necessarily say all of this to you specifically, I believe some of what was said relates to the OP.

Upvote 0

JasperJackson

Sinner and Saint
Dec 31, 2007
Adelaide
✟16,893.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Meirou,

I don't have much else to say that the others haven't covered except in regards to near death experiences. The Bible says that we will die once and then face judgement (Hebrews 9:27), so while someone may have a near death experience, it's just that near death. Not death itself. Whatever someone experiences or claims to experience, it's not God. If they've come back to earth, alive again, they did not see God.

You said you fear death. I think a healthy amount of fear is a good thing. So don't worry about that. Just draw nearer to God.

And as a general tip, as a new Christian, you'll continue to encounter many arguments from atheist and other non-Christians. My advice is don't panic. If you hear a "convincing" argument just realise its probably something Christians have heard before, and something they have an answer for. Then just talk to someone, or read up on the issue.

And let us know how you go at church on Sunday!

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,359.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Probably because he hasn't read Tacitus.

If they can't tell you what they think is a contradiction, then they don't know what they're talking about.

could they be right?
Not likely, those are rather lazy "arguments" if you could call them that.

Oral tradition doesn't contradict your premise at all, especially since it was written over hundreds of years. And the stylistic differences are far too varied for a scribe to just make up. Besides, try to find someone today who is "bored" and get him to write something as varied, as unified, as long, and as exquisite as the Bible.

Near-death experiences can be accounted for any number of ways, since the brain starts to lose the blood and oxygen it needs. Somebody's near-death experience or lack thereof can neither prove or disprove Christianity. And to be honest, Christianity is solid enough without the help of near-death experiences, though if one helped somebody come to faith in Christ, then that's fine.

Upvote 0

PerrySB

May 30, 2008
✟8,048.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
That is not accurate, when the brain has a flat EEG and there is no blood flow to the brain or the brain has been drained of blood the person is clinically dead. One needs to study NDE to understand them. A woman by the name of Pam Reynolds had a basilar artery aneurysm that would eventually kill her. She underwent a surgical procedure known as hypothermic cardiac arrest. Her body temperature was lowered to 60 degrees. Her heart beat and breathing stopped and the blood was drained from her head to perform the surgery, she was put to death, not near death. After the aneurysm was repaired she was resuscitated. During the operation Pam had an out of body experience, she was able to describe in detail the surgical instruments and procedures while she was clinically dead. This is a well documented case and there are many others. To me the evidence is overwhelming and shouldn’t be ignored. Our God is still reaching out to a lost world and if it takes NDE to draw people to Him I’m sure He will use them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
People say those things because they don't want the bible to be true-but these athiests are clueless. Challenge your athiests friends to visit a website called Reasonable Faith. There are debates that will make them think. The one over this website is a great debater, Craig, and Richard Dawkins the famous athiest won't debate him because he will slam dunk him.

Visit: www.TheBibleProofBook.com. And you can read The Evidence That Demands A Verdict by Josh McDowell (its overwhelming circumstantial evidence of bible) and Examine the Evidence by Muncaster a former athiest/The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel a former athiest.

NDE: Many people do experience something. Also, there is a book called 90 Minutes in Heaven. A guy was dead for 90 minutes and went to heaven-its in the nonfiction area. He wasn't near death-he was dead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian

could they be right?

If you're desperate, you're vulnerable.

Relax, enjoy your life, and let tomorrow worry about itself. No sense stressing over things you can't control anyway.

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Thanks guys and God Bless. Please anyone who is reading this pray for me so I can be a good Christian and not have all these horrible thoughts! :)

There's nothing wrong with it- faith is designed to be questioned, or else it wouldn't be faith, would it?

The Romans really kept records only on the emperors and the Upper Class. It would be very uncharacteristic of the Romans to make an exception with a Jewish peasant that was executed and that a few local Jews were claiming was raised from the dead, wouldn't it?

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Mod Hat On

TheEyes.jpg

Thread has been moved to For New Christians. Same rules apply- no debating, respond only to the OP.

Mod Hat Off

Upvote 0

savedbygracebre

Jun 26, 2005
✟579.00
Faith
Protestant
Definitely check out " The Case for Christ" and also "The Case For Faith". Stop over at Amazon online and you can buy them used for a great price. They will help you to see through all of the arguements that athiests have against the Christian faith-one big reason is that the author Lee Strobel was himself an athiest before he came to Christ.

Upvote 0