United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
2h2kz7a.jpg

Of course it would be a blonde woman ripping her hijab off.

Upvote 0

Joshua_5

Sep 22, 2016
New Zealand
✟31,422.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lol thanks for clarifying that....you're a credit to Islam.
My experience with Muslims is just this. They are honourable people ('though sincerely wrong in their faith without Jesus), both online and in real life, totally different from how they are demonised in the media. I'm not saying there are no such thing as radicals, but the media is at war with Muslims as it is with Christians. There is nothing it would like better than to see a war between both.

The societies are incompatible - yes - but so are all religions with Christianity, if practiced sincerely.

Upvote 0

Joshua_5

Sep 22, 2016
New Zealand
✟31,422.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your chart didn't have any quantification of the x axis on it. As terrible a practice as female genital mutilation is, I think we could say it is almost eradicated if it affected only several hundred or so women in the countries listed (as the chart without other quantification detail implies).

Upvote 0

GondwanaLand

Dec 8, 2013
✟44,972.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Your chart didn't have any quantification of the x axis on it. As terrible a practice as female genital mutilation is, I think we could say it is almost eradicated if it affected only several hundred or so women in the countries listed (as the chart without other quantification detail implies).
It is percentage. Thought that was pretty obvious.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟441,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My experience with Muslims is just this. They are honourable people ('though sincerely wrong in their faith without Jesus), both online and in real life, totally different from how they are demonised in the media. I'm not saying there are no such thing as radicals, but the media is at war with Muslims as it is with Christians. There is nothing it would like better than to see a war between both.

The societies are incompatible - yes - but so are all religions with Christianity, if practiced sincerely.

Yeah? That's not my experience with them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟441,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Funny -- it describes my experience with them to a T.

Well, how much experience do you have?

Have you ever, for example, spoken with large numbers of them on an internet forum such as this one?

I tend to think the general anonymity of the internet...along with the presence of a like-minded community...tends to bring out the honesty of a person. They're less afraid to honestly speak of their views when they aren't in the minority and don't face any real life repercussions.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Well, how much experience do you have?

Have you ever, for example, spoken with large numbers of them on an internet forum such as this one?

No, I've spoken with them individually and in small groups in real life.

I tend to think the general anonymity of the internet...along with the presence of a like-minded community...tends to bring out the honesty of a person.

I've been on this forum long enough to know the truth of that.

They're less afraid to honestly speak of their views when they aren't in the minority and don't face any real life repercussions.

Again, my experience with the Christians here backs that up.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟441,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, I've spoken with them individually and in small groups in real life.

I've been on this forum long enough to know the truth of that.

Again, my experience with the Christians here backs that up.

I can't argue against your personal experiences...but they aren't the same as my own.

I would encourage you to try it out...I think there's a relatively large Islamic forum not unlike this Christian forum called Ummah dot com. I spent about 1.5 years on it around 2007-2008. "Honorable" definitely isn't the word I'd use to describe the average muslim on there.

I can't say I've known any large number of muslims in real life...but the few I've known were extremely reluctant to discuss any religious beliefs or political views with non-muslims. I'd also say that their reaction to learning I'm an atheist was generally poorer than the christians I've told...and the reaction from most christians wasn't anything I'd describe as positive.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I can't argue against your personal experiences...but they aren't the same as my own.

I would encourage you to try it out...I think there's a relatively large Islamic forum not unlike this Christian forum called Ummah dot com. I spent about 1.5 years on it around 2007-2008. "Honorable" definitely isn't the word I'd use to describe the average muslim on there.

You want me to use some choice words to describe my experience with Christians on here? It'll short out the profanity filter.

I hope you're not mistaking "Internet Tough Guy" Syndrome for actual truth.

I can't say I've known any large number of muslims in real life...but the few I've known were extremely reluctant to discuss any religious beliefs or political views with non-muslims.

Given the political climate, are you surprised?

I'd also say that their reaction to learning I'm an atheist was generally poorer than the christians I've told...and the reaction from most christians wasn't anything I'd describe as positive.

The few I've told don't seem to care one way or the other -- would that it were true of Christians.

Although one of them (Muslim, that is) gave me a Bible for a Christmas present one year... make what you will of that.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Silicon Valley
✟580,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I can't say I've known any large number of muslims in real life...but the few I've known were extremely reluctant to discuss any religious beliefs or political views with non-muslims. I'd also say that their reaction to learning I'm an atheist was generally poorer than the christians I've told...and the reaction from most christians wasn't anything I'd describe as positive.

I've known quite a few Muslims in real life. I worked with a blonde haired Bosnian Muslim who was an arrogant bully. My wife worked with one too, who was rude in general, but gave special deals and accommodations to fellow Muslims. My daughter befriended one at school, but her parents refused to let her out after school, and would not allow visitors at home... Then there's the ones in my neighborhood who speed around and only talk amongst themselves (men only).

...Not very good experiences so far.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
In general, my experiences suggest that Muslims are good to one another but are unkind or at least very leary of non-Muslims.

That mirrors my experience with Christians.

• Agree
Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe that at all. Not one bit.

You don't believe that Christians can be unkind to or at the very least wary of non-Christians?

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Silicon Valley
✟580,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You don't believe that Christians can be unkind to or at the very least wary of non-Christians?

Nope. Look at Catholic charities -they help and befriend anyone. Its a Christian duty via the Good Samaritan.

...We don't think along those exclusive lines.

Last edited:
Upvote 0