• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

feeling worse when under control

HerCrazierHalf

closet atheist
Aug 11, 2014
SoCal, US
✟29,273.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I've been diagnosed for about a year with type 2 and controlled for about 2 months. Took some time to get things under control with oral meds, but oddly enough I usually feel better when my glucose runs higher (140-180). But now that I'm controlled I just don't feel as good as I used to before getting my numbers where they are supposed to be.

So much so that feeling good and content (for lack of a better description of the overall sense of my body) is almost a cute for me to check for high readings.

Does anyone else find that they feel worse once you got your readings under control? How long did it take for that to change?

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess so. Well, at least my appetite has stabilized and my gums are normal again.

I guess the other question is, am I the only person who gets diagnosed and didn't have any "unexplained weight loss"?
Your question is ambiguous (to me). I have not had any weight loss - period; let alone unexplained weight loss.

I went on a non-sugar diet for a full month. Didn't seem to matter. My readings were way up there and oscillating all over the place. I'm now on Tanzeum, and things seems to be settling down. Maybe I will see a weight loss, but I'm not holding my breath :-(.

Upvote 0

HerCrazierHalf

closet atheist
Aug 11, 2014
SoCal, US
✟29,273.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Your question is ambiguous (to me). I have not had any weight loss - period; let alone unexplained weight loss.

I went on a non-sugar diet for a full month. Didn't seem to matter. My readings were way up there and oscillating all over the place. I'm now on Tanzeum, and things seems to be settling down. Maybe I will see a weight loss, but I'm not holding my breath :-(.
Most people who have told me their story about how they were diagnosed with diabetes also mention that they lost as lot of weight either before diagnosis or during the time they were trying to stabilize it with meds or insulin.

Otoh, I didn't lose weight. In fact I gained a few until I got it under control. The "unexplained" just means not through diet and exercise, in the same context that it is used to describe the symptoms of uncontrolled diabetes.

Upvote 0

counJS

Sep 15, 2015
✟573.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
I guess so. Well, at least my appetite has stabilized and my gums are normal again.

I guess the other question is, am I the only person who gets diagnosed and didn't have any "unexplained weight loss"?
I went to the doctor 15 years ago originally because I had a cough. He did some blood work and then told me "You have a bigger problem than a cough. You have diabetes. ". Up to that point I had no significant weight loss

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

lisah

Humanist with Christian Heritage
Oct 3, 2003
✟15,168.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
I was told that meters can be off by as much as 15 points. Have you tried a different or new meter?

I was diagnosed back in June. I usually feel better when my glucose is above 115/120, otherwise I start feeling shaky. It really depends upon my level of activity as to how bad I feel. I suspect it is because my body still can not process the glucose correctly, even though it might be within a desirable range. But, I'm not sure if that's how it works yet.

I have been using "gomeals" to track what I eat, my glucose levels, and exercise. It's a pain, but it allows me to include notes in the glucose area so I can easily share that with my doctor, since I always have have my phone with me. My meter does not offer that. Right now I am approaching it kind of like a budget and try not to overspend on carbs. I have lost about 3 pounds since I have starting tracking (about two weeks). But sometimes I don't feel like messing with it, so I don't eat. I'm sure that will change as I get accustomed to everything and keep on a schedule.

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been diagnosed for about a year with type 2 and controlled for about 2 months. Took some time to get things under control with oral meds, but oddly enough I usually feel better when my glucose runs higher (140-180). But now that I'm controlled I just don't feel as good as I used to before getting my numbers where they are supposed to be.

So much so that feeling good and content (for lack of a better description of the overall sense of my body) is almost a cute for me to check for high readings.

Does anyone else find that they feel worse once you got your readings under control? How long did it take for that to change?

It isn't all that unusual for a person who is use to BG being high to feel strange when it is normal range. Everyone is different so it might not feel normal for a few days to a few weeks. It depends on how long you have been high and sometimes what else may be going on with your body

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums