Emjay1985

May 21, 2014
New Zealand
✟15,221.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Each week I donate a little over 10% of my income to charity. I want to give more but then I feel guilty, like I'm depriving my children in some way:confused:. I pay my bills and have zero debt. My children have everything they need and quite a few of their wants. Some weeks I give over 20% because my heart breaks for those who are affected by war, famine, disease, and natural disasters. With so many suffering so much I know what I give is just a drop in the proverbial bucket but I believe every little bit helps.

I don't know how to phrase my question. Should I feel guilty about giving more? Am I being silly?

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟741,157.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

You are doing an awesome job. I would not feel guilty at all. Pray that God would open up ways for you to help more people. It may not be through greater giving, but through advocacy or other things.

I found I could not give as much as I wanted to charity due to financial limitations. However I became very active in trying to speak to government about the needs of others. You can be a voice for the poor in more than just money.

If you want to help me I have links from my website to topics I am trying to advocate before governments:

http://www.futureandahope.net/poorhelp.php - Help Combat Child Prostitution
http://www.futureandahope.net/north_korea.php - Stop Human rights abuse in North Korea

The following one is a bit out of date but some points may be worth considering
http://www.futureandahope.net/peaceplan.php - Middle East Peace Plan

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
no, i don't think you should feel guilty at all about your giving. In fact, the Lord wants us to give with joyful hearts. So my advice to you would be to look around and see where you can do exactly that.....give to God with a heart full of joy.

Compassion and empathy surely have their place in our lives. But personally when i am feeling moved by compassion or empathy i offer up my prayers to God that He will move in those lives in such a way that needs will be met, and the praise will all go to God as a witness of His goodness. And that those who see this witness might also have their hearts opened to the goodness of God.

so there are two ways that needs can be met; either thru donations or thru prayers, and both are needed for things to be successful.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟658,128.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Each week I donate a little over 10% of my income to charity. I want to give more but then I feel guilty, like I'm depriving my children in some way:confused:. I pay my bills and have zero debt. My children have everything they need and quite a few of their wants. Some weeks I give over 20% because my heart breaks for those who are affected by war, famine, disease, and natural disasters. With so many suffering so much I know what I give is just a drop in the proverbial bucket but I believe every little bit helps.

I don't know how to phrase my question. Should I feel guilty about giving more? Am I being silly?

No, you are not being silly, first, Charity begins at home.
Some souls it comes easy to give/share, but it should be of your choosing, no pressure, if you feel for a certain Project then donate, but best reguarly,
You choose yourself, it is thought that no more than 20%,because giving brings bonuses, so not to make it appear as if you are in it for buisness reasons. But you choose.
The lowest level of Charity, is to give un willingly.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟323,897.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Maybe. How much of your giving is going to the people you are trying to help? Find out to see that your giving is going to where you want it to.

Bolding mine.

All I want to add is if the OP is giving so much money depending on the age of the kids they should consider giving time. Ideally not time taken from their own kids but time that is shared with their kids and others locally who are less fortunate.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

You are doing more than 99.99999% of the population, so that shouldn't make you feel guilty.

Upvote 0

The-Doctor

Man with a scarf
Nov 12, 2002
England
✟28,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We can only do what we can with what we have. You shouldn't feel guilty, you give what can, others are immensely wealthy who don't give anything.

At the end of the day we can't save everyone

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
We can only do what we can with what we have. You shouldn't feel guilty, you give what can, others are immensely wealthy who don't give anything.

At the end of the day we can't save everyone

Very true

Upvote 0

Emjay1985

May 21, 2014
New Zealand
✟15,221.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all so much for your responses. This is an area I've struggled with for quite awhile. Nobody in my real life knows that I donate. 1. Because I don't want to seem like I'm doing it for approval, or to show off, or whatever. 2. Because my family can be quite derisive about donations and helping others.

I've always felt led (for lack of a better word or phrase) to help others in a variety of ways; prayers, words, actions, giving of food or objects or time or money, etc. It's not hard for me so I don't have to push myself. I know what its like to go hungry, cold, and barefoot. Thanks to God it was only for a few years of my life. Thanks to God I'm no longer in that situation and can now help other people again.

Upvote 0