Southern
✟6,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Widowed
Hello. I am in desperate need. I believe, based on scripture, that I have committed the unpardonable sin (Heb 10:26-29; Numbers 15:24-31; Hebrews 6:4-6; 2 Peter 2:20-22). I am guilty of willful, intentional sin. I am under constant and obsessive thoughts of my condemnation. I don’t know how I can live this way without going crazy. I know I have no one to blame and God is just.

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello. I am in desperate need. I believe, based on scripture, that I have committed the unpardonable sin (Heb 10:26-29; Numbers 15:24-31; Hebrews 6:4-6; 2 Peter 2:20-22). I am guilty of willful, intentional sin. I am under constant and obsessive thoughts of my condemnation. I don’t know how I can live this way without going crazy. I know I have no one to blame and God is just.

You are fine ….

You may rest your weary head on Gods shoulder …You have not committed the unpardonable sin…..I know this for a truth.

The reason I know you haven’t ....is because you are concerned you have …that may not make any sense, but I can assure you, If you had done such a thing …you would not care at all and there would be no regrets whatsoever.

The unpardonable sin cannot be done unwillingly …It is committed with full knowledge of what you are doing and the consequences resulting in such an act. It is 180 degrees out of phase with accepting Jesus as your lord and savior…..

Trust me when I tell you this …..I have met those, even worked with those who have done this …and they are proud of who they are and who they now serve.

BTW, the scripture you cited …hmm…. not really relevant, in fact a couple of those mean something totally different.

Have a bless peaceful New Year

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
Have you ever believed in Jesus for God's free gift of Eternal Life and became a born again child of God. If so then you can never end up in the lake of fire (hell).

That is not me just saying this, this is a promise form God.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

You've hit on the pitfall of sola scriptura, or scripture alone. Those who hold to that idea are bound by scripture. Now you've read the scripture in question, you know what it says, and you know what it means. The new testament has it that baptism washes away all previous sins, and once someone is baptized they are to -in the words of Jesus whenever he would forgive a person's sins- "go and sin no more". As the writer of 1 John had it:

1Jo 2:6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.

For the first 200 years of the Church if a person willfully sinned after baptism they would be excommunicated, depending on what the sin was. The Bid Three in the early Church we murder, adultery, and idolatry. However, around 200 AD Calixtus I, Bishop of Rome, began absolving people even for those sins and pronounced that even mortal sins committed after baptism could be forgiven. That led to the development of penance for those sins. You can google Calixtus and Hyppolytus if you want to read about the controversy all that started.

But keep in mind that absolution for mortal sin after baptism is a Tradition of the Church. You've already read what the bible says about it and you know what it means. If I were you I would find a priest and talk to him about it. Preferably an Orthodox priest.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

JoyAlton

Jan 1, 2024
South East region
✟2,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That used to be a difficult passage for me as well. My church teaches the unpardonable sin is hardening your heart in such a way that you die in a state of final unbelief. So, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (Who desires our good and to lead us to God and away from sin) is to refuse God’s mercy until death. It is a final refusal to repent of sin and believe God. That's the path the Pharisees were on when they hardened their hearts against Jesus' words and actions. I will include you in My Prayers tonight. God bless you.

Upvote 0

Christoph Maria

Dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return...
Sep 10, 2022
Göteborg, Sweden
✟66,727.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour

0f850fba0aced026357cca14c3afc50b_(4).gif

Welcome to Christian Forums!

LORD, those who know you will trust in You.
You have never deserted those who look to You.
Psalms 9:10

"Here is what I am commanding you to do:
Be strong and brave.
Do not be terrified.
Do not lose hope.
I am the LORD your God.
I will be with you everywhere you go."

Joshua 1:9

"Judah, listen to me!
People of Jerusalem, listen to me!
Have faith in the LORD your God.
He'll take good care of you.
Have faith in his prophets.
Then you will have success."

2 Chronicles 20:20

Some trust in chariots.
Some trust in horses.
But we trust in the LORD our God.

Psalms 20:7

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF! You have defined the "unpardonable sin " incorrectly. Dying in unbelief is the only unpardonable sin because it is too late. Common sense tells us that our Father forgives all sin otherwise Jesus Christ of Nazareth died for nothing. Think out it.
Blessings

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mod Hat image.jpg

MOD HAT ON

This thread has been moved to Requests for Christian Advice. Please continue your discussion here, bearing in mind the Statement of Purpose for this forum.

MOD HAT OFF​

Upvote 0

Fearful

Dec 29, 2023
Southern
✟6,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Widowed
That used to be a difficult passage for me as well. My church teaches the unpardonable sin is hardening your heart in such a way that you die in a state of final unbelief. So, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (Who desires our good and to lead us to God and away from sin) is to refuse God’s mercy until death. It is a final refusal to repent of sin and believe God. That's the path the Pharisees were on when they hardened their hearts against Jesus' words and actions. I will include you in My Prayers tonight. God bless you.
Thank you.

Upvote 0

Fearful

Dec 29, 2023
Southern
✟6,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Widowed
You are fine ….

You may rest your weary head on Gods shoulder …You have not committed the unpardonable sin…..I know this for a truth.

The reason I know you haven’t ....is because you are concerned you have …that may not make any sense, but I can assure you, If you had done such a thing …you would not care at all and there would be no regrets whatsoever.

The unpardonable sin cannot be done unwillingly …It is committed with full knowledge of what you are doing and the consequences resulting in such an act. It is 180 degrees out of phase with accepting Jesus as your lord and savior…..

Trust me when I tell you this …..I have met those, even worked with those who have done this …and they are proud of who they are and who they now serve.

BTW, the scripture you cited …hmm…. not really relevant, in fact a couple of those mean something totally different.

Have a bless peaceful New Year
I really appreciate your response, but is there scripture that supports that being concerned confirms you haven’t committed the unpardonable sin?

Upvote 0

Fearful

Dec 29, 2023
Southern
✟6,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Widowed
You've hit on the pitfall of sola scriptura, or scripture alone. Those who hold to that idea are bound by scripture. Now you've read the scripture in question, you know what it says, and you know what it means. The new testament has it that baptism washes away all previous sins, and once someone is baptized they are to -in the words of Jesus whenever he would forgive a person's sins- "go and sin no more". As the writer of 1 John had it:

1Jo 2:6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.

For the first 200 years of the Church if a person willfully sinned after baptism they would be excommunicated, depending on what the sin was. The Bid Three in the early Church we murder, adultery, and idolatry. However, around 200 AD Calixtus I, Bishop of Rome, began absolving people even for those sins and pronounced that even mortal sins committed after baptism could be forgiven. That led to the development of penance for those sins. You can google Calixtus and Hyppolytus if you want to read about the controversy all that started.

But keep in mind that absolution for mortal sin after baptism is a Tradition of the Church. You've already read what the bible says about it and you know what it means. If I were you I would find a priest and talk to him about it. Preferably an Orthodox priest.
Thank you for your response. I’m not playing ignorant, but to sum up your response, are you confirming that I have committed the unpardonable sin and there is no hope for me?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for your response. I’m not playing ignorant, but to sum up your response, are you confirming that I have committed the unpardonable sin and there is no hope for me?

There is hope for you because the Church has declared that there is hope for you. There is an entire history behind what we are discussing, and it is a history that very few people understand. Again, you've read the bible and you know what it says. But you see that nearly everyone by and large either ignores what it says, or claim that it doesn't mean what it says, or engage in verbal gymnastics to make it mean something other than what it says. I'm telling you that it means what it says, but the Church has declared something else. It's just that simple.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Indeed to that. I would also quote our St. Silouan the Athonite who taught that the two thoughts that the Orthodox Christian must flee from is the conceit that they have personally attained some special holiness or sainthood, and on the other hand, the fear that they are beyond the hope of God’s salvation.

The reason for this is of course logical and is to be found in scripture and the very words of Christ. If we presume ourselves to have achieved sainthood, of being holy and special, we have become proud, like the Pharisees; we might dare to thank God for making us spiritually superior to the unwashed masses, Holier than thou. But our Lord stresses the importance of humility, which the presumption of sainthood precludes, so ironically, anyone who desires sanctity must humble themselves, or risk humiliation.

Conversely, despair over the prospects of our salvation is also contrary to what Christ said. He made a firm promise, conveyed to us by the four Evangelists and St. Paul, that he would save those who believe on Him, who are baptized and partake of His Body and Blood and in so doing are united to His Church, the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians is particularly soteriologically comforting, as are the four Gospels, with the beginning and end of Luke, and the Gospel of John (particularly chapters 1, 3, 6, 10 and the Passion and Resurrection) and beginning and the end of the Gospel of Matthew, along with Chapter 16 of that Gospel, and the intermediate portions of any of the three synoptics, being particularly useful, and also the Acts of the Apostles.

Everyone should seek out a traditional church that adheres to the Nicene Creed and teaches an incarnational, Trinitarian theology focused on salvation through participation in the Body of Christ, that worships in a solemn manner, decently and in order, ideally according to the liturgical traditions of the Christian church since the first century, and that emphasizes the routine reception of the Eucharist and the baptism of everyone including infants. I particularly like, in addition to the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox churches, the Assyrian Church of the East, the more traditional Anglican churches, the confessional Lutheran churches, and the conservative Roman Catholics use the beautiful Traditional Latin Mass (which is quite easy to follow, since there are books called Missals which contain the text of all the Latin parts of the service, and the scripture lessons and sermon are normally in English or the vernacular language), as well as traditional Methodist churches like the Epworth Chapel on the Green in Boise, Idaho and traditional Congregational churches such as Park Street Church in Boston, Massachussets (which is sadly the last traditional Congregational church in that city).

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
There is hope for you because the Church has declared that there is hope for you. There is an entire history behind what we are discussing, and it is a history that very few people understand. Again, you've read the bible and you know what it says. But you see that nearly everyone by and large either ignores what it says, or claim that it doesn't mean what it says, or engage in verbal gymnastics to make it mean something other than what it says. I'm telling you that it means what it says, but the Church has declared something else. It's just that simple.

This is entirely correct. Literally every word @HTacianas has said I have independently verified through over a decade of study following what one might call the true long night of the soul, a period of my life in which I felt alienated by the liberalism and the embrace of rock music instead of the beautiful traditional hymns of the mainline church I was a member of, which led me into a dark period of extravagant sin, vice and secularism, which I was drawn out of, and once out of it, I came to the same conclusion that Htacianas has said. I suppose the only difference between my friend’s perspective and mine is that I regard all of the traditional liturgical churches as being good, but I do consider the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox to be the most reliable, provided one finds a parish, and this is generally quite easy to do, which has a proper attitude towards welcoming other Christians and is not ethnocentric. And fortunately the old stereotype of the ethnocentric Orthodox parish is becoming increasingly rare. I haven’t found one yet where I was unwelcome, even though I have worshipped in some Orthodox churches where my presence caused something of a surprise owing to the obscure ethnicity of the parishioners. I remember a church of Middle Eastern Orthodox Christians who were delighted to welcome me, and there was an elderly Assyrian Christian lady, who could well have been in her nineties, who simply hugged me. It was blissful.

Reactions: HTacianas
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate

On the contrary, what @HTacianas said is specifically there is hope for you, just as there is for myself and for himself and for all of us, through participation in Christ’s church, which was established, as described in Matthew 16, and in Acts, and in 1 Corinthians, as the means for our salvation.

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit requires an intentional rejection of the love of Christ as conveyed to us through the Holy Spirit throughout our entire lives. It is a sin that by its very nature, if one fears of having committed it, one could not have done so, because those who do blaspheme the Holy Spirit are impenitent, that is to say, they have no awareness of their sin and no desire to repent. Their hearts are hardened. Christ our True God loves you and desires your salvation.

Upvote 0