Favorite Martin Luther Quotes

Jan 24, 2011
✟15,247.00
Faith
Christian
Like it says under my name: Have faith in your sin, and faith in your Savior. Basically, it means that you had better be a sinner because Jesus only saves sinners.
In the Bible, it doesn't say that we should remain in our sins or to "sin boldly". In fact, it says the opposite:

"No one who abides in him sins; no one who sins has either seen him or known him."
- 1 John 3:6

"She said, 'No one, Lord.' And Jesus said, 'Neither do I condemn you; go, and do not sin again.'"
-John 8:11

Last edited:
Upvote 0

doulos_tou_kuriou

Located at the intersection of Forde and Giertz
Apr 26, 2006
MinneSO-TA. That's how they say it here, right?
✟17,424.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
In the Bible, it doesn't say that we should remain in our sins or to "sin boldly". In fact, it says the opposite:

"No one who abides in him sins; no one who sins has either seen him or known him."

"She said, 'No one, Lord.' And Jesus said, 'Neither do I condemn you; go, and do not sin again.'"

I think you miss the point of the phrase.

And I should note, if you think you are without sin, check the Law.

Upvote 0

doulos_tou_kuriou

Located at the intersection of Forde and Giertz
Apr 26, 2006
MinneSO-TA. That's how they say it here, right?
✟17,424.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Again note the phrase in context:
"If you are a preacher of grace, then preach a true and not a fictitious grace; if grace is true, you must bear a true and not a fictitious sin. God does not save people who are only fictitious31 sinners. Be a sinner and sin32 boldly,33 but believe and34 rejoice in Christ even more boldly, for he is victorious over sin, death, and the world. As long as we are here [in this world]35 we have to sin. This life is not the dwelling place of righteousness,36 but, as Peter says,37 we look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness38 dwells."

Be honest about your sin and its consequences (and therefore your need for Christ), only then can you preach honestly about God's grace and honestly and faithfully cling to it.
To get who God really is, you must get who you really are. A sinner.

Upvote 0

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

1 John 1:8 "If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us."

Upvote 0
Jan 24, 2011
✟15,247.00
Faith
Christian
I think you miss the point of the phrase.

And I should note, if you think you are without sin, check the Law.
Is "sin boldly" considered by Lutherans to be an infallible statement by Martin Luther? I don't think I am without sin. But I believe that all things are possible with God's grace including avoiding sin. Even though there have been many times that I have fallen short and sinned, there were also many times that, by the grace of God, I was able to resist the temptation to sin. And I believe that I must continue to seek God's grace to help me to avoid temptation and sin. That's not the same as believing that I must "sin boldly" and go out of my way to sin in order to please God. The part in the Lord's prayer that says "lead us not into temptation" or more literally, "let us not fall into temptation" would be a pointless uterance if it were not possible to avoid sin and temptation. Avoidance of sin and temptation is impossible for us without God's grace, but with God's grace it is possible. And if it's possible with God's grace to avoid sin some of the time, then it's also possible with God's grace to avoid sin all of the time. I just haven't arrived at that point yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
G

goldbeach

Is "sin boldly" considered by Lutherans to be an infallible statement by Martin Luther? I don't think I am without sin. But I believe that all things are possible with God's grace including avoiding sin. Even though there have been many times that I have fallen short and sinned, there were also many times that, by the grace of God, I was able to resist the temptation to sin. And I believe that I must continue to seek God's grace to help me to avoid temptation and sin. That's not the same as believing that I must "sin boldly" and go out of my way to sin in order to please God. The part in the Lord's prayer that says "lead us not into temptation" or more literally, "let us not fall into temptation" would be a pointless uterance if it were not possible to avoid sin and temptation. Avoidance of sin and temptation is impossible for us without God's grace, but with God's grace it is possible. And if it's possible with God's grace to avoid sin some of the time, then it's also possible with God's grace to avoid sin all of the time. I just haven't arrived at that point yet.
You might want to read my post more throughly. You are still missing the point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KevinC1129

Simul justus et peccator
Jan 24, 2016
North Texas
✟490,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Either sin is with you, lying on your shoulders, or it is lying on Christ, the Lamb of God. Now if it is lying on your back, you are lost; but if it is resting on Christ, you are free, and you will be saved. Now choose what you want.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0