4. Neil Stubenhaus
5. Leland Sklar
6. Kayo (Darryl Simmons and Babyface)
7. Abraham Laboriel Sr.
8. Mark King (Level 42)
9. John Pierce
10. Jeff Berlin

Other Greats: Randy Jackson (Journey, Richard Marx, American
Idol Judge), Geddy Lee, Larry Graham, Stanley Clark, (under rated)Michael Porcaro etc.

Last edited:

56Bluesman

Jul 10, 2008
I live in beautiful Omaha Nebraska
✟8,252.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
1. James Jamerson
2. Bob Babbit
3.Donald Duck Dunn
4. Ron Carter
5. Charles Mingus

These are some of my fave masters of the groove. I could list a lot of other bass players that
I love, who've brought the instrument where it is today imho, but I can't type that long.

Upvote 0

thunderbyrd

Dec 26, 2005
Frankfort, ky
Visit site
✟1,485.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i'll list some that have made a big impression on me, over the years.

Gary Thain - he died in 1975. he was the bass player for uriah heep. i don't think i could stand too awful much uriah heep today, but whenever i have heard any of their stuff, it's gary's righteous bassline that stands out. plus you can actually hear him, pretty distinctly, on their recordings.

Berry Oakley - the bass player for the 1st, best version of the allman brothers. just listen to the original studio version of "whipping post" sometime. if you ever listen to "live at the fillmore", try to do so on headphones and just dig Berry's groove all the way thru.

Chuck Rainey - his playing on steely dan's "aja" album is pure groovalicious perfection. this is one of the best bass guitar albums ever, IMHO. this is the record that inspired and convinced me that bass was every bit the "valid means of expression" that electric guitar was and made me want to play bass.

Dan Hartman - Dan played on some records by the edgar winter group, that's him on "free ride", which is a cool old radio boogie song, if you ever hear it again, check out how cool his playing is on it. he went on and had some solo success in the '80's that i don't know much about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IesuGristAmddiffynwr

I'm just a kid.
Jul 5, 2010
Aberystwyth
✟15,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can't believe nobody's mentioned Cliff Burton! (RIP)
One of the most legendary bass players of all time

I haven't posted enough times to add links to my messages, but everyone check out Orion by Metallica. It's an instrumental song with a very good bass guitar partake, as well as an awesome bass solo around 2/3 of the way in. It's awesome :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mydnyte

Dec 7, 2008
✟47,133.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Berry Oakley - the bass player for the 1st, best version of the allman brothers. just listen to the original studio version of "whipping post" sometime. if you ever listen to "live at the fillmore", try to do so on headphones and just dig Berry's groove all the way thru.

Berry Oakley was incredible, always kind of makes you wonder what might have been if he and Duane hadn't died so young.

I also like:

Leon Wilkerson of Lynyrd Skynyrd
Jason Newsted of Metallica
Victor Wooten
Geddy Lee of Rush
And Flea of the RHCP

Upvote 0
Mar 8, 2012
✟4,712.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Single
1. Johny Myung (Dream Theatre)
2. Geddy Lee (Rush)
3. Alan Goldstein (Aghora. Great underground band, check out Formless. Buddhist metal at its best)
4. Stefan Fimmers (Necrophagist)
5. Myself. Yes, myself. Playing Dream Theatre, Rush and Aghora for 13 years has its benefits.
6. Justin Chancellor (Tool)
7. Victor Wooten
8. Les Claypool
9. Martin Mendez (Opeth)
10. Cliff Burton (No introduction necessary)

All of them have contributed greatly to the way I have formed my style, my chops, and my inspiration to write. All of them are great. But thats the definitive list for myself.

Upvote 0

TheGreenUke

Bassist
Mar 23, 2012
Middlesbrough, Teeside, UK
✟181.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
A few of my faves:

- Geddy Lee of Rush. Even if you don't like prog, give him credit for playing some darn cool bass, singing at the same time, plus swapping to synths and guitar some songs.
- Mark King of Level 42. Seems to be largely forgotten now, but is a killer slap-bassist and a good singer.
- Chris Squire- bassist for Yes, and simply killer live.
- Jack Bruce. One of my fave fretless players.
- Duff McKagan of Guns n Roses/Velvet Revolver. His basslines often go unnoticed for some reason, but are really quite good.

Reactions: abysmul
Upvote 0