Not open for further replies.

Rocky1960

Feb 10, 2011
✟743.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I created the following post in another thread which was apparently off the topic, so I wanted to ask the question here. I really am not concerend about the theological differences, but rather the psyche which is behind this seeming obsession:
Can I ask something? Just out of curiosity? What is this seeming fascination, or dare I say obsession, with one denomination - Catholics - in this forum? I see many different forums for all different denominations, and I assume that this general forum is where they all come to debate & discuss. But much of what I see is all about Catholics. I do not see threads asking why Methodists do what they do, or why Lutherans do what they do, or why Pentecostals do what they do. It is all Catholic, Catholic, and more Catholic. What is it about Catholics that seems to obsess and fascinate many of the members here?

Any logical explanations for this?

Last edited:

Howard Cneal

Oct 26, 2010
✟16,809.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There's lots of topics that are anti-pentecostal, anti-faith, anti-works, anti-Trinity, anti-hell, anti-heaven, anti-blessings, anti-religion, anti-no religion, anti-Old Testament, anti-New Testament, etc.

We often see what we want. Catholics get picked on here no more than any other sect or branch of Christianity. It seems all manner of beliefs get picked apart here, sooner or later. The internet is a hotbed for heretic hunters, religious loons, fanaticism and people all-too-quick to have a 'bible war' via mud-slinging, all the while hiding behind a keyboard, saying things they dare not say to any man in person.

It's sad and pathetic.

Upvote 0

Rocky1960

Feb 10, 2011
✟743.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We often see what we want.

Please do not patronize me sir, and try to understand my statement. I know there are threads arguing over different beliefs, but when it comes to identifying particular denominations, my post is spot on. I do not see "what I want to see". Why would I want to see such a thing? Maybe you are not seeing what you do not want to see. That would seem more likely based on the threads here.

Upvote 0

Kaitlin08

Dec 4, 2010
✟8,896.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
Any logical explanations for this?

Yes, the logical explanation is that the Catholic Church is a bogeyman for many Protestants. They dislike it without reason and without reflection. Bashing it becomes an opportunity for Protestants to find something in common (because they desperately need to find something in common) and to feel like they're crusading for God.

Upvote 0
D

DiligentlySeekingGod

Yes, the logical explanation is that the Catholic Church is a bogeyman for many Protestants.

That's an interesting assessment and an unfair one at that. Please be more specific as to why you would say that.

They dislike it without reason and without reflection.

This is simply untrue. As a Protestant myself, I know exactly the reasons why I don't believe in what the Catholic Church teaches or believes. And I reflect upon these reasons every time I read the threads and posts written by Catholics either trying to defend the Catholic Church or writing about the beliefs they have in the OBOB. I'm sure other Protestants will also disagree with your [unfounded] assessment of them concerning their reaction toward the Catholic Church. I'm also sure they will agree with me on the solid biblical truth that we are saved by faith through the grace of God (Ephesians 2:8-9). We do not need a church or doctrine to tell us otherwise. We can praise God that our salvation does not rest on the opinions or beliefs of a particular church, least one whose teachings are clearly unbiblical.

Bashing it becomes an opportunity for Protestants to find something in common (because they desperately need to find something in common) and to feel like they're crusading for God.

Is comparing the teaching and beliefs of the Catholic Church to Scripture bashing it? I think not. We desperately need something in common? The basis of our faith is Jesus, whether we disagree on the non-essentials of the Christian faith or not. We know our salvation depends on who Jesus is and what He did. It does not depend on what the Catholic or Orthodox Church tells us. Any one who claims Christ as Savior but has yet to examine themselves to see if they are truly in the faith (2 Corinthians 13:5) - according to Scripture - is in a real danger of being deceived, no matter what church or denomination they attend. As far as your last comment, has a Protestant ever told you that they feel they are crusading for God when they take a stand against the beliefs and teaching of the Catholic Church?

Upvote 0

Kaitlin08

Dec 4, 2010
✟8,896.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
DiligentlySeekingGod, I've seen this visceral, negative reaction against the Catholic Church from Protestants throughout my life. It's there in your post, if you really believe I'm saying that each and every Protestant acts this way. I've seen it in my own family, I saw it in myself as a child, and I continue to see it in person and on forums like this one. It's a very simple matter of us vs. them, and this of course is not a Christian way of seeing the world. In many ways this characteristic egoism goes back to Martin Luther, because he believed he had something to tell people, something that had been lost for 1500 years and that he was rediscovering. This is basically what all Protestants believe, that they, each one of them, has something to say and that people better listen because their salvation depends on it. Catholics don't tend to think this way. They're comfortable seeing themselves as servants of God who are working within a stream of thought that has in most ways already been ironed out for them. Of course, it's rare for the Catholic to describe him or herself as a servant of God, and it's common for the Protestant to describe him or herself this way. There's a reason for that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, the logical explanation is that the Catholic Church is a bogeyman for many Protestants. They dislike it without reason and without reflection. Bashing it becomes an opportunity for Protestants to find something in common (because they desperately need to find something in common) and to feel like they're crusading for God.

That was certainly true in the early 20th Cent. My parents grew up in the Baptist and Methodist churches, respectively, just before World War II. In that time all that was needed to stop a proposal was the observation that it was "Roman."

However by and large that's no longer true. Perhaps my view is affected by the fact that I'm in the more liberal arm of the Protestant tradition, but starting in the 60's Protestants and Catholics began sharing liturgical approaches, and joint action on social issues became more common.

Even a decade ago in groups like this Protestants were more commonly the aggressors in Protestant/Catholic arguments. At the moment I don't think that's true. I see a lot more "you aren't part of the true church" posts that "Catholics aren't Christian" in the discussion groups I frequent.

I think most Protestants now define themselves independently of the Catholic Church. There are certainly bad memories, and some Protestants no doubt still think of Catholics as non-Christian, but I don't think for most of us Catholics are bogeymen anymore. On a day to day basis, the Catholic Church is either a kind of distant partner (for more ecumenically minded Protestants) or irrelevant (for more conservative ones).

Upvote 0
D

DiligentlySeekingGod

Maybe because protestants tend to hold the Bible as a higher authority than Catholics, so perhaps see Catholics as unbiblical and so not following the true religions of Christianity.

Personally I don't really care, I'd rather bash Calvinism ;) :p

I agree with you, except for the "I'd rather bash Calvinism" part. ;)

Does that mean we have something in common? (sort of anyway?)
tongue.gif

Upvote 0

Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.