Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How many times have you heard this phrase, "Faith alone in Christ alone"?

I used to go to church and heard it all the time. The idea is that Christ has paid the penalty for our sin and our faith in him is the only thing it takes to save us from our sin, and that our works and being good is as good as filthy rags. Isaiah says as much in Isaiah 64:6: "But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away."

Then I came to this passage in James 2:24: "You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone."

Now I understand that we have to take this in context with the entire passage, but it still seems to be saying the same thing throughout. Here it is from verse 20:

"20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone."

So my question is, is it really faith ALONE in Christ alone?

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many miss the Gospel message by confusing intellectual acceptance with faith in the Person of Christ. They allow such a truth is real, yet may miss owning the Savior. One must be "born again" by possessing the Lord Jesus in their heart.

Beyond the Gospel, there is Church Truth and Spiritual Life in Christianity, and one needs to not scramble the Scripture, but be sure which they are addressing.

Upvote 0

ALEA40

Nov 22, 2013
NC
✟8,167.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I used to go to church and heard it all the time. The idea is that Christ has paid the penalty for our sin and our faith in him is the only thing it takes to save us from our sin, and that our works and being good is as good as filthy rags. Isaiah says as much in Isaiah 64:6: "But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away."

Then I came to this passage in James 2:24: "You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone."

Now I understand that we have to take this in context with the entire passage, but it still seems to be saying the same thing throughout. Here it is from verse 20:

"20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone."

This is a great topic to pray about. The Holy Spirit will guide you and give you the answer you seek. Since I'm a new christian, this is the answer that I have come to understand at this point in my christian journey. Other, more mature Christians, may have more insight:)

I think that they go hand in hand. One of the signs that a person has been saved (died and reborn in Christ) are the fruits of the Holy Spirit (love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control). These fruits are reflected in our works here on earth. These signs are what others see. It is how other Christians know that we are saved, that we “get it”, that our priorities are God first. We don't talk about our works. We try to do as much anonymously as possible. It is a way to honor, love and worship God every hour of every day.

God doesn't NEED our works. Like you said, our works are like filthy rags. He is God. This is His world and He can do anything He wants. But He does seem to want our works. He knows that our works help us grow, help us connect to others and ultimately find peace, joy and happiness while we're on this earth. He's preparing us for our lives in heaven, whatever that job may entail!

A christian wakes up every morning and says, “What can I do to further God's kingdom on earth today.” Not, “What can I do for myself today.” Before I became a Christian, I was the god of my own world (jobs, home, friendships, etc.). I relied on myself to accomplish everything. I didn't realize that God was waiting for me to recognize him, turn to him, and begin to trust and rely him for strength, courage and peace.

I hope you find the answer you are seeking. Blessings to you!

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What does this mean, in practical terms?

Yeah, I was going to ask the same question. I thought the Lord possesses us, not the other way around.

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What does this mean, in practical terms?
Yeah, I was going to ask the same question. I thought the Lord possesses us, not the other way around.

Okay, how about some examples of being born again? My understanding of being "born again" is that we die to the values of the world and we are "born again" into a totally new set of values called "The Kingdom of Heaven". These values are opposite to the values of the world. A large portion of the trouble Jesus found himself in was because he practiced these opposite values.

We are born again and become like little children learning all over again how we are supposed to behave and what we are supposed to do with life. We are the children and the teacher expects us to follow his instructions.

Now, on to a practical example.

LK 6:27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,

LK 6:28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

LK 6:29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also

Enemy loving. If there is something which can be said to be opposite of the values of this world, it's enemy loving, for sure.
The world teaches that the only way we can be safe is to build weapons and armies to kill our enemies if they threaten us.

But Jesus says that the only real way to win against an enemy is to love them. Most of us Christians know that's what we're supposed to do; we agree with the theory. But the practical application is different. We still pay taxes supporting the war. Some of us tacitly agree with many of the military decisions of our respective governments while others quite proudly support military action as being set up by God himself to kill our enemies for us and we do so because deep down we really are frightened of our enemies and we don't want to love them even if it means laying our lives down to do so.

"Dieing" to ourselves and being "born again" are both actions which can be rather painful and/or uncomfortable for us. We just naturally look for reasons why we shouldn't put ourselves in such uncomfortable situations, the kind which "enemy loving" calls for.

Upvote 0

trulyconverted

Nov 21, 2012
Earth
✟8,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think that they go hand in hand. One of the signs that a person has been saved (died and reborn in Christ) are the fruits of the Holy Spirit (love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control). These fruits are reflected in our works here on earth. These signs are what others see. It is how other Christians know that we are saved,

Exactly. You will know them by their fruits.

Being born again is ... The presence of the Holy Spirit indwelling in our heart. Without Him residing in our heart, then we are not born again.

That is why the fruits come along in our daily living, because the Holy Spirit in us produce them so that we may express them to the world.

So if these good fruits are not observed in the person that means there is no one in his heart producing them. That means the Holy Spirit is absent. Not there. But in saying that, we never know if the Holy Spirit will in time come to dwell in this person's heart. Only God knows. Like us, in the past we didn't have Him, then one glorious day He did come and dwell in our heart.

Upvote 0

roylee1970

Have you seen my binky?
Feb 10, 2012
Washington State
✟15,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

I believe it is. If you are sincere in your acceptance of Christ the rest will come naturally through him. Of course we will stumble because we are selfish by nature and are going to give into that selfishness. Truly accepting Christ will create good deeds and that is not something you do but him so yes it is in Christ alone. If they are not showing good deeds then one has to question whether or not they have truly accepted Christ. Anyway that's my take on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The world teaches that the only way we can be safe is to build weapons and armies to kill our enemies if they threaten us.

But Jesus says that the only real way to win against an enemy is to love them.

I'm interested in your viewpoint on a national level as to what we could do differently than what is being done now. Other than militarily responding when we are attacked, such as Pearl Harbor, 9/11 or a terrorist attack, what would be the Christ-based option by Washington DC, assuming Washington DC was operating on Christian principles?

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm interested in your viewpoint on a national level as to what we could do differently than what is being done now. Other than militarily responding when we are attacked, such as Pearl Harbor, 9/11 or a terrorist attack, what would be the Christ-based option by Washington DC, assuming Washington DC was operating on Christian principles?

When a "nation" operates on Christian principles, we are NOT talking about the government. Our government is a representative democracy that is corrupted by special interests that overwhelm the interests of the people.

If the PEOPLE operated on Christian principles, the our government would follow suit.

At best, our corrupt government is an indicator of our corruption as a people. At worst, it is plague on our heads and a punishment for our wickedness as a nation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Omena

Brother
Oct 17, 2012
Holetown
✟15,863.00
Faith
Christian
BryanW92 said:
When a "nation" operates on Christian principles, we are NOT talking about the government. Our government is a representative democracy that is corrupted by special interests that overwhelm the interests of the people.

If the PEOPLE operated on Christian principles, the our government would follow suit.

At best, our corrupt government is an indicator of our corruption as a people. At worst, it is plague on our heads and a punishment for our wickedness as a nation.

That's a very interesting point of view. I feel that people tend to put their faith in their government more than in God, and they do so on the basis that God as "appointed" them, or that the government wouldn't be in power if God had not allowed them to be (as if God doesn't allow bad things to happen). So when the government announces war, the people (for the most part) raise their flags and salute, as if the order came from Jesus himself.

If we want to live by the principles of the Kingdom of Heaven, we need to do so WITHOUT our government's support. If the government were to agree to such a society, then they would essentially cease to BE the government, because the society they would be agreeing to already has a President.

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That's a very interesting point of view. I feel that people tend to put their faith in their government more than in God, and they do so on the basis that God as "appointed" them, or that the government wouldn't be in power if God had not allowed them to be (as if God doesn't allow bad things to happen). So when the government announces war, the people (for the most part) raise their flags and salute, as if the order came from Jesus himself.

I wonder if it's really because they believe God supports a government going to war or all the various laws made by these governments which are not consistent with the values of Heaven...or something else.

Invariably, when pointed to specific examples of laws which contradict God's values people will admit that governments can do the wrong thing at times but for the most part people will support government policies which they feel are convenient for them despite inconsistencies with the values of Heaven.

One example is the creation of military institutions for protection. Jesus taught that we should love our enemies, not kill them. But enemy loving is hard to do. What happens when the enemy tries to kill us, or enslave us, take away our stuff or in some other way spitefully use us? We don't want that but it's hard to believe that an invisible God will swoop down out of the skies to miraculously save us from all our enemies.

What happens if God doesn't decide to protect us? What happens if he decides that he wants us to die for the sake of showing love to our enemies? That was okay for Jesus. He was poor and besides, that was his job! He did it so we don't have to, right?

How much easier it is to rely on protection which we can see and manipulate according to our own fears and desires. Military institutions give us the feeling of comfort and protection. We can shape them however we want and order them to perform however we want. We don't need to depend on the transcendent power of an invisible God who's goals and values are very different from our own. But we can't say it that way because it sounds terrible.

This is where the "obey the laws of the land" doctrine comes in so handy. We can kill our enemies and maintain our comfort all while claiming it's what God wants.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Ahh, the reoccurring dichotomy between social justice and personal holiness. Does anyone really think that Abraham did not have an abundance of faith to be able to do that work of sacrificing his son? Read on in James and it talks about Rahab next. Do you think that she did not have an abundance of faith as well?

You see, if you have an abundance of faith, then your works will proclaim it to the world. But, if you attempt to replace faith with works (as many progressive Christians do today), then your works are the filthy rags that are spoken of in the bible. Your works of holiness must always come from your faith and not from your personal desire to "do something".

We are saved by faith alone...and faith without works is dead. But we are not saved by works. It is not good to worry about how much of each you need. Jesus came to give us life and to give it abundantly, so have an abundance of faith and do an abundance of works, but never look at another person and say, "you don't do enough works."

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But, if you attempt to replace faith with works (as many progressive Christians do today),

Hi Bryan. Can you give some practical examples of someone who is trying to "replace faith with works"?

Pretend you are talking to someone who needs clear examples in order to understand the point (cause, that's kinda how I am in real life ^.^ ).

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Bryan. Can you give some practical examples of someone who is trying to "replace faith with works"?

Pretend you are talking to someone who needs clear examples in order to understand the point (cause, that's kinda how I am in real life ^.^ ).

A Methodist pastor I know told me that he doesn't like to preach on personal holiness or salvation because if people feel that they are secure in their faith, then they will not serve the poor as much as they would if they have some doubt in their mind that works are not necessary.

A guy in a food pantry told me to not wear my church t-shirt because they have non-Christians working there too and that "our work here is more important than our faith".

Another Methodist pastor once told me that as long as there is one hungry person, then our faith in personal salvation is meaningless.

Need more?

A government that invokes the name of Jesus to justify a bloated entitlement state, while denying a high school senior the right to pray at graduation...or even in a prayer group that meets privately on school property.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
A guy in a food pantry told me to not wear my church t-shirt because they have non-Christians working there too and that "our work here is more important than our faith".

Another Methodist pastor once told me that as long as there is one hungry person, then our faith in personal salvation is meaningless.

Yikes! These 2 examples made me cringe! Hearing either of these myself would make me look like a deer in headlights thinking, "Huh? Did he really just say that???"

Upvote 0
R

Receiver

...So my question is, is it really faith ALONE in Christ alone?
Christ said "he that believes and is baptised will be saved" (Mark 16:15-16) and "believers" will "ask, seek knock" to receive the Holy Spirit, otherwise known as being born again and evidenced by speaking in tongues - see Acts 2:4, 33; Mark 16:17, John 3:8.
This is *how* Jesus saves - Titus 3:5-6, Romans 8:8-9, Acts 2:37-38.
This is what all the disciples did and what they taught those they were sent to.

Have you obeyed Christ in these matters?

Upvote 0

Shadow316

May 21, 2014
✟7,886.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

yes, basically. If your faith IS in Christ, your life (works) will show it.

As with Abraham - because of his faith (belief) he obeyed God.

I believe it is. If you are sincere in your acceptance of Christ the rest will come naturally through him. Of course we will stumble because we are selfish by nature and are going to give into that selfishness. Truly accepting Christ will create good deeds and that is not something you do but him so yes it is in Christ alone. If they are not showing good deeds then one has to question whether or not they have truly accepted Christ. Anyway that's my take on it.
I agree. Many think that once someone is saved they will be perfect people. Not so. We will remain human and have lots of stumbles. We start out as babes in Christ feeding on milk, then we move on to strained food, then jr food - somewhere down the road we'll get to the steak and potatoes. We crawl before we walk. And walk before we run.

Those I know who have been saved have had their lives turned around. They are very different than they were before.

I think Mark 16:16 is a verse that is often used to support that one needs to be baptized to be saved.

the whole verse is : 'He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.' NKJV

baptism isn't included in the 2nd half of it. It doesn't say one will be condemned if not baptized.

baptism is a symbol of our spiritual death and resurrection into a new life with Christ.

One who IS saved should want to be baptized. I sure did and I'd been baptized at least twice in my younger years.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian

Yes it really is. The emphasis is not on faith but on the object of saving faith, Jesus Christ.

If you study James closely you will find that he is speaking of being justified before men, not before God. Paul declares that man is justified by faith. James says he is justified by works. Unless we understand that one is speaking of justification before God, and the other of justification before men, James would appear to flatly contradict Paul and scripture would be contradicting itself.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes it really is. The emphasis is not on faith but on the object of saving faith, Jesus Christ.

If you study James closely you will find that he is speaking of being justified before men, not before God. Paul declares that man is justified by faith. James says he is justified by works. Unless we understand that one is speaking of justification before God, and the other of justification before men, James would appear to flatly contradict Paul and scripture would be contradicting itself.

James does not disagree with Paul.
He merely says.. works are the outer evidence of inner faith.

It could not be less complicated.

How do you know a kettle is hot...?
There is steam coming out. The steam did not make the kettle hot.the fire did.
The steam is evidence of what the fire has caused.
Some say they are a boiling kettle ..but have no steam. By steam it is known whether they be hot.... or not.

-simplistic analogy ,but it's only repeating what James and Paul have said.

Upvote 0