Fair mandatory tax/fee for parish priest to perform baptism or wedding?

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,185,475.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
indeed He is risen!

not to be that guy, but charging for performing a sacrament seems wrong to me.
The chanter and probably a few others would need to be there when they would otherwise be free of obligations, so I think it is reasonable for some payment to be made. People often throw rice or confetti which needs to be cleaned up afterwards too. I think it should be a token amount, especially if they are members of the parish, but if they are visitors from another parish then I don't think it is unreasonable to pay a little more.

Just playing devil's advocate :sorry:

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,469,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The chanter and probably a few others would need to be there when they would otherwise be free of obligations, so I think it is reasonable for some payment to be made. People often throw rice or confetti which needs to be cleaned up afterwards too. I think it should be a token amount, especially if they are members of the parish, but if they are visitors from another parish then I don't think it is unreasonable to pay a little more.

Just playing devil's advocate :sorry:
I guess so, at least for the stuff not related to doing the sacrament (like the clean up or renting a parish hall).

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟137,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'd call it a tip. I mean, when I eventually have my own place and a priest comes for a house blessing I will definitely provide food and at least something for gas money.

I believe the Serbs in the US here say that they're not charging for the sacrament, but instead charge for use of the church (or something like that) or the choir/chanters to show up.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,185,475.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'd call it a tip. I mean, when I eventually have my own place and a priest comes for a house blessing I will definitely provide food and at least something for gas money.
Make sure there is a pot plant within reach of where your priest is sitting. He will likely graciously receive whatever you offer him, but when they are doing a lot of house blessings there is only so much coffee a man can drink ^_^

• Haha
Reactions: E.C.
Upvote 0

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟281,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is such a complicated issue to address. Some priests are paid full-time salaries, and some are paid nothing or are even the chief support for the parish's finances. Some parishes are full of tithing members, and some have mostly non-contributing members.

I don't like mandatory anything when it comes to giving, but it is important to encourage people to give for the support of the church and its clergy. It is good for both the church and for the people giving.

If your priest is well compensated, I wouldn't worry too much about additional giving for "special services." If however he is barely paid or not at all, that could be more necessary than you realize. Bottom line is if you want clergy, take care of them. In the Old Testament they were provided for by receiving the best portions of the offerings of the people. Make sure they get the best portion now.

I say all this as a priest, so take it as self-interested if you're so inclined, but I will say that if I was ever given $1500 for serving a baptism, I'd probably pass out from the shock of it. I have been given anywhere from 0 to around $300, and would never let someone go unbaptized, unmarried, or unburied something so trivial as money.

Be generous with your priest as it is a gift you give to God. Priests, be generous with your people as a gift to God. If we all so that, we'll see how generous God is to us!

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,469,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't like mandatory anything when it comes to giving, but it is important to encourage people to give for the support of the church and its clergy. It is good for both the church and for the people giving.
this

I say all this as a priest, so take it as self-interested if you're so inclined, but I will say that if I was ever given $1500 for serving a baptism, I'd probably pass out from the shock of it. I have been given anywhere from 0 to around $300, and would never let someone go unbaptized, unmarried, or unburied something so trivial as money.
I have had occasions where I have been given a large chunk of change for offering the sacraments. I just thank them and donate it.

Upvote 0

desertpelican

Apr 24, 2023
Arizona
✟10,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
This is such a complicated issue to address. Some priests are paid full-time salaries, and some are paid nothing or are even the chief support for the parish's finances. Some parishes are full of tithing members, and some have mostly non-contributing members.

If your priest is well compensated, I wouldn't worry too much about additional giving for "special services." If however he is barely paid or not at all, that could be more necessary than you realize. Bottom line is if you want clergy, take care of them. In the Old Testament they were provided for by receiving the best portions of the offerings of the people. Make sure they get the best portion now.

Be generous with your priest as it is a gift you give to God. Priests, be generous with your people as a gift to God. If we all so that, we'll see how generous God is to us!
Thank you for your response. This is what I was thinking. The question was posed to me by a friend and I gave a response along your lines. There are a lot of nuances to the varying circumstances of location, finances, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums