• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Extra sound sensitivity when physically sick

blanning

Sep 20, 2010
✟7,635.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Do you have increased sound sensitivity when you are sick?

Yes.

Being sick in general makes me more irritable, less "normal", and more disconnected. And I'm more likely to be annoyed by background noise or bad acoustics like in a shopping mall. I've started getting migraines over the last 5 years or so and those really amplify my sensory problems. I really need the earplugs when that happens. And migraines and garden variety headaches also make me sensitive to bright light. Sunglasses help with that. When my head doesn't hurt, I'm not sensitive to light at all. But the sound problem is always with me.

I always carry around ear plugs with me to take the edge off, even when I'm not sick. And they really help me sleep.

brian

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2010
✟8,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I hear that. I normally have sensory issues, but I am sick and notice that everything seems more amplified and intolerable. Just went to the grocery store and was flirting with a meltdown with people going in different directions, came home and cannot eat because was in kitchen and roommate is taking pots / dishware out etc and its making clanking sounds that are peircing right through me, had to leave. Even the sound of the opening of the microwave door etc are bothersome. I normally have sensory issues but notice they are amplified right now. maybe it has to do with the type of sickness I have, I have been noticing a faint soreness in the top of my throat and transient faint pain off and on in one of my ears. I am congested too on that side. maybe the fluid in my inner ear is altered right now causing the amplification of the sensory issues.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟962,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I am sick or not, most regularly occurring sights, sounds & smells fade into the background. It is the unusual sights, sounds & smells that I find nearly impossible to ignore, even if they are slight.

Upvote 0