Sinner and Saint
Dec 31, 2007
Adelaide
✟16,893.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
As Christians God has called each of us to follow Christ (see 1 Cor. 1:9 and others), but has God called you individually in a specific way? If so, how did he do it? How can you be sure it was him? What did/has he called you to do? How are you going with it?

I thought I'd make this thread because I know at least 1 person here falls into this category (OldTimePreaching), and I'm curious to see if others have been called.

I also ask because I'm still not sure where I stand on the whole idea of God calling individual people for certain things. I know it does happen in the Bible (e.g. Paul) but should we expect it in our lives?

Reactions: Andrew12

Nomarga

Nov 19, 2010
Iowa
✟16,316.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I also ask because I'm still not sure where I stand on the whole idea of God calling individual people for certain things. I know it does happen in the Bible (e.g. Paul) but should we expect it in our lives?

I would say you probably shouldn't expect such things. It sets you up for failure because you start expecting divine portents regarding major decisions instead of just "going with your gut" (and with how you're geared).

Plus, if for some reason you don't get a "double rainbow" sign at every crossroads, you're apt to think something is wrong with your spirituality and may enter a very worrisome, doubtful period.

If you think you've gotten such a sign, more power to you, but in my experiences expecting such a thing is foolish.

* To clarify, I'm talking about major life changing "call from God" events you hear about, not "feeling" a certain calling. Feeling the urge to go a certain way for me classifies as "how you're geared," so long as it's not a conviction planted by others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrew12

A Knight of the Lord
Nov 4, 2010
Mainstreet, AnyTown
Visit site
✟17,283.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
well, you see God calls each of us for a special work, some to be singers, some to be teachers, some to be preachers, some to pray, and some to witness. God gives us talents and abilities that we should use for His Glory. Like the talent to sing, or play an instrument. Or even the ability to teach, or even to be able to work the sound system, or clean the church, or just pray for people. God calls each of us differently and for different purposes.

My personal testimony in this case is this.
I had been saved for a while, when I felt that God had a purpose for my life. I prayed a lot, studied His word, and sought His divine guidance. Then one day I felt in my heart as if God wanted me to preach His word. well honestly, that scared the bajeebies out of me. so I tried to teach sunday school, and sing in the choir, but I never could get rid of that gnawing feeling between my heart and stomach that I should be preaching. I tried to get out of it for about 3 or 4 months and I tried every excuse that I could fathom. I'm not smart enough, or old enough, or well educated enough, or bold enough...etc. But when you don't do what God tells you to do, you get in trouble, and I did. Church was not enjoyable, nor was any form of Christian music. I couldn't even read my Bible without that feeling tearing me up inside. I finally submitted to God's will and announced my calling to preach the following Sunday.( I have never been to seminary, nor Bible college, I rely wholly on God to provide me with wisdom, insight and understanding through studying His word and praying about everything. He has never failed me nor left me. )

Since then I have been preaching in my church, other churches, and even on my college campus. On that campus I have been spit at, had garbage thrown at me, been cursed at non-stop, been mocked, belittled, and verbally abused.

But no matter how I feel, or what happens I feel lead to preach and spread God's Holy Word. It is a tangible feeling within my being that God has called me to this work and has provided means and opportunity to do so. Yes, I have been discouraged, but I've never given up on God because He never gave up on me.

I hope that clarifies a bit. :)

Upvote 0

JasperJackson

Sinner and Saint
Dec 31, 2007
Adelaide
✟16,893.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
well, you see God calls each of us for a special work, some to be singers, some to be teachers, some to be preachers, some to pray, and some to witness. God gives us talents and abilities that we should use for His Glory. Like the talent to sing, or play an instrument. Or even the ability to teach, or even to be able to work the sound system, or clean the church, or just pray for people. God calls each of us differently and for different purposes.

My personal testimony in this case is this.
I had been saved for a while, when I felt that God had a purpose for my life. I prayed a lot, studied His word, and sought His divine guidance. Then one day I felt in my heart as if God wanted me to preach His word. well honestly, that scared the bajeebies out of me. so I tried to teach sunday school, and sing in the choir, but I never could get rid of that gnawing feeling between my heart and stomach that I should be preaching. I tried to get out of it for about 3 or 4 months and I tried every excuse that I could fathom. I'm not smart enough, or old enough, or well educated enough, or bold enough...etc. But when you don't do what God tells you to do, you get in trouble, and I did. Church was not enjoyable, nor was any form of Christian music. I couldn't even read my Bible without that feeling tearing me up inside. I finally submitted to God's will and announced my calling to preach the following Sunday.( I have never been to seminary, nor Bible college, I rely wholly on God to provide me with wisdom, insight and understanding through studying His word and praying about everything. He has never failed me nor left me. )

Since then I have been preaching in my church, other churches, and even on my college campus. On that campus I have been spit at, had garbage thrown at me, been cursed at non-stop, been mocked, belittled, and verbally abused.

But no matter how I feel, or what happens I feel lead to preach and spread God's Holy Word. It is a tangible feeling within my being that God has called me to this work and has provided means and opportunity to do so. Yes, I have been discouraged, but I've never given up on God because He never gave up on me.

I hope that clarifies a bit. :)

Thanks Man. Much appreciated.

Do you think you'll ever go to seminary? That might make you a better preacher. Or maybe it'll just be a distraction to your preaching.

When you told your pastor was he encouraging or wary?

Upvote 0

Andrew12

A Knight of the Lord
Nov 4, 2010
Mainstreet, AnyTown
Visit site
✟17,283.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
He was very encouraging. In most Independant Baptist Churches Preachers and such do not usually go to seminary. We learn from hearing other older more experienced preachers, studying, and most importantly praying. see, when a man announces his calling to preach then he does so, after a while, if the church believes that his call is true and he is doing right, then they will officially license him. if a church is without a pastor and they pray and ask a licensed preacher to be the pastor of their church, if he accepts, his church will ordain him. then he is an ordained preacher and can pastor a church.

Hope this also helps. :)

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
As Christians God has called each of us to follow Christ (see 1 Cor. 1:9 and others), but has God called you individually in a specific way? If so, how did he do it? How can you be sure it was him? What did/has he called you to do? How are you going with it?

I thought I'd make this thread because I know at least 1 person here falls into this category (OldTimePreaching), and I'm curious to see if others have been called.

there has been one time in my life that I felt that God was calling me for something specific
I do not know if we should expect it or not
the first vocation of every human being is to know and love God

Upvote 0

AlexBP

Apr 20, 2010
Virginia
✟10,340.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
God called me to leave university and become a high school teacher in Virginia. That was four years ago. I am still working at that job and intend to continue doing so until God tells me otherwise. As for how I knew, it was partially a direct experience that I cannot explain, but also the fact that the calling involved too many coincidences to chalk up to anything else. I had just become a Christian and just realized that I would never be happy in the university setting. As it happened then, someone introduced me to the organization that found me the current job, I interviewed and did the best interview of my life, the people I met here in Virginia were wonderful Christians who have done a tremendous amount to help me learn and grow in Christ. It couldn't be happening by chance.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God found me cause I went a looking for him.
But I think He had an idea that I was going to go a looking for him to begin with.

but that is another subject for another day and another forum.

But where I don't know exactly what God has called me precisely to do...I know I give him ALL of me...even up to my mortal life I can freely give it up for him. And if I am lucky enough I just might.

I know these days there is nothing more common than a guy standing there with his bible in his hands telling me that I gotta follow (believe just like) him if I expect to find Jesus....but I have lost that kind of fight in me a long time ago. The basics are all I care about these days. If you got them right I ain't never gonna say nuthin. (unless you ask)

Even still I find that many a "religious" denomination type person can get all kinds of angry with what I believe. That is to be expected too...after all if the killed and ridiculed Jesus I have finally achieved something when that happens.

I have a plan though and am working my plan. Lord willing and the creek don't rise...I just might be able to do some good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

So my brain isn't functioning at 100% right now so bear with my incredibly short answer and I'll try to come back, once I've had some sleep, and give a more thorough answer.

I'm called into mission work. I am currently at seminary studying and preparing for the mission field. My hope is to go and work in Ireland some day. It's a long story but I'll tell y'all about it later.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums