Midwest
✟157,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I need some help here From a LCMS perspective. Does anybody have knowledge of the Bible’s timeline of Exodus and Egyptian chronology? The dates Egyptologists give don’t line up with the Bible. Is the Bible wrong or were the Egyptians wrong and please give the reasons why or links to those reasons.

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,657.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I need some help here From a LCMS perspective. Does anybody have knowledge of the Bible’s timeline of Exodus and Egyptian chronology? The dates Egyptologists give don’t line up with the Bible. Is the Bible wrong or were the Egyptians wrong and please give the reasons why or links to those reasons.
"We believe, teach and confess that all Scripture is given by the inspiration of God the Holy Spirit and that God is therefore the true Author of every word of Scripture." Source

I'm fascinated with Egyptology especially the younger dryas impact theory and how that relates to global flooding, etc. I would say the debate on Egyptian chronology is far from settled and scholarly consensus changes based on new discoveries, pet theories, influence from donors, etc. The science in Egyptology isn't very scientific IMO but it sure is fun.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
If I can post as a guest, as I am Messianic and not Lutheran but as far as dating the Exodus we can only get a good guess. The clue to dating the Exodus and identifying the Pharaoh of the Exodus is found in Isaiah:

Isaiah 52:4 For thus saith the Lord GOD, My people went down aforetime into Egypt to sojourn there; and the Assyrian oppressed them without cause.

God identifies the Pharaoh of the Exodus as an Assyrian, not an Egyptian. The only time when the Assyrians could have ruled in Egypt within the proper time frame would have been during the 15th, Hyksos, Dynasty.

This blog post goes through identifying the approximate date of the Exodus.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"We believe, teach and confess that all Scripture is given by the inspiration of God the Holy Spirit and that God is therefore the true Author of every word of Scripture." Source

I'm fascinated with Egyptology especially the younger dryas impact theory and how that relates to global flooding, etc. I would say the debate on Egyptian chronology is far from settled and scholarly consensus changes based on new discoveries, pet theories, influence from donors, etc. The science in Egyptology isn't very scientific IMO but it sure is fun.

Yours in the Lord,

jm
Does the Bible even say when the Exodus occurred? I know the dates aren’t supposed to line up with Egyptology but does the Bible even say?

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If I can post as a guest, as I am Messianic and not Lutheran but as far as dating the Exodus we can only get a good guess. The clue to dating the Exodus and identifying the Pharaoh of the Exodus is found in Isaiah:

Isaiah 52:4 For thus saith the Lord GOD, My people went down aforetime into Egypt to sojourn there; and the Assyrian oppressed them without cause.

God identifies the Pharaoh of the Exodus as an Assyrian, not an Egyptian. The only time when the Assyrians could have ruled in Egypt within the proper time frame would have been during the 15th, Hyksos, Dynasty.

This blog post goes through identifying the approximate date of the Exodus.
Certainly you can post.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,657.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Does the Bible even say when the Exodus occurred? I know the dates aren’t supposed to line up with Egyptology but does the Bible even say?
The Bible never says in 2000 BC Abraham was born or this was the year of the Exodus etc. But we know from the time Solomon began building the Temple of the Lord that the Exodus was 480 years before. See 1 Kings 6:1, however, this number is debated. See this link.

If you put the Temple at c 1000 BC and add minimally 480 years, you'll get c 1480. However it's possible to have a margin of error as in the debate I linked to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm LCMS, and have a history degree, but that doesn't make me an expert in Egyptology. Dating ancient events is very difficult. Maybe people who live in a highly organized society obsessed with keeping records don't fully appreciate that not all of history nor all societies are that way. In some societies objective time is not important. Even in some where records were kept their reference points have been lost to history.

In other words, even if the Bible says when the Exodus occurred, and it does somewhat say that, it was said with respect to cultural references that are difficult for us to interpret accurately.

One aspect that seems somewhat unique to the LCMS, and an aspect I highly treasure, is that if the Bible is silent on a particular detail, we simply say, "We don't know." The Bible never claims to provide humanity with all knowledge.

Last edited:
Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

EclipseEventSigns

Jun 17, 2022
Western Canada
✟33,506.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually the Bible does provide enough and all the information required to date the Exodus exactly. No, it does not match with modern archaeology. It does not even match the consensus Christian scholars. I'm just working on a 2 part video which explains all the details in the Biblical text and the exact year. I haven't released the 2nd video yet. But I'll give you the outcome: Exodus from Egypt was in 1457 BC
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5hXmAa691127dO2GlNGSIDAT8xdEtU32

Upvote 0

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟47,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, firstly Egyptologists need to learn French and German to read everything; then there aren't a lot of Christian Egyptologists besides Dr Falk who I think is working on the Exodus timeline himself. It's insanely complicated and most specialize in a tiny particular area like Solar religion, or epigraphy, so it has to be one who specializes in that one topic I think. Not to be too negative, but between the rising water table in Egypt ruining artifacts, and the war in Sudan (the later pharaohs from Sudan) , the future is grim for this field.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums